Single question survey - Would you want to work for this company?

DrDick

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:43 pm
On a scale of 1 to 5, would you want to work for this company given the following: Good pay, 10 hours of vacation per pay period, zero cost for health insurance, good retirement benefits, nice people, dynamic environment, use of hidden cameras to supervise employees.

(1) absolutely not
(2) probably not
(3) maybe
(4) probably yes
(5) absolutely yes

I'm hoping to get as many responses as possible to this single question. Thanks.

aze1526

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 06:47 pm
I would rate this to a five million...but of course there has to be a catch to a seemingly perfect work environment.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 07:31 pm
@DrDick,
(4) probably yes Depending on what constitutes good pay and what the actual job is.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 07:33 pm
@DrDick,
Define:

good pay
pay period
good retirement benefits
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 08:25 pm
@DrDick,
Considering the economy and I wouldn't do anything at work I shouldn't, yeah. I'd work for them.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 12:52 am
@DrDick,
4.) Probably yes. Would I like it, probably not. The reality is, we are all on camera a lot more than we like, and having worked with security cameras I can tell you that while they maybe filming all the time, they are rarely watched all the time.
Like Arella said, unless you do something really stupid, you may never be watched, just scanned. ;-)
0 Replies

mulout

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 11:57 pm
Depends on how you found out they are watching. If they told you they were watching, then I would take that as a psyche question (there may not even be any functioning cameras). The question is how do you feel about being scrutinized all the time? Not by camera, but by whatever means the company can bring to bear? You posted this question, right? So I take it that you are bothered by the idea.
0 Replies

DrDick

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:38 am
Well this has been a learning experience for me. The purpose of the question was to show a quantitative difference between the posted question and the same question without the hidden camera language (posted in another forum). My method was obviously flawed, lol. My thesis is that there would be a significant difference between wanting to work for a company that uses hidden cameras to supervise employees and one that does not use the cameras.
roger

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:09 am
@DrDick,
Have you considered that it's the thesis that's flawed, not the method?
Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:25 am
@DrDick,
yeah I'd say 5. I figure that at work anyone can see me any way. I work in a pretty open cube so even when I am fooling around like on this website anyone walking by can see me. No big deal - its lunch time.

As long as they are not in the bathroom or in an area where you should be able to have privacy.
djjd62

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 11:30 am
sure, i've got nothing to hide
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 12:17 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
sure, i've got nothing to hide

DJ? Such blantant lying isn't going to help your cause!
Wasn't I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) and I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) based on your life story?

Shocked Wink
djjd62

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 02:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
nope, but the ray stevens song the streak was written about me

"Don't look, Ethel!" But it was too
late. She'd already been mooned.

sorry ethel
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 03:31 pm
Heck, party store employees are monitored, so are bank tellers, jewelry store empoyees, Las Vegas dealers, some schoolrooms, operating rooms, nanny cams, and highly paid computer techs. So pay, setting and work environment have nothing to do with it.

The question should have been simply: would you work in a setting where your actions are monitored by camera?

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

yeah I'd say 5. I figure that at work anyone can see me any way. I work in a pretty open cube so even when I am fooling around like on this website anyone walking by can see me. No big deal - its lunch time.

As long as they are not in the bathroom or in an area where you should be able to have privacy.

Seriously, I'd give this a 5 too.

by dynamic environment, I took this to mean a work environment one would enjoy.
What's not to like? Good pay, good work, good vacation time, free benefits, etc etc.

I'm not going to say no to a job like that over being viewed.
What's the worst someone will see? Me picking my nose?
chai2

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 04:11 pm
Dr. Dick, I would like to ask you what your feelings are on this.
0 Replies

DrDick

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2011 10:33 pm
@roger,
Certainly the thesis could be flawed, but how would you know without testing? That is why I was attempting to use a method that would give me a sample size adequate enough to draw a conclusion. Given the method did not give me the sample needed I submit it is too early to claim the thesis is flawed.

@Punkey
I like the question, except there is no comparison. It is a simple yes or no question. The results may show yes, no, or I don't care as percentages, but it still would not draw the comparison between company X that is good to work for but uses cameras verses company Y that is good to work for, but does not use the cameras.

@Chai2
My feeling is that there would be a significant difference given the hidden nature of the camera. I realize in the current workforce cameras are normal and most people accept that at some point in a given day they are on camera, but the do not expect to be on hidden cameras. I submit the use of hidden cameras that employees are unaware exist hurt morale when it comes to light that the cameras are being used.
chai2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:46 am
@DrDick,
DrDick wrote:

Chai2
My feeling is that there would be a significant difference given the hidden nature of the camera. I realize in the current workforce cameras are normal and most people accept that at some point in a given day they are on camera, but the do not expect to be on hidden cameras. I submit the use of hidden cameras that employees are unaware exist hurt morale when it comes to light that the cameras are being used.

Maybe I'm not clear on something. Would the employees be aware there are hidden cameras, and just don't know where they are?

Assuming these cameras would not be in places like bathrooms, where privacy is expected, I have no ethical, moral objection to the thought I could be viewed.
As far as morale, I think the having all the benefits listed, knowing that because you are being paid well for work you enjoy, and thereby are able to support yourself and your family is much more morale boosting than knowing there are no cameras on you.

BTW Dr. Dick. You didn't anwer my question. I asked you YOUR feelings on this.
It's a survey question for you, being funded by the chaiteawantstoknow trust. Would You give up the opportunity to have work you are stimualated and challenged by, and can support your family well, over the fact you may be getting taped doing things that anyone walking by would see you doing anyway?

Just because a camera may be on you doesn't mean it's expected you are giving your labor every second you are there. Breaks are reasonable. If you take your breaks where other people are, they see you anyway. Even at your work station/desk etc. it's not like you are being videoed to make sure your eyes don't waver off your work for an instant.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 11:01 am
@DrDick,
DrDick wrote:
most people accept that at some point in a given day they are on camera, but the do not expect to be on hidden cameras.

I'd say most people expect there to be cameras in the workplace. The last few workplaces I've been at, people have figured out where the "hidden" cameras were, and there seems to always be at least one person waving at the camera in the morning.

I like to wave at the little camera in the tv monitor on one of the elevators I ride once or twice a week. You can see the lens if you're standing to the immediate right of, and under, the tv monitor.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2011 11:02 am
@DrDick,
Absolutely not. Hidden cameras? **** that noise!

Cycloptichorn