Crock Pot Recipes Please

Wy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:57 pm
If you try the Chicken-etc-Garlic, don't press or even smush the cloves. Just throw 'em in, peeled and whole. When it's done, the feastees fish 'em out with forks and mash them into the (crusty) bread... They sweeten with the long cooking, not too garlicky, and mash into the bread just right...

If I'm oven-roasting anything, I cut the top off a head of garlic and put it in a custard cup. A bunch of olive or other good oil over the top and let it sit next to the roast for an hour or so... just squeeze that onto bread!

Edited to say Hi and Welcome to WheelingWoman!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 09:07 pm
Welcome 2wheel.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:26 pm
Hey, I almost forgot about this topic. I did get the CrockPot. I tried doing a chicken a couple of times, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. The one thing that has worked fantastically is turkey chili. I've made that a couple of times and it is yummy. Take about two pounds of turkey burgers and break them up into a hot saucepan to brown. You need a little oil, but you can drain that off. Then add all your favorite chili ingredients. Cook forever and enjoy! I used onion, garlic, read beans, canned tomatoes. For spices...chili powder, cumin, cayenne. I think that's all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:33 pm
Swimpy! are we on the same recipe page in the book of life?

When I cleaned out the old fridge (in anticipation of the arrival of the new one) I found an ancient bottle of beer (from when the General came to visit). I browned a couple of pounds of sweet italian turkey sausage, and then simmered them in the bottle of beer. I used a couple of them for omelettes on the weekend, and then used the balance to make a sort of cross between spaghetti sauce and thick bean soup. Carrots, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, celery, lentils, some mixed dry bean package I found in the cupboard, the turkey sausage cut up, and about a half pound of ground turkey (browned quickly). I cooked the whole mess up, and am just finishing up a soup plate of day two. Amazing! It is quite turkey chili like - I couldn't figure out what I'd made til I read your description.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:40 pm
My dear, I believe we are on the same page on a lot of things. I'm on a new diet. <Gotta lower the old cholesterol, doncha know> Turkey's in. Your concoction sounds yummy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:43 pm
Don't you have a niece in Columbus you need to visit? :wink:
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:47 pm
desperately
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:47 pm
That's what Swimpy was smelling...