Raise Taxes on the Poor

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 10:43 pm

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_12/027265.php
Let's set the record straight here. When conservatives talk about nearly 47% of the country paying no income taxes, the argument tends to overlook relevant details -- such as the fact that these same middle- and lower-class families still pay sales taxes, state taxes, local taxes, Social Security taxes, Medicare/Medicaid taxes, and in many instances, property taxes.

In other words, they already have some "skin in the game." It's not as if these folks are getting away with something -- the existing tax structure leaves them out of the income tax system because they don't make enough money to qualify.

But even if we put all of this aside, let's appreciate the underlying point of the conservatives' concern -- for all the talk on the right about cutting taxes at every available opportunity, there's also a drive to raise taxes on those who can least afford it. The GOP has a natural revulsion to any tax system, but there's an eerie comfort with a regressive agenda that showers additional wealth on the rich while asking for more from lower-income workers.

In fact, the drive on the right to increase the burdens on these middle- and lower-class families is getting kind of creepy. Some on the far-right have begun calling these Americans "parasites." Earlier this year, Fox News' Steve Doocy went so far as to ask whether those who don't make enough to qualify for income taxes should even be allowed to vote.

To be sure, most congressional Republicans won't go quite this far, at least in their rhetoric, but the GOP's drive to raise taxes on these lower-income workers is pretty transparent, as Dave Camp's comments to George Will help demonstrate. If Republicans seriously pursue this approach in the next Congress, it should set up a pretty fascinating debate.

Fido

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 04:15 am
@edgarblythe,
Good Post, Ed... It shows how patriotic the foxes are. They have neatly turned the phrase; No taxation without representation, to: No representation without taxation... Some taxes, like sales taxes weigh most heavily on the poor, but from the point of view of capital it is a benefit to having many poor competing in a wild fashion for every available job... But it is also the destruction of the very institutions that have protected and served capital; from education to public works and utilities... Let the thing crumble; says capital, so long as we make profit, and lots of it...

This country was designed with those with those having tangible wealth paying for its protection and defense... Property that had to pay taxes had to be made profitable, or be put on the auction block, and this required labor, so that taxes on property forced the price of property down, or back into the commonwealth, and forced wages up....

Taxes on income has forced the price of property far above its natural value... It allowed so much of it to be held for speculation because it paid so little of taxes that it could be held useless generation after generation... Taxes on wages forced the price of labor down, because once a man was working not only for his own support, but for profit, and for taxes he had to work longer and harder... He was the little boy of the nursury rhime keeping one bag of wool for the three he and the sheep produced... In other words, that man who in the past could be a peasant farmer working for his own support was forced into a greater productivity that has now made the majority of labor servile, and not productive of any true value...

It is not a matter of paying more taxes for the 50% who cannot... Among all the lower reaches of society taxes have run us into destitution... Property prices have been inflated for many years so that the price of ownership required mortages doubling or tripleing the price of the property... Interest paid on such property was not taxed, so that high interest rates and profits on high interest were encouraged by the government, and paid for by people without property or hope of ever having property....

Faced with high prices for property and high interest, what could the people do when tax policy permited and encouraged it- even though the effect has been to rob the people of their rights, their capital, the value of their labor???

Income taxes which originally were designed to tax the rich of their wealth as much property had become, in the beginning only affected 11 to 13% of the population... The rich having greater access to government and greater influence over government have used their power to push taxes on more and more of the population as a means of wealth distribution to themselves because they were at the same time relieved of taxation... Income taxes were and effort toward justice, because the people clearly realized that wealth in the form of money was running their lives and their government and was evading its share of the support of the government which gave them their privialges... It has only made their suffering and defeat complete...,

The only way we are ever going to have government work for the population and give the people justice is to get the rich to pay their fair share... It is the rich who need to hear that unless they pay for their privilage,- the cost of their defense, the defense of their wealth and prestige and power; that they will be reduced to the poverty they have forced upon this population...I do not expect this is possible short of revolution, and I do not believe we are far from revolution... The tea partiers are misguided, but absolutely correct that the average person is over taxed...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 09:41 am
When I saw the title, I was expecting a Jonathan Swift-style satire. Instead, what I saw here was a reasoned (of course, this is an edgarblythe post) outline of our current situation.

I honestly think that the American right fears the masses which they interpret as anyone in the 3 lowest earning quintiles, the victims of fiscal policy. Part of the raison d'etre for this nation's style of conservatism is the maintenance of the caste system.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 11:35 am
Not only do we pay taxes but those of us who had the foresight to save for our retirement are being screwed by banks who pay us .o75 percent on our saveings, another tax of a kind.
Fido

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 05:32 pm
@rabel22,
Wait till they means test social security... First they run the **** out of you for organizing to get fair wages and a pension, and then when it is your turn to collect; skwew You... What does it matter if a millionaire does not get social security??? But for people who have worked hard for something better, having worse than good is a better pill...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 06:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was in Alabama in November, one of those states that screams the loudest about state income tax. I stopped in for a breakfast biscuit while on the road and paid 10% sales tax! When I got home, I looked up Alabama's sales tax and found it can go as high as 12% in some cities and food is not exempt like in most states. Talk about sticking it to the poor.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 06:31 pm
@engineer,
Kansas shares that philosophy...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 07:57 pm
@Rockhead,
When I lived in KC, MO, there was a state income tax, I am pretty sure. Getting a car inspected was a ripoff. Go to one shop and get told to fix the suspension for $150; refuse and go somewhere else and it's fix the exhaust system for $150. Go to a third place and it's still a $150 repair bill first. At least, that happened to me and my brother.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I worked for a Russian "guy" in KC, doing transmission R&R.

stickers cost $100 back then.

install at your own place...

(if I remember correctly, they don't tax food in MO.)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:02 pm
@Rockhead,
The repairs I mentioned were to be done in addition to the inspection, I believe. My brother did all the talking.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
you hadda be ok'ed to get one that way.

we'd never even see the car...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:05 pm
@Rockhead,
I have put on my own stickers in Texas, in the past. I knew a guy got all his stickers from other cars.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
that requires a sharp blade and a steady hand...

mebbe the only good thing about Kansas.

all our air blows into Oklahoma, so we don't worry about pollution and stuff...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 08:10 pm
@Rockhead,
In Texas, we replace our license sticker on our own. They are put on the windshield by the inspection sticker. The ones we get nowadays just peel right off by fingers.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2011 12:02 am
I paid more than $1,500 on my second job for which I earned less than $9,000. Tax the poor. Sure. They're too dumb to know the difference.
0 Replies