Ongoing Bank Hostage Story - movies vs. real life

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 02:43 pm
For two hours, two men have been holed up in a bank, their robbery plans gone awry. About 60 law officers are said to be in place about the building. In The Negotiator and any other hostage movie I have seen, the cops and their cars are a visible presence, a wall of guns and uniforms - with a negotiator to the fore. In this situation, the law is practically invisible to the news helicopter. All are strategically hidden.

The one injured person, an assaulted bank officer, has been released. -
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 864 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 04:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've no idea of what normal police procedure is in this case, but it would make sense not to offer armed crooks easy targets.

On the other hand, a visibly large police presence could convince them their chances of escape are nonexistent and induce them to surrender more readily.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 04:31 pm
Over, in a suburb of Houston.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 05:04 pm
It lasted five hours. Both men walked out and surrendered, one at four and one at five hours.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 05:37 pm
Story time. A half dozen years ago the bank across from my store had a similar incident which turned out okay. I wasn't there but Andy, who works for me and is someone some of you know, was.
He was impressed by how quickly the police cut off vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
And then three guys came in wanting to gain access to the roof of our 2 story building overlooking the 1 story bank. Andy led them upstairs, out a window onto the roof of the furniture store next door, and then over the 3 foot parapet.
They thanked him but told him to leave. He dawdled long enough to watch them unpack their weaponry; an amazing array of stuff.

And this is in a sleepy little town.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 05:47 pm
I witnessed the police come to arrest a man at the apartments. I don't know what he did to piss them off, but they arrived with some pretty good weaponry. One stood off a ways with the longest rifle I recall seeing in my lifetime. Maybe the circumstances magnified it for me; who knows? They tried a number of times to persuade the manager to unlock the man's door for them. She steadfastly demanded a warrant, which they claimed to have but never managed to produce. After fifteen minutes, the man walked out. I never saw or heard from or about him again.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:26 pm
I am convinced that irrespective of how mankind and society progresses/evolves, there will always be a criminal class.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Agreed. I believe that if we lived in utopia there would still be a criminal element.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Agreed. I believe that if we lived in utopia there would still be a criminal element.

I wonder why?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:35 pm
Why did that woman kidnap a boy and burn him up with a blow torch? There's no perfection in the genes -
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, but that insane criminality. Who can figure that?

Robbing a bank, picking a pocket, running a con...that's not insane; that's not a product of genetics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:43 pm
All I know is, some can learn and break off their criminal habits and some cannot. I am not smart enough to know why if they are not genetically different.
0 Replies