Poor Max!

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:30 pm
I let Max outside yesterday, before we left the house, about 12:15. Didn't see him til about 2pm today. His tail is completely hairless, bloody and all around icky! And broke! And of course I am completely broke at the moment. Called the vets' office and the lady was incredibly rude! I was asking about a payment plan, would have had the damned bill payed off by the end of the month. Nope. Told me I had to either pay it up front or borrow money from someone to pay! Bitch........I have always payed my bill there on time! I am calling the Humane Society in the morning and see what they can do to help me out. I believe his pelvic bone is broke (had a cat a few years back that broke his and Max is acting the same way) and the only thing they will do is give him a shot and some meds to take home. Hopefully that's all it is! He's not eating so I am worried........nothing I can do til tomorrow tho! Sad

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:33 pm
@JessiHart,
I'm sorry, Jessi. No advice from me, but that vet's office sounds strange.
JessiHart

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 06:47 pm
@ossobuco,
Apparently she was "busy". That is fine, she could have said "I am busy could you call back in (whatever time)" She might as well have said "No money? **** off!" I didn't even get to explain what had happened! Or what I assume happened (clipped by a car). I called a different vet in town (we only have 2) and that lady was really nice even tho she couldn't help me. They don't have payment plans either. But she said it's possible the Humane society could help me pay the bill. Which would be awesome, and then I can just give them money when I have extra at the end of the month!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:05 pm
@JessiHart,
Given your past ontime payments, this sounds ridiculous.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 07:22 pm
@JessiHart,
Can you piece together what happened to your cat? Hit (glanced) by a car?

How old is Max?
Fido

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 10:19 pm
@JessiHart,
Sound to me like old max took a nap in an engine comparment with his tail wrapped around the fan belt.... My bet is, that if he survives, he will not try that again...
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 10:48 pm
@JessiHart,
I would be willing to kick in a few bucks to help Max. Just let me know. Oh, and find another vet. My vet treats all of my animals like they are my children and would never do such a thing. I am sorry you are going through this.
JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 12:51 am
@tsarstepan,
I am not completely sure what happened. I am assuming he got clipped by a car but (it seems he has the same injury as my old cat Harry, broken pelvic bone and his left leg is swelled up ) but given the state of his tail, I am not sure. And he isn't even a year old yet. But you couldn't tell by looking at him! LOL He's a big guy (to me anyway)!
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 12:52 am
@Fido,
My husband keeps saying the same thing! LOL
JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 12:58 am
@ossobuco,
Well, when I called the other vets office she was telling me that the reason why they (the nice ones) did away with the payment plans is because when it comes time to pay bills the vets office is the last bill alot of people will pay. Which I understand, I suppose why they did away with it. That may be the case with my regular vets office too. But busy or not she didn't have to be so damned rude about it! LOL
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 01:00 am
@Arella Mae,
Oh no! You don't have to do that! Thank you tho, very much. People keep telling me the humane society is excellent here and will for sure help me out. And I am definately going to switch to a different vet!
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 01:04 am
*sigh* I don't know what happened to him: either got hit by a car or stuck in a fan belt! But since I couldn't take him to the vet today, I cleaned his tail with warm water (wasn't sure what else to use! Dawn dish liquid maybe? Smile ), then smeared some antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it in gauze. He wasn't happy lol But he just hobbled off the towel he was laying on and went haldway across the house to lay next to his buddy Sam!
Oylok

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 04:59 am
@JessiHart,
Please let us all know how it turns out. I have a cat myself and those images are disturbing. But I'm sure they'll be able to fix him once you are able to get help for him. I hope.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:21 am
Try CareCredit (http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/).

My niece works for a vet and she says people use this and similar programs all the time. I'm not sure about the fees, etc. but you can probably get that info from their site.

Good luck to Max!
Fido

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:21 am
@JessiHart,
JessiHart wrote:

My husband keeps saying the same thing! LOL
It is a nice, often warm, usually dry place that mice like to call home too; except for that nasty habit of chewing up cats and spitting out hairballs...
boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:25 am
Here's a list of groups that can sometimes help with the cost of vet care:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:43 am
@Fido,
When I lived up north, for decades now since I learned about it, I always rap on the hood of the car or when I get inside, tap the horn. Cats sneaking under and warm up/sleeping under or near warm engine, make for tail-less cats.
Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:47 am
@boomerang,
When you are broke (depending on how broke) there's also a possibility you can't get a credit line. In the past, I used Care Credit to pay for my dentist bill. However, if they go that route, perhaps someone might co-sign to obtain a line of credit.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:12 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

When I lived up north, for decades now since I learned about it, I always rap on the hood of the car or when I get inside, tap the horn. Cats sneaking under and warm up/sleeping under or near warm engine, make for tail-less cats.
I do the same thing with my truck. I bang on the hood and the doors and the side panels and then I blow the horn.
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:12 am
Well, I took him up to the HS and they told me to go to the vet. There is a program called RICE something that takes care of the bill. If it would have happened a couple weeks ago or later this month I wouldn't have had a problem paying the bill. Or at least half of it and then paying the other half on the next payday! And the "nice" vet's office would have let me do that. Anywho, his tail needs to come off Sad He's gonna look silly to me for a while, but at least he won't be suffering. Dr. J also told me that sometimes when they amputate (sp?) the tail it could cause nuerological damage (taking it off closer to the body) and if that happens then he'll need to be put to sleep. But he said that he is going to try and take it off about 1-2 inches down from his rear. My daughter went with me, and when she heard them at the HS say that his tail would need to come off she started to cry. I felt so bad! But I told her it was ok and that he was just gonna look so silly! Then she laughed, and I don't think she's too upset now. I get to pick him up between 5 & 6 tonight!

Wondering how much all this is going to cost? I know nothing for me, but I'd like to pay the bill!