Why should any drugs be illegal?

wayne

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 10:39 pm
@gungasnake,
Worse than the disease or not is debatable. What we have learned from alcohol is that once you've let the cat out of the bag, you can't put it back.
That's no argument for unleashing the dogs.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:30 am
Hmmm...you are employing a lot of circular, and sidestepping tactics. That you can't see the obvious flaws and use of such tactics in your writing simply underlines your bias.

Night Ripper wrote:
So therefore you admit that this thread is about both consumption and possession, not just possession alone. We agree then.
Night Ripper wrote:
You've already admitted that this about consumption, not mere possession.
Night Ripper wrote:
The subject at hand is about more than just possession. It's about consumption...

There is little for me to admit here. The illegality is about cause and effect. Only Setanta got diverted by your tactics, despite his legitimate points on both possesion AND consumption....The latter two quotes were your reply to Setanta. Who knows what you’re talking about. It seems you keep making it up as you go.
[quote='Night Ripper']Alright, then why don't we outlaw overeating,[/quote] [quote='vikorr']Overeating would be incredibly problematic to police wouldn’t it. Whereas possessing an illicit drug is fairly black and white.[/quote]
[quote='Night Ripper']How is obesity hard to police? It's not exactly easy to hide how obese you are whereas drugs are easily hidden.[/quote]
Make up your mind whether you want to talk about overeating, which may or may not lead to obesity, or the state of being obese.
[quote='Night Ripper']So, the question is, how much do obesity and other dangerous lifestyle choices cost versus drug usage?[/quote]You seem to miss the obvious statement which I said a number of times. The question is about degrees, and the whole, not just individual parts. Obesity itself as a comparison is a fairly lengthy topic itself. But lets say that you need to eat to survive, while you don't need to do drugs to survive (medical conditions aside). You can't outlaw food, while you can drugs.
[quote='Night Ripper']You also argued that I can't endanger myself. [/quote]That would be a misrepresentation of the point of what I said .
[quote='Night Ripper']So, you're saying if I'm sober when I leave the house it's alright? Then why isn't doing drugs at home as long as I'm only intoxicated there acceptable?[/quote]Once again we get back to the ‘perfect’ theoretical world, versus reality. Yes, if that’s all people ever did, that would be fine (with a few proviso's). However, it’s rather rare that’s all they ever do. It’s the overall picture that’s the problem. Arguing on theoretical possibilities rather than reality, is hardly a basis for society making up it’s mind about the legality of something.
[quote='Night Ripper']Do you have any evidence to back this up? I know many people that only use drugs in the privacy of their home and nowhere else. That's just an anecdote though and doesn't prove anything. The question is, can you prove that drug usage "rarely stops" outside the home? Other than just acting incredulous at being asked to back up your claim, that is.[/quote]Hmmm...you obviously miss the point. It certainly occurs at home, and in some circles it will even seem the norm. But we are talking about the occurence in society as a whole. Proof? Has anyone ever found a reliable way to record this either way?

[quote='vikorr']The effects of particular drug use and of the habit of particular drug use, even taken in the privacy of your own home, rarely stop at your own home. [/quote][quote='Night Ripper']Do you have any evidence to back this claim up? How exactly is getting intoxicated at home and then leaving when sober going to affect others?[/quote]
[quote='vikorr']also note that you ignored other drugs, against which you had a much more difficult line of argument..[/quote][quote='Night Ripper']What are you talking about? I haven't named any drugs at all. What am I ignoring exactly? Please actually point it out instead of saying it's obvious [/quote]
Intoxicated is normally referred to the for effects of alcohol. Can you spot the obvious flaw in what you just said?

Ouch, it seems colour changes the quoting system - Iwas trying to make it more readable. Ah well, it's a lot of work to quote that much.
roger

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 01:34 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Hmmm...you are employing a lot of circular, and sidestepping tactics. That you can't see the obvious flaws and use of such tactics in your writing simply underlines your bias.

Mostly, I don't think you handled your quotes quite right. Not that that detracts from the points you are making. Anyhow, as a general rule, I don't color other peoples text. Just making my own a shade of blue works just as well.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:13 am
@Setanta,
You should win an award for missing the question so completely that you added additional fallacies on top of it.

"Drain cleaner, by the way, is not an illegal drug"

The fact that you use "illegal drug" to oppose the use of "drain cleaner" is almost face palming that my doctor would advise that I not do it because I might cause brain injury. Should I mention that crank is made with drain cleaner? Hence his use of drain cleaner as a parallel to his question. Being illegal or not is completely irrelevant to his question which is why I would face palm.

"If you are doing any drug in public, and may endanger others in doing those drugs"

This is a fallacy because you use the word "may". You are basically saying you are a criminal without actually have committed a crime because you "might" cause harm. Well I should mention that every day you "might" harm someone intoxicated or not. So should everything that "might" cause harm to someone at some point be banned? That is silly. So your argument that being intoxicated might cause harm is a dangerous mentality.

The fact is, it should not matter where or when you are wanting to consume anything. If it effects someone else or someone's property then by all means it should be taken up in the court system. But as long as no one is being actually violated then there is absolutely NO reason why it should be illegal just because they might.

Setanta

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:50 am
@Krumple,
You should be given an award for being incredibly obtuse just to have something to argue about. The titular question is whether or not any drug should be illegal. The author posits snorting drain cleaner. Therefore, pointing out that drain cleaner is not an illegal drug is very much to the point, whether or not you're too dense to see it.

I say nothing of the kind--you are a criminal for using illegal drugs, the reason the state has a compelling interest in making the activity illegal is the harm you may cause. Once gain, that you are unable to understand a simple proposition is not evidence that the proposition is flawed.

In discussions of law, the interest of the state in an activity, and specifically what is known as a compelling interest, is always discussed in terms of limiting or prohibiting an activity. The state has a compelling interest, for example, in limiting the speeds at which people drive because it is accepted by organizations (such as actuarial organizations) which study the effect of speed on the incidence and prevelance of automobile accidents that the greater the speed, the greater the probability an accident will occur. The state balances your personal freedom to operate a motor vehicle against probable harm to determine what speed limits it wishes to impose.

Similarly, the state has a compelling interest in limiting your use of a legal drug such as alcohol, or prohibiting your use of an illegal drug altogether, such as heroine. That you are unwilling to acknowledge this, or unable to understand it, is not evidence that the exposition of the principle is flawed. I suspect that, as is the case with the author here, you simply object to laws which make the consumption of drugs illegal, but rather than honestly argue that case, you simply look for ways to attempt to pick apart the simple proposition i have put forward to the effect that the state can be said to have a compelling interest in drug use--an interest which compels the state to outlaw the use of certain drugs. Suck it, and stop being dishonest.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:13 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
Make up your mind whether you want to talk about overeating, which may or may not lead to obesity, or the state of being obese.

I'm talking about obesity because obese people cost society money. Try to focus on the strong version of the argument instead of the weaker one based on a mistake in terminology.

Quote:
You can't outlaw food, while you can drugs.

No, but you can outlaw being obese, which is what I was talking about.

Quote:
That would be a misrepresentation of the point of what I said.

If you say so. That doesn't really add much. You should clarify what you mean like what I'm doing here now.

Quote:
Yes, if that’s all people ever did, that would be fine (with a few proviso's). However, it’s rather rare that’s all they ever do.

How would you know? What is this assertion based on? Do you have any evidence that the majority of drug users aren't doing drugs solely in private and never being intoxicated elsewhere? Why don't we keep the laws on public intoxication but get rid of drug laws that prevent people from doing drugs in private?

Quote:
Hmmm...you obviously miss the point. It certainly occurs at home, and in some circles it will even seem the norm. But we are talking about the occurence in society as a whole. Proof? Has anyone ever found a reliable way to record this either way?

Well you're the one making assertions about things being "rare". How else could you know this without some kind of statics? You can't. So, you must be talking out of your ass.

Quote:
Intoxicated is normally referred to the for effects of alcohol. Can you spot the obvious flaw in what you just said?

Intoxication is the state of being affected by one or more psychoactive drugs. It can also refer to the effects caused by the ingestion of poison or by the overconsumption of normally harmless substances.
vikorr

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:07 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
I'm talking about obesity because obese people cost society money. Try to focus on the strong version of the argument instead of the weaker one based on a mistake in terminology.
It's up to you to clarify your mistake in terminology, which is fine to make, but don't bag other people for taking your mistakes literally, or seeking to clarify them. And strong version of the argument? That’s, ummm...interesting (I do note you gave up on your sports example. So I presume you mean strong in comparison to that)
vikorr wrote:
You can't outlaw food, while you can drugs.
Night Ripper wrote:
No, but you can outlaw being obese, which is what I was talking about.
Of course, while I don’t like obesity, due to it’s many negative impacts, I’m surprised you would pursue this absurd line of obesity being deserving of criminalisation / or being comparable to the harm many illicit drugs cause. Obesity never lead to domestics, assaults, murders, never triggered schizophrenia, never lead to property damage, and rarely lead to family grief (as in social grief). It’s social effects are different, and certainly not as drastic as many drugs.

Obesity also doesn't lead to break & enters and theft... Of course it is debatable how much of those are caused by drugs being criminalised, but no one has stats to back it up either way how much decriminalisation would cut back the crime rate, nor how much the corresponding support services would cost.

Obesity hasn’t lead to an overdose death either. I'm guessing that you will argue it can lead to an early death, which is true enough, as I daresay ongoing drug use would also.

And again, in terms of illegality of a drug...the corresponding illegality for obesity would be food. You can't outlaw food, while you can outlaw drugs. You may wish to ignore this, but it is also major obstacle to your argument.

vikorr wrote:
Then of course comes the argument of whether or not you have the right to endanger someone else, or even yourself. The latter is argued by many people, but I daresay the majority prefer you not committ suicide. There is also the fact that it is very rare that any suicide not have a impact on direct family, friends, and even emergency workers.
Night Ripper wrote:
Of course I have the right to endanger myself. That's why skydiving, obesity, alcoholism, unprotected sex and a million other things aren't illegal. There's no question about it.
vikorr wrote:
A skip past suicide as I was talking about, and there’s obviously a plethora of people who disagree with you. It would of course come down to a matter of degree.
Night Ripper wrote:
You also argued that I can't endanger myself. Are you going to respond to that? You are quick to accuse me of skipping things while doing so yourself. I'm not going to argue about suicide because what are you going to do, arrest a corpse? It's a moot point.
vikorr wrote:
That would be a misrepresentation of the point of what I said.
Night Ripper wrote:
If you say so. That doesn't really add much. You should clarify what you mean like what I'm doing here now.
Perhaps you should go back and read what I said . My wording, was quite clear. You simply misread and/or misrepresented what I said. I've added the quotes together for you, for ease of reading, though if you would not let your biases sway you in the first place, it would not be necessary.
Night Ripper wrote:
Well you're the one making assertions about things being "rare". How else could you know this without some kind of statics? You can't. So, you must be talking out of your ass.
This is a bemusing statement. However, I do take it back that there are no stats showing carry on effects http://www.caradvice.com.au/93465/drugs-linked-to-18-percent-of-fatal-us-car-crashes-report/

Probably if I looked hard enough, I'd find other things too. Considering you've also made assertions about commonality, and you consider me to be talking out of my ass (you consider what I say highly dubious, and also wish to insult), perhaps you'd like to supply some evidence for your stance?
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:15 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Obesity never lead to domestics, assaults, murders, never triggered schizophrenia, never lead to property damage, and rarely lead to family grief (as in social grief). It’s social effects are different, and certainly not as drastic as many drugs.

Obesity also doesn't lead to break & enters and theft... Of course it is debatable how much of those are caused by drugs being criminalised, but no one has stats to back it up either way how much decriminalisation would cut back the crime rate, nor how much the corresponding support services would cost.

Obesity hasn’t lead to an overdose death either. I'm guessing that you will argue it can lead to an early death, which is true enough, as I daresay ongoing drug use would also.

Marijuana has never caused any of that. It seems that you aren't giving an argument for drugs in general but only certain drugs.

vikorr wrote:
Considering you've also made assertions about commonality...

Where? Quote me please.

djjd62

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:17 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I don't have anything to do with drugs

Shocked

really, because when i've read your posts, well you know, i just figured you were high most of the time
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:44 pm
We seem to lump all drugs into one group. Some like alcohol are legal while some like pot are illegal and will get you sent to jail for its possession. The drugs alcohol and cigarettes are more dangerous to your health then pot. If the state was worried about our health why dont they make them illegal? Money!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 06:12 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Marijuana has never caused any of that. It seems that you aren't giving an argument for drugs in general but only certain drugs.
Shouldn't that have always been utterly obvious? Your title is 'any drug', not just marijuana.

If you have a look at your overall stance and what you just did, I read that as you basically saying 'marijuana never did any of that, therefore all drugs should be legal'. If so, that's about as ridiculous an argument as I've ever heard, and there's no basis for further conversation. And if you're not saying that, then any discussion with you will just go around in circles because you want to compare apples with orange trees...leaving little to no basis for further conversation should you continue along that line. Feel free to correct me if that is wrong.

vikorr wrote:
Considering you've also made assertions about commonality...

Night Ripper wrote:
Where? Quote me please.

Quite right - let me rephrase that - you've made statements that imply you disagree. You've asked me to back up my statement/stance, and I'm asking you to back up yours.
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 07:07 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Your title is 'any drug', not just marijuana.

Right, so your argument should apply to any drug, not just some. It fails to apply to marijuana.

vikorr wrote:
Quite right - let me rephrase that - you've made statements that imply you disagree.

My statements imply that I'm skeptical of your claims. If you can't back them up then so be it but don't demand that I do the legwork to prove you wrong. You know, burden of proof and all...
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 07:29 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
I don't have anything to do with drugs and recommend everybody on the planet do the same

I agree. The question of drug laws is one of the rare areas in which I find myself in complete agreement with Gunga.

This ridiculous "War on Drugs" which we have imposed on ourselves is one of the single most costly and damaging "wars" that our government is engaged in. And unlike other wars it can be won and ended with the stoke of a pen. We could save ourself billions, alter the course of inner city society, topple illegal drug cartels, improve economic development in third world countries, reduce crime and overpopulation in our prisons and give therapy to those truly addicted, simply by giving people back their personal freedoms and controlling the flow of the drugs.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:05 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Your title is 'any drug', not just marijuana.

Quote:
Right, so your argument should apply to any drug, not just some. It fails to apply to marijuana.

Wow. Alright, it appears you may be under the influence of one of these drugs you are championing (whichever one that would be), for that is a nonsensical statement, and yet you appear to think it legitimate reasoning. It's like saying 'all wars are justified, because one war is justified' or 'one black guy stole from me, so all you black guys are thiefs'. Yes, I do see my line of thought that conversation with you is pointless, has proven itself rather quickly.
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:09 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Wow. Alright, it appears you may be under the influence of one of these drugs you are championing (whichever one that would be), for that is a nonsensical statement, and yet you appear to think it legitimate reasoning. It's like saying 'all wars are justified, because one war is justified' or 'one black guy stole from me, so all you black guys are thiefs'. Yes, I do see my line of thought that conversation with you is pointless, has proven itself rather quickly.

That's a straw man.
vikorr

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:18 pm
@Night Ripper,
This one deserves an eye roll.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:18 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Right, so your argument should apply to any drug, not just some.

That doesn't make sense. If you ask "why should any drugs be illegal" an argument against legalizing any drug is apropos, if you ask "why should all drugs be illegal" then, of course, the argument must apply to all drugs.

But you asked for one that applies to any drug, not all drugs.
Night Ripper

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 08:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:
Right, so your argument should apply to any drug, not just some.

That doesn't make sense. If you ask "why should any drugs be illegal" an argument against legalizing any drug is apropos, if you ask "why should all drugs be illegal" then, of course, the argument must apply to all drugs.

But you asked for one that applies to any drug, not all drugs.

Ahh, I see. I should have been clearer with my wording. Thanks.
vikorr

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:33 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
Ahh, I see. I should have been clearer with my wording. Thanks.
Well at least that explains why you were making mind bogglingly silly statements. It would have saved a lot of wasted time to, because ia blanket 'all' to anything that has such large variation in effect (from good to bad) is such a nonsensical topic that it's not worth having a conversation over.
0 Replies

rustyHATCHET18

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 01:40 pm
i take drugs and i take them seriously,
i jus got back from venice beach CA on vacation.
while seeing the strip, i was aproched by a sgine man who was
calling to passerby ppl advertising for you to get legalived today
for medical merijuana. i smoke and have for a few years.
and have had my fair shair of cop runins.
but for $60 i have no worrie at all for a year..
anywere n california i can hold 8oz. at one time.
i dono what else to say but that helps me sleep at nite..

thnx, sry my 2nd post evre.
0 Replies