Should human rights be taken away from someone if they are diagnosed with schizophrenia?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:51 am
@Miller,
Yes, it does.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
Only if they are a danger to themselves or society.
I dissent from that as to "themselves"; everyone has a right
to be a danger to himself
THAT is none of government's business,
nor jurisdiction.
David

Distinguish between a legal right versus a moral/ethical right.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Tell that to the government; that's their rule, not mine.
NO.
The question was:

"Should human rights be taken away from someone
if they are diagnosed with schizophrenia?"

Your answer was:
"Only if they are a danger to themselves or society."
Your attempt to evade this
is false and [unsuccessfully] deceptive.

By your deviation
from the truth, u prove yourself a liberal.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
No, it's not; any doctor who diagnoses a patient with schizophrenia who shows tendencies to be a danger to themselves or others must report that to the police and social services.

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Does an unrestrained HIV+ patient have the "right" to bite a nurse, while hospitalized?

Does an unrestrained convict have the "right" to bite an arresting officer while resisting arrest?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:58 am
@Miller,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
Only if they are a danger to themselves or society.
I dissent from that as to "themselves"; everyone has a right
to be a danger to himself
THAT is none of government's business,
nor jurisdiction.
David
Miller wrote:
Distinguish between a legal right versus a moral/ethical right.
The distinctions r between alternate
frames of reference, and tangible, objective consequences.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No, it's not; any doctor who diagnoses a patient with schizophrenia who shows tendencies to be a danger to themselves or others must report that to the police .

What about the medical rules concerned with "patient confidentiality"?

If an individual has suicidal thoughts ( that involves an act not harming any other person ), how does that become a police matter?

Nonsense!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
Non-sequitur
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:05 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Does an unrestrained HIV+ patient have the "right" to bite a nurse, while hospitalized?
Probably NOT, but it depends on
what the nurse is doing at the time of the bite.

Miller wrote:
Does an unrestrained convict have the "right" to bite an arresting officer while resisting arrest?
Probably NOT, but again:
it depends on the circumstances.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:10 am
@Miller,
A report from the web:

Quote:
When the patient first gets there, the nurses and techs do a regular intake and a psychiatrist or M.D. is supposed to show up ASAP to do a routine psych evaluation. Typically they'll ask the patient standard questions, as well as contacting family or others about the patient and checking medical records. However, there were times when no docs would show up for a while. In any case, almost EVERY time, the new patient will be put on a 48 hour hold. They absolutely can't leave for 48 hours no matter what. A 48 hour hold HAS to be done by a doctor, but they're allowed to phone it in, if necessary. In that time, a more thorough evaluation is supposed to be done, with several psychiatrists and other docs, and they'll decide whether to keep the patient longer or not. I do remember some rare occasions where a person didn't get a 48 hour hold. Usually this only happened if the person was just mildly depressed and it was pretty obvious (even to the techs) that they weren't a danger to themselves or anyone else. But like I said, it was RARE.

All of those things you describe (lack of logical thinking, driving without a license, etc.) could possibly be used as reasons or evidence that a person needs to stay in a locked ward, but it's ultimately the psychiatrists and doc's judgement.

As far as I could tell, the only time they needed to prove to a court that a patient was a danger was if they wanted to put the patient in a long-term facility.

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:13 am
@cicerone imposter,
Patients may be restrained in their bed, but not be in a locked ward. Depends on the individual patient and the basis for their hospitalization.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
A report from the web:
An anonymous "report from the web" shoud never count for much.
0 Replies

peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:17 am
@Miller,
Over 1% of the population is affected by this disease and less than 1% of them are classified as a danger. Soo where does the other 99% of them stand?
Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:20 am
@peter jeffrey cobb,
Stand? Relative to what?
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:32 am
@Miller,
Well seems like the topic took a left turn into weather or a person that is a danger to himself or others should have their rights taken away. Well I suppose that would be the right thing to do to protect society. But that goes toward anyone realy. I mean as catagory such for example people with aids, cancer, paraplygics, etc, etc,etc. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:36 am
@Miller,
Miller, I've been researching this after my initial posts, and now wonder what the correct answer would be. As noted, only about 1% are a danger to themselves or others, and the over-reaction of doctors or police to take away their human rights in not right - from my understanding of this issue. One person said it pretty well, when he said that drunk drivers are more dangerous to society than the 1% of schizophrenics in our society. I agree totally with the reasoning.

Until they commit a crime, they should retain their freedoms.

It's a matter of throwing the baby out with the bath water; and we all know that isn't acceptable.

vikorr

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:31 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
What about the medical rules concerned with "patient confidentiality"?

If an individual has suicidal thoughts ( that involves an act not harming any other person ), how does that become a police matter?

Generally it would not become a police matter...unless the patient phoned his psychologist and said something like 'Doc, I've gone and bought myself a rope and a stool, and I have the rope tied to a beam above me. I'm feeling really suicidal right now and I think I'm going to do it this time...."

Most rules can be overridden in an emergency.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 07:52 pm
Should human rights be taken away from someone if they are diagnosed with schizophrenia?

only if they're a character in an abrahamic religion
peter jeffrey cobb

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 08:06 pm
@djjd62,
ROLF Smile
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 08:04 am
@aidan,
Yeah you don't understand the comment.

You don't always have or deserve human rights. Some rights get taken from you if you are convicted of certain crimes. How you couldn't determine that I am not sure. A person not deserving of human rights would be considered a person who has lost those rights because they have deprived someone else of their rights and are being punished for it.