individuals (n = 299) = individuals (the number of the individuals = 299) ?

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 02:12 am

Context:

This figure compares the beneficial effects of physical activity on the brains of healthy aging individuals (n = 299) to the positive relationships between exercise and brain structure in cognitively impaired persons with either mild cognitive impairment or Alhzeimer's (n = 127). In both normal aging and cognitive impairment, physical activity preserves volume in brain areas that are important for memory, learning, and attention. These structures include the prefrontal cortex and temporal cortex. The top row of images shows these relationships in a 3-D rendering of the brain while the bottom row shows the prefrontal cortex findings in side view cutaway images of the brain. (Credit: Image courtesy of Radiological Society of North America)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 481 • Replies: 5
No top replies

McTag

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 03:21 am
@oristarA,

It looks like the size of the sample, i.e. 299 old people took part in the test.
MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 05:33 am
@oristarA,
What McTag said. In statistics n = sample size.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 08:49 am
@oristarA,
This is a two sample study which compares the level of physical activity in two different groups of aging individuals. The first group is a group of 299 healthy aging individuals and the second group is a group of 127 individuals with cognitive impairment or Alhzeimer's. I imagine that the relationship between physical activity and brain size was assessed within each group and between groups.
oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 08:57 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

This is a two sample study which compares the level of physical activity in two different groups of aging individuals. The first group is a group of 299 healthy aging individuals and the second group is a group of 127 individuals with cognitive impairment or Alhzeimer's. I imagine that the relationship between physical activity and brain size was assessed within each group and between groups.

Thank you JPB. Smile
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 08:58 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It looks like the size of the sample, i.e. 299 old people took part in the test.

MonaLeeza wrote:

What McTag said. In statistics n = sample size.

Thank you both.
0 Replies