Why should any drugs be illegal?

seashell

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:13 pm
There are many interesting points raised in this thread. I believe that what is determined to be legal versus illegal is dependent on time and place to a greater degree than whether it is intrinsically right or wrong. Some cases to consider-in Nazi Germany it was legal to gas and burn innocent people. If you tried to help one of those people you would in turn be executed yourself. In the past burning witches at the stake was legal. Gambling was illegal in the US for many years, now state governments run lotteries. Alcohol was prohibited in the US, now it is not. Driving a car without seat belts was accepted for years, now it is not. Although food may not become outlawed (don't laugh you may forced to take vitamins or protein drinks instead) I have little doubt that soon it will be illegal in some form to be obese, probably with penalties resulting for the obese person. In essence, what is legal versus illegal largely depends upon the moral standards of the governments and people of any particular time period to a greater degree than whether it is right or wrong behavior, or even whether it is behavior that harms others (if you look at some of the examples above). The same applies to possession and uses of drugs-legal in some places or time periods, illegal in others, and prostitution, etc. etc. Because something is legal does not mean that it is ethically justified and conversely just because something is illegal does not necessarily mean it is ethically unjustified.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 11:30 pm
@seashell,
I dislike the term "evil", I would rather opt for inadequate instead....nevertheless how come to gas innocent people its not intrinsically evil...by definition it is ! Whether its legal or not is an entirely different matter...
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:04 am

just so that YOU know , ALL of you

BEFORE we came along , to make any judgement , no drug was illegal

vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:36 am
@north,
If we didn't make judgement on things, rape, murder, theft etc would not be illegal.
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:45 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

If we didn't make judgement on things, rape, murder, theft etc would not be illegal.

what has this got to do with drugs..?
vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:25 am
@north,
north wrote:

vikorr wrote:
north wrote:
Technically nothing. It is a comment on your observation about humans making judgement.
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:33 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

north wrote:

vikorr wrote:
north wrote:
Technically nothing. It is a comment on your observation about humans making judgement.

and therefore .... vikorr
vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:07 am
@north,
I'll assume you are asking a question, otherwise your post wouldn't make sense.

Your post appears to say the existance of human judgement is responsible for making drugs illegal (there are a few oddities about that post, but I did try to pick the main line of thought). My post was a comment on the necessity of the existance of human judgement. Of course, I may have missed the point of what you were trying to say.
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:11 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

I'll assume you are asking a question, otherwise your post wouldn't make sense.

Your post appears to say the existance of human judgement is responsible for making drugs illegal (there are a few oddities about that post, but I did try to pick the main line of thought). My post was a comment on the necessity of the existance of human judgement. Of course, I may have missed the point of what you were trying to say.

the ONLY point was what you were trying to say , thats all
vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:24 am
@north,
It was an strange thing to point out. It read rather like saying 'human judgement' is responsible for humans judging a thing to be bad, and in need of banning' (ie made illegal). The use of capitals by you made it stranger still.
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:27 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

It was an strange thing to point out. It read rather like saying 'human judgement' is responsible for humans judging a thing to be bad, and in need of banning' (ie made illegal)

what was ? , give the FULL context please ( just copy , then paste )
vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:30 am
@north,
I did, 5 or 6 posts ago - your original post that started this particular thread of conversation
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:40 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

I did, 5 or 6 posts ago - your original post that started this particular thread of conversation

then quote
vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 04:48 am
@north,
I already have quoted the context in full. There's no point doing double posts. I even gave you a reference to it. It's up to you whether you want to go back and read or not.
north

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 05:03 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

I already have quoted the context in full. There's no point doing double posts. I even gave you a reference to it.

where ?

Quote:
It's up to you whether you want to go back and read or not.

I won't
vikorr

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 02:54 pm
@north,
Alright.
0 Replies