Or was it that I’d never believed in myself to begin with?

Nancy88

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:07 am
As I walked back down the hall to my classroom, my cheeks burned with humiliation. None of my teachers knew the real me --they’d never taken the time to find out who I was. Or was it that I’d never believed in myself to begin with?

What does the second sentence mean? To begin with what? The author was a mediocre high-school student and was disppointed at her teacher's commentments on her.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 665 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 05:12 am
@Nancy88,
First, "commentment" is not a word in English--not that i've ever seen. Comments works just fine in your sentence.

The author states that her teachers didn't know her, that they had never takent the time to find out who she was, to explain the incident in which she had been humiliated. Then, she offers an alternative explanation, which is why the last sentence begins with "or"--which is not that her teachers didn't know her, but rather that she lacked self-confidence, that she had never believed in herself.
0 Replies