Crock Pot Recipes Please

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:40 pm
Swimpy, my dad used to make bean soup in his crock pot -- I think he just followed the original Senate Bean Soup recipe. It's delicious!

Quote:
"Bean Soup is on the menu of the Senate Restaurant every day. The origins of this culinary decree has been lost in antiquity, but there are several oft-repeated legends.

"One story has it that Senator Fred Thomas Dubois of Idaho, who served in the Senate from 1901 to 1907 and sat as chairman of the committee that supervised the Senate Restaurant, gaveled through a resolution requiring that the bean soup be on the menu every day.

"Another account attributes the bean soup mandate to Senator Knute Nelson of Minnesota, who expressed his fondness for it in 1903. In any case, Senators, and their guests are always assured of this hearty, nourishing dish. They know they can rely upon its delightful flavor and epicurean qualities.

Ingredients
2 pounds of small Michigan navy beans
1-1/2 pounds of smoked ham hocks
1 onion
butter
Salt and pepper
Take two pounds of small Michigan navy beans, wash and run through hot water until beans are white again. Put on the fire with four quarts of hot water. Then add smoked ham hocks, boil slowly approximately 3 hours in covered pot. Braise one chopped onion in a little butter, and when light brown put in bean soup. Season with salt and pepper than serve. Do not add salt until ready to serve.

Serves: 8.

copied from here
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:17 pm
I have cooked many pots of beans in regular pots. I used to find soaking beans overnight - yes, I know about the quick way - a flag of contentment in the kitchen, sort of like bread rising. I have been singularly unsuccessful with small white beans, or the navy beans. Dunno, maybe the ones I have ever bought are too dried. I am apparently small white bean jinxed. Luckily I can go to town with lots of other beans, pintos, borlottis, etc.

Still, maybe the crock pot cures white bean jinxes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:27 pm
Take 4 rightwingnut politicians and add a pinch of fundamentalist christian....oh!!! You said CROCK pot...never mind......
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:14 pm
I do the rice recipes. But like I mentioned, I use a metal mixing bowl that just kinda sits on the chicken. Mix it all up.....and let her bump. I usually start out on low....leave it there for all day. It just depends on when I start it...how long till we eat.

I cook with a crock pot about once or twice a week. I love a beef roast in it, going back when its over half done and adding the usual veggies. I even cook chili in it, starting out with cuts of meat, letting them cook till almost done, then adding in my beans and seasonings.

Try some ribs in it.....talk about tender.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:42 pm
Deb, Oh they're back, baby.

Beth, Love the avatar. Thanks for the cowder recipe. Sounds delish. I think I'd skip the half and half, too.

piff, the soupd sounds good. I've had about the same amount of luck with whaite beans as oss has, though. Maybe I'll cheat and use canned beans?

BPB, snork

Makemeshiver, I don't quite get the mixing bowl thing. Does it go on top of the chicken & under the lid? You put water in the bowl, too?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:53 pm
hehehehe

the new avatar is here on a dare from my dad. quite the rebel, that hamburger. now we just have to get him into an avatar of his own.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:55 pm
What's the avatar story? C'est toi? (Yes yes I know I've met you and everything but I can't tell! Too tiny! My monitor is also trudging toward obsoletion by getting darker... and darker... and...)

<waving at Swimpy even though I know nothing about crock pots>
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:59 pm
Yea, it fits underneath the lid.....and I do add water and usually butter.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 10:47 pm
Piffka, thanks! I love Senate Bean Soup... I know I could have looked up the recipe but to have it posted makes me anxious to run off and get ham hocks RIGHT NOW!

I've never had luck with white beans in a crock pot. They just stay hard in the middle... I cook 'em stovetop; I think they have to boil a while, and crockpots, even on High, don't get quite that hot.

And I have a bowl I think will just fit under the crockpot lid. Pork roast and dirty rice? mmmm...
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 11:40 pm
Umm.....sounds good to me Wy! I have made dirty rice in mine also.....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 09:25 am
sozobe : the avatar comes from the CBC show "this hour has 22 minutes" - "Audience favourites include Mary Walsh as irrepressibly cranky Marg Delahunty". marg appears as the "slayer of politicians" and can often be seen actually invading the offices of politicians on canada's parliament hill (canada's "capitol hill"). at election time any politiciann visited by marg can usually count on seeing his/her popularity going up by a few percentage point. she's a real hoot - haven't seen anything like it on american tv. it's a regular weekly political satire, and we certainly enjoy seeing political foibles exposed. hbg look for it under : www.cbc.ca/22minutes/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 09:29 am
Thanks, hamburger! She sounds very cool!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:28 pm
I just turned the heat on some chicken and yellow rice (seasoned with onion, garlic, sage, and cilantro).

I'm expecting it to be the bomb -- in about 4 or 5 hours.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:53 pm
PDiddie, sounds yummy. Are you using makemeshiver's method?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 01:37 pm
I put the rice in the bottom of the pot with the chicken on top. I added a can of chicken broth to about 1 2/3 cup of rice (adapting a pork chop and rice recipe from my crock pot''s instruction booklet).

And since I have it open:

Pork Chops on Rice

1/2 cup brown rice
2/3 cup converted white rice
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (14 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 boneless pork chops, 3/4"to 1" thick
1 can (10.5 oz.) beef consummé
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Spray inside of crock pot with non-stick vegetable coating. Combine white and brown rice with butter in skillet. Sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until rice is golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in onion, mushrooms, 1/2 tspn. thyme, sage, salt, and pepper.

Pour rice mixture into crock pot. Arrange chops ove rice. Combine consummé and Worcestershire sauce and pour over chops. Combine remaining thyme, paprika, and nutmeg and sprinkle over chops. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or high 4-5 hours. 4-6 servings.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 05:47 pm
So, PD...How was it?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:22 pm
Sounds delicious. The only thing, the chicken may get falling-apart. Which is not a bad thing.

My sis makes an outrageous Chicken-with-47-cloves-of-garlic... Potatoes in the bottom, then rosemary sprigs, chicken pieces, the garlic (as much as you can stand to peel - 2 or 3 heads at least), some chicken broth and cook til falling apart. Serve it with crusty bread and let everybody dunk. I'm making myself hungry...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:25 pm
I have just five words for it, Swimp:

Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm.

The chicken did fell off the bone, Wy; I didn't need anything but my fingers to separate it, so I pulled out the bones and folded the all-but-shredded chicken meat in with the rice -- in the crock pot with a spatula -- and had me a b*tchin' goulash for supper last night, lunch today and dinner a couple hours ago.

I only pressed about two cloves. With half a vidalia onion it was plenty.

Today I bought a 2 lb. Angus shoulder roast; right now it's marinating in some seasoning, a half-cup of Newman's Own salad dressing, and about a glass of Blackstone merlot.

In about an hour it's going to be placed on top of some new potatoes, corn cobettes, string beans and onion and then it's going to cook on low for about 10-12 hours.

I'll be waking up to pot roast and vegetables for breakfast. *slurp*
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:29 pm
I'm glad to hear it turned out well. I can't wait to fire mine up. Santa beter not disappoint! Since I work such long days, I don't feel much like cooking when I get home. It would be great to walk into the hose to have a garlicky roast chicken waiting for me.
0 Replies

2wheelingwoman

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:44 pm
I've been crock-potting a lot the last few months. Too hot in California to use the oven for anything. My favorite is to just throw in a couple of boneless chicken breasts and then dump in a can of cream of chicken soup and about 1/3 of a package of dry onion soup mix. Let it cook all day on low. Then when you get home, just cook up some egg noodles or rice and dump it on. Yummy and really easy. Works well with pork chops too. When I do the chops I cut up a couple of potatoes and an onion as well.

I found most of my recipies just by doing a Google search for crock-pot recipies. There are gazillions out there. Some sites even have readers rate them, and the ones I like are the ones that let you adjust the number of servings auto-magically. I don't need recipies that feed 6 when there's just me and hubby.

I can search out some of my other recipies if you're still interested.
0 Replies