Why should any drugs be illegal?

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 03:44 pm
Even if I want to snort crystal drain cleaner, what business is it of yours? It's my life, my body, why do you have any right to control what I do with it?

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 03:52 pm
At the point at which you endanger others, or impose an unwarranted expense on society, the state has a legitimate interest in interfering. If you are snorting drain cleaner in the privacy of your home, it is unlikely that anyone will be interferring with you, and you'll probably be checking out anyway--good riddance. Drain cleaner, by the way, is not an illegal drug, so your example is a non sequitur to the proposed subject of the thread.

If you are using any drug, legal or not, in an irresponsible manner, the state has a compelling interest in interferring with you. If you drink booze and drive, you endager others who have not chosen to join your in your unwise activities. If you are doing any drug in public, and may endanger others in doing those drugs, the state has a compelling interest in interfering with your activity. Whatever you do in the privacy of your home, without otherwise attracting the unwanted attention of law enforcement agents, becomes moot in such a discussion--the state has no enforcement opportunity.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 04:19 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Drain cleaner, by the way, is not an illegal drug, so your example is a non sequitur to the proposed subject of the thread.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. It is against the law to knowingly breathe, inhale, or drink ANY vapor-releasing toxic substance.

For example, see: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03403.htm

There are many other drugs that are legal to possess but are illegal to sell as intended for human consumption or to consume (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Analog_Act).

The subject at hand is about more than just possession. It's about consumption.

Setanta wrote:
Whatever you do in the privacy of your home, without otherwise attracting the unwanted attention of law enforcement agents, becomes moot in such a discussion--the state has no enforcement opportunity.

That sounds a lot like the "don't ask, don't tell" mentality. If I do drugs in my home and then later confess to it, why does the state have any right to take action against me? It's not moot at all so please stop being so dismissive of the issue.
Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 04:26 pm
@Night Ripper,
You have a single example from the state of Arizona. One swallow does not a summer make.

I well understand that the subject is about consumption--i don't need you to tell me that. That's why i have mentioned both public behavior and private behavior--i guess that went right over your head. There is no "don't ask don't tell mentality" in operation here. It was just a comment on the pragmatic aspects of drug abuse. If you do it in your home, and are not otherwise attracting public attention, it is highly unlikely that you'll be arrested or prosecuted. Noting that that is the case is neither a condemnation, nor an approval of the stupidity of taking drugs.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 04:44 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You have a single example from the state of Arizona. One swallow does not a summer make.

Your ignorance of the law is not really my concern but here's the most complete list I could compile in a few minutes.

Arizona Stat. Ann. §13-3403 (this is where I live so that's why it matters to me)
Colorado Rev. Stat. §18-18-412
Florida Stat. §877.111
Idaho Code §18-1502B
Illinois Rev. Stat. 720§690
Kentucky Rev. Stat. §217.900
Louisiana Rev. Stat. §14:93.1
Maryland Code, Crim. Law §5-709(b)
Massachusetts Gen. Laws Ann. 270 §18
Minnesota Stat. Ann. §609.684
Mississippi Code Ann. §97-27-33
Montana Code Anno. §45-9-121
New Hampshire Rev. Stat. Ann. §644:5-a
New York CLS Pub Health §3380
Ohio Rev. Code Ann. §2925.32
Oregon Rev. Stat. §167.808
South Dakota Codified Laws Ann. §22-42-15
Tennessee Code Ann. §39-17-422
Texas Health and Safety Code Ann. §485
Vermont Stat. Ann. Health 18§1510
Virginia Va. Code §18.2-264
Wisconsin Stat. Ann. §134.63

According to http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs07/708/708p.pdf there are 46 states with similar laws so I'm missing quite a few.

Are you satisfied now? I should hope so.

Setanta wrote:
If you do it in your home, and are not otherwise attracting public attention, it is highly unlikely that you'll be arrested or prosecuted.

Well, thanks for pointing out the glaringly obvious fact that crimes the police are unaware of usually go unpunished. Although, you didn't answer my question. Why should the state have the right to take action against me for doing drugs in my home?
dogdog

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 04:58 pm
It depends who else is in your home and whether or not your behavior poses a threat to another.

I believe the issue is not the drugs themselves, but the cost to others. For many years I considered drug abuse a victimless crime. Even though my mother was an alcoholic and I suffered as a youngster because of it, I didn't consider myself a victim, and of course, my mother was consuming a legal drug - but that's kind of beside the point.

After working in public schools for a few years I began to piece together the impact drug abuse has, especially on our children. I really don't care if some guy wants to kill himself with meth, for example. But if he is a father or if he ends up in an emergency room and I have to pay for it - well - I start to think differently.

I can't tell you how many kids have cried to me about their relatives abusing drugs, and often abusing each other. It's a nasty thing.

Still, the war on drugs only makes things worse and makes the situation more dangerous for all of us. Not to mention what U.S. drug consumption is doing to Mexican society.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:03 pm
@dogdog,
dogdog wrote:
if he ends up in an emergency room and I have to pay for it - well - I start to think differently

That's right. You should also be outraged at people that are obese, engage in contact sports or other dangerous lifestyle choices. They are ultimately going to cost you money. That's another issue however and has little to nothing to do with the legality of drugs. The real problem is that the government is stealing money from you and giving it away to someone else.
dogdog

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:09 pm
@Night Ripper,
I think health care is relevant to the question, but it gets sticky. I have mixed feelings because I get a bad taste in my mouth when I hear the phrase "nanny state," but there are obviously a lot of adults out there who could use nannies.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in your last sentence.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 05:17 pm
@dogdog,
dogdog wrote:

I think health care is relevant to the question, but it gets sticky. I have mixed feelings because I get a bad taste in my mouth when I hear the phrase "nanny state," but there are obviously a lot of adults out there who could use nannies.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in your last sentence.

People make bad decisions. Either you outlaw overeating, sports, etc. or you stop letting bad decisions affect you. That is the point of my last sentence. That problem exists regardless of the legality of drugs. Outlawing drugs but allowing people to be unhealthy is inconsistent. If we stop taxing each other, there won't be an issue of how your tax dollars are spent.

I'm sure that lung cancer and alcoholics cost a lot more money anyways. A few extra drugs probably won't add much but I can't back that up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 07:42 pm
@Night Ripper,
In the first place, the number of places which prohibit you from using drain cleaner as a drug is not relevant. It is not illegal to purchase or possess drain cleaner, even if it is illegal to use it as a drug in some jurisdictions. So, no, there is nothing for me to be satisfied about--it's not relevant.

I've already pointed out the compelling interests a state has in restricting or forbidding drug use. The comments about what you do in your home are only to point out a distinction between public actions, which justify state intervention, and private acts which are unlikely to attract state intervetion.

None of this is difficult, even though you seem intent on making it appear dificult. The titular question is why drugs should be illegal. I've answered that. I don't give a rat's ass whether or not you like the answer. I don't give a rat's ass if every jurisdiction on the planet forbids you to use drain cleaner as a drug--it is still legal to purchase and possess drain cleaner. None of that is to the point.

Since you are unwilling or unable to acknowledge that i've given you a simple and reasonable answer to that titular question, i can only assume that you want to argue for argument's sake. Apparently, the titular question is rhetorical for you--you want to insist that there is no reason that drugs should be illegal. I think it would be better for you to be honest about that sort of thing in the future.

There's nothing more i need write here.
vikorr

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:07 pm
Quote:
The subject at hand is about more than just possession. It's about consumption.
Perhaps you should modify your title, which does not reflect this - or at least have made that clear in the body of your OP. Setanta’s replies, which were fine, were in relation to both ownership and consumption. He certainly made valid points directly related to consumption and outcomes, which I noticed you ignored.

Govt and community costs directly related to drugs (rather than the fight against them) may include : rehabilitation centres and support agencies, police and ambulance time spent or wasted (in violent, mental, or other effects, rather than processing charges), health websites/info/education programs related to the drug, coronial costs, mental health problems triggered by drugs, health care costs triggered by drugs (which actually may not be a bad thing –saving the cost of old age care), domestic violence, needle exchanges and ‘safe areas’. There’s also an argument for the costs of welfare, and lost productivity. I’m sure there’s more that I haven’t thought of.

It can quite easily be argued that ‘yes but this example, or that example, there is a corresponding cost in this activity, or that activity’. That’s can be quite true, although it’s hard to find any other example that has ALL the effects. Alcohol would be the one similar (though not with the variety of differing problems), but which is also a drug.

Having said that – an argument that similar action exists, is not an argument for a specific thing not to be illegal. Pedophilia and adult sex both involve having sex, but it’s quite obvious why pedophilia is illegal. An argument that a similar result exists is not an argument that a specific item not exist – shooting and killing someone in the street is a lot different from a soldier shooting and killing someone in a war.

Then of course comes the argument of whether or not you have the right to endanger someone else, or even yourself. The latter is argued by many people, but I daresay the majority prefer you not committ suicide. There is also the fact that it is very rare that any suicide not have a impact on direct family, friends, and even emergency workers.

And then there is the problem where, if you don't die, but you end up damaging vital organs.

And of course there are the social and family costs often associated with drug addiction
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:10 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
In the first place, the number of places which prohibit you from using drain cleaner as a drug is not relevant.

It obviously was when you made your sarcastic "One swallow does not a summer make." comment. Why else would you have made it?

Setanta wrote:
It is not illegal to purchase or possess drain cleaner, even if it is illegal to use it as a drug in some jurisdictions. So, no, there is nothing for me to be satisfied about--it's not relevant.

You've already admitted that this about consumption, not mere possession.

Setanta wrote:
I well understand that the subject is about consumption--i don't need you to tell me that.

I guess you do need to be told that, repeatedly. Again, you were wrong but you refuse to admit it.

Setanta wrote:
I've already pointed out the compelling interests a state has in restricting or forbidding drug use.

You made some comments about public safety. That doesn't apply to drug usage at home. What about that?

Setanta wrote:
The titular question is why drugs should be illegal. I've answered that.

You've answered why drugs should be illegal if done in public. That wasn't the titular question. You didn't answer as to why they should be made illegal, period, including at home. That's what the titular question is asking but you keep avoiding the real question.

So, to summarize, you made a comment about drain cleaner not being illegal which only applies to possession, not consumption. You then admitted that you understand the relevant issue is consumption, not possession. That's when I pointed out that consumption of drain cleaner IS illegal. So, your comment about it being a non sequitur is false. It is relevant to the discussion. I consider this matter about drain cleaner settled unless you are just incapable of admitting your mistakes.

You then tried to argue that drugs present a challenge for public safety but went on to ignore my question as to why that should apply to everywhere, including drug use in private.

Setanta wrote:
Apparently, the titular question is rhetorical for you--you want to insist that there is no reason that drugs should be illegal.

I'm asking you a question and I'm also giving you my answer as well. The question is for everyone to answer, including myself. I welcome you to do so. Please give some kind of argument for why drug usage should be illegal, not just in public, but period, including at home.
vikorr

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:17 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
I'm asking you a question and I'm also giving you my answer as well. The question is for everyone to answer, including myself. I welcome you to do so. Please give some kind of argument for why drug usage should be illegal, not just in public, but period, including at home.
The effects of particular drug use and of the habit of particular drug use, even taken in the privacy of your own home, rarely stop at your own home.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:24 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Perhaps you should modify your title, which does not reflect this - or at least have made that clear in the body of your OP.

Do you think people want to possess drugs or consume them? What's the end goal? I think we all know the answer. It should be obvious that this thread is about consumption not just possession.

vikorr wrote:
He certainly made valid points directly related to consumption and outcomes, which I noticed you ignored.

I don't think I've ignored any of his points but if you think otherwise then you should quote them instead of making bald accusations so that I can correct that oversight.

vikorr wrote:
Govt and community costs directly related to drugs (rather than the fight against them) may include : rehabilitation centres and support agencies, police and ambulance time spent or wasted (in violent, mental, or other effects, rather than processing charges), health websites/info/education programs related to the drug, coronial costs, mental health problems triggered by drugs, health care costs triggered by drugs (which actually may not be a bad thing –saving the cost of old age care), domestic violence, needle exchanges and ‘safe areas’. There’s also an argument for the costs of welfare, and lost productivity. I’m sure there’s more that I haven’t thought of.

In other words, drugs cost society money. Alright, then why don't we outlaw overeating, contact sports and other dangerous lifestyle choices that cost society money as well? It's inconsistent.

vikorr wrote:
It can quite easily be argued that ‘yes but this example, or that example, there is a corresponding cost in this activity, or that activity’. That’s can be quite true, although it’s hard to find any other example that has ALL the effects. Alcohol would be the one similar (though not with the variety of differing problems), which is also a drug.

It doesn't matter if there is a corresponding cost item-by-item. People that become obese obviously won't need to go to a detox clinic. However, these people do cost a lot of money and I'm willing to wager they cost more than drugs would.

vikorr wrote:
Having said that – an argument that similar action exist, is not an argument for a specific thing not to be illegal. Pedophilia and adult sex both involve sex, but it’s quite obvious why pedophilia is illegal. An argument that a similar result exists is not an argument that a specific item not exist – shooting and killing someone in the street is a lot different from a soldier shooting and killing someone in a war.

Pedophilia isn't a illegal. I assume you meant to say "child molestation" which is illegal. Unlike consensual adult sex, children aren't capable of consenting. Therefore, there is a victim, the child. They aren't similar.

vikorr wrote:
Then of course comes the argument of whether or not you have the right to endanger someone else, or even yourself. The latter is argued by many people, but I daresay the majority prefer you not committ suicide. There is also the fact that it is very rare that any suicide not have a impact on direct family, friends, and even emergency workers.

Of course I have the right to endanger myself. That's why skydiving, obesity, alcoholism, unprotected sex and a million other things aren't illegal. There's no question about it.

vikorr wrote:
And then there is the problem where, if you don't die, but you end up damaging vital organs.

And of course there are the social and family costs often associated with drug addiction

You're going back to the argument of social costs. I've already covered this. If you are going to prevent people from being a cost to society then you need to outlaw obesity, contact sports, etc. To do otherwise is being inconsistent. You're effectively saying that I can't cost society money by doing drugs but I'm welcome to give myself lung cancer, heart disease or liver disease. That's absurd. They all cost society money.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:28 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
The effects of particular drug use and of the habit of particular drug use, even taken in the privacy of your own home, rarely stop at your own home.

Do you have any evidence to back this claim up? How exactly is getting intoxicated at home and then leaving when sober going to affect others?
gungasnake

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:51 pm
I don't have anything to do with drugs and recommend everybody on the planet do the same; every drug problem in the world would vanish within five days if the whole world were to do that...

Nonetheless that's never going to happen, hence the "War on Drugs(TM)", instituted under Richard Nixon. This is the single biggest issue I have with Republicans and there is little if anything to choose between demmy and pubby pols on the issue. The "war on drugs" leads to

• "No-knock" raids, which are a clear violation of the fourth amendment and of the common law principle of a man's home being his "castle". In fact technically a homeowner who were to shoot and kill one or more government agents in the process of conducting a "no knock" raid would be entirely within his or her rights.
  • The incarceration of large numbers of people who would otherwise never have had contact with prison systems. For many this amounts to a career training program for serious crime.
  • Gang wars, drive-by shootings and the like.
  • Corruption, the rise of drug cartels, and outright civil wars in other nations which supply drugs to the illegal drug enterprises here.

It is that final item which some would use as a pretext to eviscerate the second amendment, which is the link pin of the entire bill of rights. Consider the following from the former head of U.S. Customs and Border Protection under the Bush administration no less:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/17/weapons-ban-urged-to-rein-in-mexican-drug-war/

Quote:
The former head of U.S. Customs and Border Protection called Monday for the U.S. to reinstitute the ban on assault weapons and take other measures to rein in the war between Mexico and its drug cartels, saying the violence has the potential to bring down legitimate rule in that country.

Former CBP Commissioner Robert C. Bonner also called for the United States to more aggressively investigate U.S. gun sellers and tighten security along its side of the border, describing the situation as "critical" to the safety of people in both countries, whether they live near the border or not.

Mexico, for its part, needs to reduce official corruption and organize its forces along the lines the U.S. does, such as a specialized border patrol and a customs agency with a broader mandate than monitoring trade, Mr. Bonner said in an exchange of e-mails.

"Border security is especially important to breaking the power and influence of the Mexican-based trafficking organizations," Mr. Bonner said. "Despite vigorous efforts by both governments, huge volumes of illegal drugs still cross from Mexico...

The problem here clearly is not guns and it is clearly a problem of economics. The drugs one of these idiots would use in a day under rational circumstances would cost a dollar; that would simply present no scope for crime or criminals. Under present circumstances that dollar's worth of drugs is costing the user $300 a day and since that guy is dealing with a 10% fence, he's having to commit $3000 worth of crime to buy that dollar's worth of drugs. In other words, a dollar's worth of chemicals has been converted into $3000 worth of crime, times the number of those idiots out there, times 365 days per year, all through the magic of stupid laws. No nation on Earth could afford that forever.

A rational set of drug laws would:

• Legalize marijuana and all its derivatives and anything else demonstrably no more harmful than booze on the same basis as booze.
  • Declare that heroine, crack cocaine, and other highly addictive substances would never be legally sold on the streets, but that those addicted could shoot up at government centers for the fifty-cent cost of producing the stuff, i.e. take every dime out of that business for criminals.
  • Provide a lifetime in prison for selling LSD, PCP, and/or other Jeckyl/Hyde formulas.
  • Same for anybody selling any kind of drugs to kids.

Do all of that, and the drug problem and 70% of all urban crime will vanish within two years. That would be an optimal solution; but you could simply legalize it all and still be vastly better off than we are now. 150 Years ago, there were no drug laws in America and there were no overwhelming drug problems. How bright do you really need to be to figure that one out?
wayne

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:56 pm
Altered states don't fit well with the idea of a civilized society.
They are frightening, and unpredictable. Therefore society resists the acceptance of altered states as part of the norm.
To legalize drugs would be to accept a broad range of altered states as part of the societal norm. The unpredictable effects, normalizing altered states, would have on society makes for a slippery slope.
vikorr

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 08:56 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Do you think people want to possess drugs or consume them? What's the end goal? I think we all know the answer. It should be obvious that this thread is about consumption not just possession.
This thread, as stated in your title, and over which you are arguing, is about legality, which involves possession – as a commonality it is not possible to consume without first possessing. Which is why most states make the illegality possession. They make consumption illegal where the item being consumed is not illegal.

Quote:
I don't think I've ignored any of his points but if you think otherwise then you should quote them instead of making bald accusations so that I can correct that oversight.
That is hardly necessary, considering the body of my post, which reflects many similar points. Certainly only someone intently biased in trying to prove a point would miss them.
Quote:
In other words, drugs cost society money. Alright, then why don't we outlaw overeating, contact sports and other dangerous lifestyle choices that cost society money as well? It's inconsistent.
You are separating costs from the whole, and the degree. It appears you believe you can argue away each aspect by comparing (with rather poor comparisons by the way), while ignoring the whole, to which little compares.

But for your comparison of costs : Most contact sports have insurance to cover costs, so do not cost as much to society. Kids who do well in sports often do better at school (can’t be said for drugs), and do better socially (if a team sport). Kids who play sport are also generally healthier (apart from injuries that ‘may’ be suffered). Sporting organisations contribute a great deal to the economy.

Overeating would be incredibly problematic to police wouldn’t it. Whereas possessing an illicit drug is fairly black and white.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if there is a corresponding cost item-by-item. People that become obese obviously won't need to go to a detox clinic. However, these people do cost a lot of money and I'm willing to wager they cost more than drugs would.
As in all things, there is a matter of degree involved, so yes, it very much matters if anything else can measure up to the whole picture, including the part of damage/costs, as well as the other parts.
Quote:
Pedophilia isn't a illegal. I assume you meant to say "child molestation" which is illegal. Unlike consensual adult sex, children aren't capable of consenting. Therefore, there is a victim, the child. They aren't similar.
You didn’t read correctly. There was a key word in there, being ‘action’ – both are similar in that they involve the action of having sex...and yet it’s obvious which one should be illegal.

One part was saying you can't properly compare similar actions as the sole basis for whether a thing should be illegal, the other was saying you can't properly compare similar results as the sole basis for whether a thing should be illegal.
Quote:
Of course I have the right to endanger myself. That's why skydiving, obesity, alcoholism, unprotected sex and a million other things aren't illegal. There's no question about it.
A skip past suicide as I was talking about, and there’s obviously a plethora of people who disagree with you. It would of course come down to a matter of degree.

vikorr wrote:

Quote:
Do you have any evidence to back this claim up? How exactly is getting intoxicated at home and then leaving when sober going to affect others?
You can’t seriously be asking this? Health, family, friends, effects on driving? (I do notice that you had to correct yourself and make yourself sober when leaving the house.) You also ignored the second part of that particular line of thought, which is that drug use itself rarely stops in the home (ie. look at reality and the whole picture, not your idealised world). And
I also note that you ignored other drugs, against which you had a much more difficult line of argument..
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 09:21 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
This thread, as stated in your title, and over which you are arguing, is about legality, which involves possession – as a commonality it is not possible to consume without first possessing. Which is why most states make the illegality possession. They make consumption illegal where the item being consumed is not illegal.

So therefore you admit that this thread is about both consumption and possession, not just possession alone. We agree then.

vikorr wrote:
That is hardly necessary, considering the body of my post, which reflects many similar points. Certainly only someone intently biased in trying to prove a point would miss them.

In the time you took to type that you could have just as easily quoted the points you claim I've ignored. I guess you can't produce them because they don't exist? You could easily prove me wrong by quoting them if they exist.

vikorr wrote:
You are separating costs from the whole, and the degree. It appears you believe you can argue away each aspect by comparing (with rather poor comparisons by the way), while ignoring the whole, to which little compares.

But for your comparison of costs : Most contact sports have insurance to cover costs, so do not cost as much to society. Kids who do well in sports often do better at school (can’t be said for drugs), and do better socially (if a team sport). Kids who play sport are also generally healthier (apart from injuries that ‘may’ be suffered). Sporting organisations contribute a great deal to the economy.

Overeating would be incredibly problematic to police wouldn’t it. Whereas possessing an illicit drug is fairly black and white.

How is obesity hard to police? It's not exactly easy to hide how obese you are whereas drugs are easily hidden.

vikorr wrote:
As in all things, there is a matter of degree involved, so yes, it very much matters if anything else can measure up to the damage/costs.

So, the question is, how much do obesity and other dangerous lifestyle choices cost versus drug usage?

vikorr wrote:
You didn’t read correctly. There was a key word in there, being ‘action’ – both are similar in that they involve the action of having sex...and yet it’s obvious which one should be illegal.

The one that has a victim should be illegal. There are no victims in drug usage. That's why they aren't similar.

Quote:
A skip past suicide as I was talking about, and there’s obviously a plethora of people who disagree with you. It would of course come down to a matter of degree.

You also argued that I can't endanger myself. Are you going to respond to that? You are quick to accuse me of skipping things while doing so yourself. I'm not going to argue about suicide because what are you going to do, arrest a corpse? It's a moot point.

vikorr wrote:
You can’t seriously be asking this? Health, family, friends, effects on driving? (I do notice that you had to correct yourself and make yourself sober when leaving the house.)

So, you're saying if I'm sober when I leave the house it's alright? Then why isn't doing drugs at home as long as I'm only intoxicated there acceptable?

vikorr wrote:
You also ignored the second part of that particular line of thought, which is that drug use itself rarely stops in the home (ie. look at reality and the whole picture, not your idealised world).

Do you have any evidence to back this up? I know many people that only use drugs in the privacy of their home and nowhere else. That's just an anecdote though and doesn't prove anything. The question is, can you prove that drug usage "rarely stops" outside the home? Other than just acting incredulous at being asked to back up your claim, that is.

vikorr wrote:
I also note that you ignored other drugs, against which you had a much more difficult line of argument..

What are you talking about? I haven't named any drugs at all. What am I ignoring exactly? Please actually point it out instead of saying it's obvious.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:31 pm
@wayne,
Being drunk is an altered state... Same thing happened then as is happening now, the cure (prohibition) turned out to be vastly worse than the disease.