Should human rights be taken away from someone if they are diagnosed with schizophrenia?

deadmane

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:14 pm
Schizophrenia as i understand it, is likened to multiple personality disorder, excuse me if i am incorrect, but if we quantify a person by their beliefs, personality and feelings then more than one person is occupying one body and then that would make psychological treatment a violation of one or more occupants human rights.
JPB

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:23 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
So, kind of a mixed bag of improvement in some areas and fuzziness/loopiness in others, eh? It's good to post your thoughts and feelings so you (or your doctor) can read back later. Less panic is good. More loopiness, not so much.

Did they take you off the investigational drug completely or did they suggest you wean yourself off of it more slowly? From what you've said it sounds like they told you to stop the other one all at once, right? You seem to be pretty in tune with how you feel. Be sure to call the VA doc right away if you start struggling with the effects of the risperidone. No one wants this to be a net negative for you. When is your next appt?
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:41 pm
@deadmane,
I wonder how a psychologist would react if I told him that I don't percieve myself as one constant unity.
It simply isn't reasonable, logical or very healthy of a human being to think of itself as one constant and unchanging self.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:51 pm
@deadmane,
Hmm well im not sure about multi personality disorter as being the sole smptom. To me its Having more than one mind the what chinese called it. If you look back thru all my topics you can get a better understanding of the disease from eyes.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:53 pm
@JPB,
Yes completly stopped the old. And yes so far but then again remember is one day still. Most medications takes a week or more to take full effect. Ill keep updating if anything different comes up. Smile
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:55 pm
@Cyracuz,
Well you can be a healthy sckitso. I was one for most of my life. It just progressed too were I couldnt do any simple task. For these symptoms is what I am seeking treatment for. Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:57 pm
@deadmane,
deadmane wrote:
if we quantify a person by their beliefs,
personality and feelings then more than one person is occupying one body
and then that would make psychological treatment a violation of one or more occupants human rights.
Assuming that is true,
then do not quantify a person by his beliefs.

David
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 04:49 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
I can relate to how thoughts can have a paralyzing effect on you. And it's more than simple fear. It is anxiety so deep that you cannot take it all in, so you just feel numb and listless. Sometimes small, seemingly irrelevant changes can have a surprising effect. It is hard to keep an open mind when you feel compelled to shut down and dig deep, but sometimes that is what it takes.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 11:18 pm
@Cyracuz,
Hmm more like overload. In my field as a steel worker I climbed steel structors as high as 180ft.. In that field it was an asset to over anylize evrey situation. But in cases such as looking in traffic it becomes too much. I am not sure if that makes sense. Is like I come up with evrey possible scenario in my mind in a split second. Mutiply that by how much traffic is going by and its over wellming it puts me in a state of panick. But with this new medication slowing down my thought proccess it helps because it distracts me from it. Is like with time my mind practiced and got better at anylizing things and so it was doing it at a very high spped. When it was done it would search for something else to discuss. Hope that kind of explains it a little. Thank you for asking
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 12:15 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Ok today I tried waking to macdonalds with similar results still. I keeped looking up and giving small glimpsrs at traffic To see if any proggress was achived. Still get panics but not as severe as before. Ill report when theres something new if there are any questions please do ask. Thank you. Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 11:24 pm
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Hi all. Well the outspark topic I posted well thats were I hang out. I find it easier to comunicate in this format. I dont express myself well face to face, So in the format of chat boxes I have comunicated more in that place then anywere else in my life. The people I comunicate with in there are telling me "your thoughts are incomplete" I explained to them its still the same mind is just a little blurry. One of the persons that stated that her grandfather had my disease. She grew up 10 years of her life with him at home. She said he dint express much and smoked alot. He was under similar medications I assume. So I thought since someone that I consider a authority on the subject state something like :your thoughts are incomplete. I think thats enough merit to post it in here. The only 'cure to this disease thats well documented I believe it was when Jonh Nash said "I willed it" and that one i am having a realy hard time with. I guess it would be like a Health brain saaying I will to have more than one mind going at one time. Doesnt seem possible. Like wise it does to seem possible that you can say theres a pill that can change that. Slow down. yes. Blury it. yes. But change the thought proccess complete. That dont seem logical. But then again I process thoughs differently than 99% of the population. Ok lol think I was venting there lol. Sorry Ill try to keep it a clean report. Smile
JPB

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 05:58 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
That sounds pretty complete and well thought out to me.
0 Replies

triathbee

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 08:11 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Well what John Nash said was this, that his disease became apparent when his wife became pregnant (probably symptoms brought on by stress that caused him to revert to dilusions). I quote : "Thus further time passed. Then gradually I began to intellectually reject some of the delusionally influenced lines of thinking which had been characteristic of my orientation. This began, most recognizably, with the rejection of politically-oriented thinking as essentially a hopeless waste of intellectual effort.
So at the present time I seem to be thinking rationally again in the style that is characteristic of scientists. However this is not entirely a matter of joy as if someone returned from physical disability to good physical health. One aspect of this is that rationality of thought imposes a limit on a person's concept of his relation to the cosmos. "

And it was more like you started 3 different trains of thought and never finished any one of them... almost like a record skipping around to different songs but never finishing one in its entirety, so I missed out on what you were trying to say because you never quite finished...
triathbee

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 08:37 am
@triathbee,
P.S. On the other hand lemme remind myself that disorganized speech is a symptom of the disease itself... so its likely this isn't a side effect of the meds. =)
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:22 am
@triathbee,
Things you say like this. This why you are my mentor. I cannot thank you enough for being you. Day 3 I walked to the pharmacy to get medications for Mom. Symptoms are the same but sometimes I fell like I am beguining to speed up my though proccess. Maybe its the other medication leaving my body and interacting less with the new one. Too early to tell. Well Ill report more as I have something new. Again Thank you again. It is refreshing to have some posts from someone that comes from the "family of the patient" point of view. Thru youre eyes is how I see myself and try to improve anything that might be delusional in my frame of mind thank you for being there for this stranger you never meet. May a God of youre understanding Bless you as you have blessed me with youre kindness.
triathbee

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:28 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Also Pete, in case you or any of your relatives happen to have diabetes I'd like to write a note on the medication you are taking because the drug risperidone and similar drugs CAN (but may not) cause an increase in blood sugar. They say to not change your diet, but in this case I'd say make sure your following a diet similar (minus the cookies, potato, white rice, and chocolate) to the person you live with. =)

The NIH site says this: (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000944/)
If you have schizophrenia, you are more likely to develop DIABETES than people who do not have schizophrenia, and taking risperidone or similar medications may increase this risk. Tell your doctor immediately if you have any of the following symptoms while you are taking risperidone: extreme thirst, frequent urination, extreme hunger, blurred vision, or weakness. (These are diabetic symptoms!!!) It is very important to call your doctor as soon as you have any of these symptoms, because high blood sugar that is not treated can cause a serious condition called ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis may become life-threatening if it is not treated at an early stage.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 08:36 am
@triathbee,
Yes unfurtunaly all antiphycotic drugs have some horrible side effects. But hey its better to get zombied by pills than to have a piece of your brain cut off. (labotomy) or have undertake diebetic comas till you finaly say "enough ill do what ever you want ill say "I'm cured" if you want me too. "Just stop the turture"" Hehe was that over dramatic? Lol its way better. In my opinion were becoming civilized. Smile
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:35 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Ok did my my walk so I could report my condition. My mind is speeding up again. I am getting anxios when I get near traffic again. But I still have a slightly druken walk to me. I am bumping into stuff here and there. I am gona try again in 30 minutes and see if it gets better.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:45 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Sorry it took me so long to update. Im trying to understand any changes in mood or state of mind so I talked it over with someone in fiesta that I am in contact with evreyday. My mood still the same. I still snap but I dont overthink stuff as much. So I still have the same thought proccess but shortned. Less of a 'Grandiosty' Felling. I do try to see the rational side of things now that I know my disease. Anxiety outdoors is there but shortneed so not as overwhelming. My though proccess as you can see by my topics are still different than 99% of the population. If not more. I cannot even by posting my thoughts in something thats completly opposite of societies point of view. Get a logical argument of why it would be 'delusional' so I must rationalize that my points are not. That does outcast me from society though. The current beliefs that bacteria and germs are 'Bad'. As well all the other posts I posted to include a EMP event thats bound to happen. As being a warnig to either look at our current tecknology or to prepare for a world changing event as not being delusional but as being reality. I talked about sizemic activity. Talked about spending 10% of the worlds millitary budget in space colonization. Talked about how by my defenition God are the voices in my head and with no viable argument against disproving it. So these topics are in the minority of how a regular mind thinks because, well I can just look around and see that. But with no intelectual argument agaist my points of view I can only assume my points of views carry merrit. So I kind of feel that turning down my mind sometimes is like tunning off what could be sometimes a moment of brilliance. But reality is that well let me post then continue, in case my comp shuts off.
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:09 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Well like when I worked I lived in hotels, My food there was a per diem so it was paid for and I ate out. Transportation was taken care of. I was able to run simple assembly projects but was terrible with paperwork I just delegated most of it and did alot signing. I cant read for verry long. So I was basicly taken care off. Thank you. But now what should be minor chores are impossible to do. Well it never gets done. As I look on my floor and around me I see pilles stuff that been there for 4 years. No sheets on the bed and I wear the same clothes week in and out. Can not look at a mirror for more than 5 seconds at a time without my mind wondering off somewhere. Looking at it logicaly, I have become severely handicaped by this disesease. So I dont know whats instore for me. I am uneployable right now. And I dont see any changes in any future. I just dont know. Well if anyone got anything please post. Thank you