Single question survey - Would you want to work for this company?

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 12:13 pm
@chai2,
You pick your nose?! I hope you washed your hands before using the key board..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 12:17 pm
@ehBeth,
I actually have a "hidden" camera right over my desk - it is not pointed at me, I sit near the door where you need a badge to enter, thus the camera to tape people coming and going. I say "hidden" because although it is noticeable - most people know they are there and have figured these out.

But who knows - maybe it moves around and it has caught me picking my nose.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 12:27 pm
i'd prefer hidden, wether i knew they were there or not
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 12:54 pm
5)
At my last job there nine cameras in the store, four of them focused on the registers, two on the warehouse areas, one on the stairway up to the office and one each for the two areas where customers roamed.
So, two on customers, all the rest on the employees.
Joe(Hi, Mom!)Nation
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:37 pm
@Joe Nation,
I once ran a small business for a friend.

I eventually put a camera on myself, and one on the lobby.

It was easier than the constant suspicion and weird questions...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 01:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
When my hubby was running his business he too had a camera on the register and at least one elsewhere. He let the employees know he had them. It kept the employees honest at the register and also caused one to fired after several warnings. The bonehead knew the camera was there, but would just sit and put his feet up while the other employee did all the work cleaning at the end of the shift.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Absolutely not. Hidden cameras? **** that noise!

Cycloptichorn

You don't say why.
What is your objection?
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:03 pm
Anyway, getting back to Dr. Dick.

I don't see why you think your survey is unsuccesful.

Is it because it isn't going the way you anticipated?

If everyone was saying they would not work at such a place, you would feel the answers are valid, but since on the whole we are saying it wouldn't bother us, answers must be invalid?

Seems like you put the cart before the horse on this one.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 02:20 pm
I have seen this sign in retail store dressing rooms: "These premises may be monitored."

So too, many conversations with staff on the phone are often claimed that they might be recorded.

Better question would have been:
Would you be an employee for a company that states it 'might' monitor your work? You would not know at any time if it was or wasn't. Not knowing is the key.

Spooky

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:09 pm
@chai2,
In my opinion, most people that would object to having hidden cameras (in non-private areas) may have something to hide.
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 03:10 pm
@PUNKEY,
I wouldn't care - I do my work as I should. Sure I screw around a little bit here and there, but because I work late when needed and do a quality job, they can go ahead and monitor.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:17 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

In my opinion, most people that would object to having hidden cameras (in non-private areas) may have something to hide.

I don't know that I agree with most people, but I would say a LOT. Funny thing is, I think if you were to ask these "lot" of people to think about if they had something to hide, they would consider, in their minds, that they don't have a thing to hide.
I've known a number of people who have done things on the job, pilfering, inappropriate actions, leaving work for extended times, etc. etc. It's rare that any of these people actually believed they were doing anything wrong. There was almost always a "good reason" why certain things happened.

It's easy for someone to say "I'm just bringing some pens, paper, other supplies home. It's just a few things, I'm not stealing them, it's just a few pens" It would be difficult in the extreme for them to see themselves under the cold hard eye of a camera, looking, for all the world, like they are actually stealing something.
So, they object, saying it's an invasion of their privacy.

I don't think it's an invasion of my privacy to have a camera aimed at me when I am in an area where anyone standing in my doorway, or walking into the store I work in, etc. could see me anyway.

I do think the employee needs to be informed there are cameras hidden somewhere, and that the only private areas are, let's say bathrooms. That way, the employee won't be literally caught with their pants down, if they decide to close their office door, and change for the gym.
Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:23 pm
@chai2,
That stealing thing reminds me of something funny. Some one that used to report to me applied for a DEA job - he had to go through this stressful interview and lie detector test. In the interview (or it could have been the lie detector) the interviewer asked him if he ever stole from work before. He answered "No". The interviewer then pursued - did you ever take a pen, paper (normal stuff person will "borrow" from work - not big stuff) - again being the person he was - he could honestly answer "No", but he began to sweat and worry. The interviewer then pushed further - you mean you never took a copy of something personal or used the fax machine, computer, or phone for personal means? That is all stealing from the company.

Damn I guess we all "steal" - in a sense.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:24 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

That stealing thing reminds me of something funny. Some one that used to report to me applied for a DEA job - he had to go through this stressful interview and lie detector test. In the interview (or it could have been the lie detector) the interviewer asked him if he ever stole from work before. He answered "No". The interviewer then pursued - did you ever take a pen, paper (normal stuff person will "borrow" from work - not big stuff) - again being the person he was - he could honestly answer "No", but he began to sweat and worry. The interviewer then pushed further - you mean you never took a copy of something personal or used the fax machine, computer, or phone for personal means? That is all stealing from the company.

Damn I guess we all "steal" - in a sense.

The company never gets in trouble for stealing a few extra hours from me here or there, or for making me take phone calls on personal time. I could refuse these things but it'd be death for my career. So why should I give a **** about little stuff?

Cycloptichorn
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 04:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Then, why should you give a **** if they have a camera on you?
0 Replies

DrDick

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 08:48 pm
@chai2,
The survey is not valid for multiple reasons: (1) lack of responses using a rating between 1 and 5, (2) respondents that might give a rating now have narrative provided by posters that may influence their decision. That is why I say I have learned, an open forum is not an appropriate place for a survey.

This does not mean I have not learned something about hidden cameras or believe the opinions of those that did respond don't have merit, they simply have eliminated the survey from being useful from a quantitative perspective. The fact the majority of respondents appear to not be bothered by hidden cameras is useful and valid qualitatively, it is just not quantifiable in comparison to the exact same company that does not use hidden cameras.

For instance, if I had posted the question on a scale of 1-5 would you want to work for the greatest company in the world one would hope that the majority if not all of the respondents would select a 5. If I then asked would you want to work for the greatest company in the world, but they may supervise you via hidden camera you may get a majority that would still give it a 5, but a few such as cyclops may rate it 4 or even lower. In fact, I think cyclops would possibly give a rating of 1 based on the explitives. This might push the rating of the greatest company in the world with cameras possibly significantly lower than simply the greatest company in the world. However, in this forum/format we will never know, because as an open forum people will ask for the definition of greatest, what type of company, etc. which then possibly skews the answers of future potential respondents.

Even though the original purpose or intent of the post is shot, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading the replies. The real life scenario is a company that while overall appears to be a good company will install hidden cameras that the employees do not know about when there is a complaint about another employee violating a policy. I am in a position where it is my staff that is used to install the cameras. I support the use of the cameras in cases were employees are committing criminal acts, those that could be prosecuted by the police, but do not support the use of hidden cameras to be used as a supervisory tool. While certainly it may indeed catch an employee violating a company policy, I don't believe the resulting impact on morale throughout the company is worth what you gain from say catching an employee eating food at their computer.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 08:29 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The point of the interview, after he finished and found out, was more about how he would handle the stress of the situation rather than whether he "stole" a phone call.

But I agree - that is why no one gets upset if you use the internet here and there, use a pen, a copy, a fax - because you give extra hours, etc.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 09:52 am
Why not?

God's always watching anyway, right?

Oh, my answer is 4.
chai2

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:39 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

Why not?

God's always watching anyway, right?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-p_9rC6UQc0/Sg1HKrkwhtI/AAAAAAAAAUw/wwPrLuYEBHU/s400/JesusIsWatchingYouMasturbate.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:40 pm
@chai2,
hey dude, got a tissue...?
0 Replies