Crock Pot Recipes Please

Swimpy

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:22 pm
I have asked Santa for a crockpot. I can't believe I've lived all this time without one, but I have. I know a few things I can make in it, but do you have any favorite recipes you can share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,967 • Replies: 48
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:28 pm
Interested in answers myself.

Santa gave me one three years ago, I filled it with sloppy joe and turned it on when I left for work. It was ruined! It got a sharp, sour taste as sloppy joe and spaghettie sauce will when it has been overcooked. Haven't used it since.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:31 pm
Hmm, I make my best spag sauce in a crock pot (cooked for 24 hours).

Never had a problem with acidity (I use a teaspoon of honey).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:43 pm
I've been told basil helps, but how far do I have to go just to fix a month's supply of joe?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:55 pm
LOL, hey, I say do it right. I make the best spag on earth.

Since I can make little else I make a point about getting it right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:12 pm
I'll have to poke around for my little blue book. There's a recipe for a ham and swiss chowder we used to make a lot. It was scrumptious.

Apparently there are some good crock pot dessert recipes out there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:40 pm
I am crock pot ignorant. I can see life would get easier if I could train myself to use one. I bet braising recipes would work in it. But huh, who knows. On the spaghetti sauce, was it Craven who mentioned somewhere that adding a little bit of carrot helps with acidity?

By the way, ehbeth, I got and used my hot air corn popper. Euwwwwwww. Maybe next time I am starving.... It is sitting decoratively now on top of the refrigerator.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 11:13 pm
My favorite thing to cook in a crock pot is a whole chicken. Take all the goodies out, wash, and put the whole thing in the crock pot. Don't forget to season it. Don't add any water....just by its lil ole self. When its about done, I usually go back and have this metal mixing bowl that fits in the pot good, and will sit on top of the chicken. I make wild rice and let it cook in the steam....scrumptous!!!

Believe it or not, that crockpot will brown the chicken.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 11:57 pm
Craven
So, what's you're recipe?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:58 am
Its sugar. Adding sugar to spicy or acidic dishes will take the burn away. And you don't need alot to accomplish the goal. Carrots have tons of sugar in them plus they bulk up the sauce and add fibre.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 05:41 am
makemeshiver has co-opted my favorite recipe! Put a chicken in the crockpot, turn it on low, leave it alone.

If you absolutely have to put something else in there, make it a handful of garlic cloves!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:44 am
Thanks everyone. Wy and meakemeshiver, whole roasted chicken is the primary reason I want the crockpot. My sister even does goose in it. Thanks for the validation!

Keep those ideas coming folks. And recipes, please and thank you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 10:46 am
hehehehehe

found my little blue book. i forgot that most of those recipes are from the late 70's and early 80's when i drew recipes.

found a variant of the ham/swiss chowder online - without pix - and with measurements
Quote:

HAM AND BROCCOLI CHOWDER

2 tablespoons flour
1 small can evaporated milk
2 cups diced ham
1 package frozen chopped broccoli
1/4 cup minced onion
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
2 cups water
1 cup half-and-half

Mix flour and milk in crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, except half-and-half. Cook on LOW for 7 hours.

Before serving, stir in half-and-half and heat. Makes 6 servings.

we made it with fresh veggies - sometimes broccoli, sometimes cauliflower, sometimes spinach

we usually replaced the half-and-half with about 2/3 of a cup of stock and 1/3 cup of skim milk powder

this is great with a big salad and a good crusty bread. it was always really popular with the cross-country skiing group.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 11:08 am
Ceili's right about the sugar in carrots doing the job in spaghetti sauce. The classic bolognese sauce has a starter 'sfumato' of sauteed onion, celery, and carrot. I don't think it's as delicious to just put some in the pot with everything else, but I haven't tried that. I think the sauteing brings out the sugar, but maybe just sticking a carrot in and taking it out at the end would also work. My prissy little heart quails at just adding sugar.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 01:23 pm
You can do turkey legs too. If they're too long for the pot you'll have to cut the ends off, but they're cheap and turkey's good anytime...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:16 pm
This is great timing. I just bought a crock pot -- my first -- two weeks ago.

Cooked a great 15 bean soup in it.

Am buying a fryer this evening to crock based on all your good suggestions.

Two questions (OK, three):

--How long for the chicken, and low or high?

--Could I put some uncooked rice in with a little oil or water or broth and get some slap-my-mother chicken and rice?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 02:47 pm
I usually put the chicken on low before I go to work. It's done when I come home, but if the traffic's too bad, it's falling off the bone! One thing about a crockpot -- it won't dry out. The meat will be tender and juicy.

I've done pork roast in a crock, too. I have taken them out when done and served 'em as roast, also let it cook longer and shredded it with forks for yummy sammiches...

I've never tried rice in there. Anybody else?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 03:43 pm
Montana wrote:
Craven
So, what's you're recipe?

I never did use a recipe. I guess it depends on what I have to work with. Maybe one day I'll write up something. But I'm not big on recipes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:00 pm
I so knew those things were coming bavk.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 04:06 pm
errrrrr, they never actually left. A lot of people round here just used them for rice cookers for a while, then bought rice cookers - and used them as crock pots. Slow cooking vs no cooking vs pressure cooking. Lotsa options out there. I always liked slow cooking but then got caught up in grilling. There are tons of websites out there with crockpot recipe pages. Even some of the serious foodies talk about them.
0 Replies