Poor Max!

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:36 am
@JessiHart,
Good that you were able to iron out the financial side of things. I was going to suggest seeing if you could have the vet (not the person at the desk) call you back. Maybe talking with the actual vet would get better results. Also, wondered if this is the person typically working there? Or if they have some one else that you talk with. Sometimes it depends on who answers the phone.
JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:49 am
@Linkat,
I have been in there several times in the past and have never seen that lady (she was there this morning) before. I was there last month when I took my mother in law to get shots for her Scooter (such a cutie) and she wasn't there. But she could have been off or she is new. She wasn't rude today but she wasn't very nice either. And she is a "lil old lady"! LOL
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:26 am
@JessiHart,
I have never heard of cutting a tail off might cause neurological damage but then again, I don't recall ever having to have a cat's tail removed. You will get used to the new look quickly, just like I did to my three legged cat and my blind cat with one eye and believe me, Max will adapt very quickly. I am glad you found some help for Max. Just tell Max to tell all his friends all this time he was really a Manx cat in disguise. Laughing
JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 12:35 pm
@Arella Mae,
I guess since the tail is connected to the spine? I dunno! LOL My friend had a cat that had no tail and I didn't care for it. But Max is my 4th baby so I don't care! I am going to have to ask alot of questions when I pick him up cuz Max is never left alone in this house! One of the kids is always grabbing him up and playing with him, or I am. It's gonna be hard to leave him alone! I see those Humane Society commercials on tv and see that cat with one eye. I told my hubby one time "I'll take him and name him Popeye!" Those commercials make me so sad!
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 12:50 pm
@JessiHart,
Oh I know, those commercials make me cry sometimes. But, when I had my cat shelter I had to learn that it is not how long a cat (animal) lives that matters; it is how well they live and thank God there are people like you, the Humane Society, and others that love animals to do all they can to help them. Even when my cat had to have her leg amputated she was still the same old Sugar Baby Bear that wanted her momma to play with her so I'm sure Max isn't going to change in that regard. She also had lost and eye so she was a one-eyed, three-legged cat. She would get mad at me, squint that one eye, and take off to running sideways. She was a hoot.
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:26 pm
Well, I picked Max up today. Nice and alert! He was so happy to see me! Meowing like crazy and rubbing all over me. He looks so silly tho without a tail! LOL But the Doc told me that they had to extract the urine from his bladder. It was completely full (I knew nothing about it!). When he got caught in the fan belt he may have damaged the nerves the connect to the bladder. He may not me able to urinate without help ever again! I will do it for a couple days if I need to, but after that I will call the doc and see what I should do. Sad
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:27 pm
@JessiHart,
Cats are very resilient. He will adapt. It might be a bit more work for you but Max can still have a happy and long life with you. I am glad the vet took care of him!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:28 pm
@JessiHart,
oof. Hang in there, Max.
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:48 pm
OMG! Just had a scare! My husband and I were going to give Max his meds and we tried to wake him up and he wouldn't move! He was breathing tho, but Hubs picked up his head and it was all floppy, like his neck was broke! Scared the **** out of me! He picked him up and Max made a pissed off noise, but woke up! LOL I guess he was just sleeping pretty soundly! Very Happy I am going to be freaking out the next few days I think! lol
Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 09:55 pm
@JessiHart,
LOL! I can't tell you how many times I've had that scare. It's like they go in comas!
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:50 am
I can not get my cat to pee! I did what the vet showed me, but no luck! Not even sure if I am doing it right. I should have had the vet put my had in the exact spot to squeeze, just so I would know. Tried calling three times already and they aren't answering. I even called to speak to the vet tech at the HS but she is out on the road doing what she does........He also hasn't had a bowel movement or eaten anything. And I'm not completely sure when this all happened with his tail (my guess would be Monday morning) but as far as I know he has not eaten since Sunday. And it's now Wednesday. He MIGHT have eaten a bit of tuna Monday but I am not sure since Sam was in the house too! Max LOVEs x100 wet cat food but he's even turning his nose up at that. Out of tuna, should go get some just to see if he'll eat it. I know if I do get ahold of someone at the vet's office and they are rude I am getting rude right back! Smile
boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:03 am
@JessiHart,
I sent a PM to kuvasz, our resident vet. I know he's always very busy but maybe he'll have a chance to stop in.
JessiHart

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:13 am
@boomerang,
Ok, thank you! I did talk to the vet on the phone tho. Told me to bring him in so he could show me what to do. I was doing it right, just not squeezing hard enough! When I do it he growls at me! But Doc also said he could just not be going because it hurts (I am praying that is all it is!). Told me to just leave him alone. I will til my hubby gets home. I"ll have to have him hold Max down while I squeeze. As for the food, I just have to leave it where he can get to it and he will eat when he's hungry!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:26 am
@JessiHart,
Hi Jessi. Sorry to hear of Max's problems, but glad to read that he has been cared for.

I wish that I could be of help to you, but it seems now that all you can do is wait until Max gets better.

Saddly, I am on a death watch for my male Kuvasz, Abba, whose hind legs have begun to fail, and at 2:00 am this morning had to be raised to standing via a pet sling with both my wife and I after he spent several minutes crawling through the snow to get to my back door after failing to rise on his back legs. It was heartbreaking to see my buddy endure such, and while he has risen today with limited difficulty, he is living on borrowed time now.

Hug your pet while you can. Soon it will be too late.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:31 am
@kuvasz,
A hug for Abba from here, kuvasz.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:34 am
@kuvasz,
And a hug to Abba from me too.

And a hug for you and one for Ms. Kuvasz.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:34 am
@kuvasz,
Hugs and prayers for (all) with pet illnesses and aging pets.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 11:54 am
@kuvasz,
Abba knows how deeply you love him. What greater gift could you give? Hugs and prayers from me and all my animals.
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 12:00 pm
@kuvasz,
Aw! I am so sorry!
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 10:46 pm
Draining a cat's bladder is very hard! My hand hurts and Max is very pissed off at me but he's gotta feel a bit better! Smile