what is the meaning of the marked sentence

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 10:18 pm
I carry guide books with me when I hike, to identify flora and fauna that catch my eye. Once identified, their names escape from me in an instant, like the names of strangers at a crowded party. Over the last year, I have learned the dogtoothed violet, the serviceberry bush, and the false morel mushroom — only a tiny percentage of all the specimens that I have looked up. Although I refer to a conifer guide when I'm cross-country skiing, I am still not trustworthy on the difference between a spruce and a fir. (Now I remember — a fir has short, flat needles, and a spruce has short, pointy needles that aren't as flat. I think.) But let the smallest piece of commercial-packaging trash appear along the trail, and I can give you the species, genus, and phylum every time. That fan of reflected light, for example, flickering stroboscopically in the rippling current of the creek, comes from a flattened part of a beer can on the creek bottom, a beer can that even at this distance I can identify as belonging to the genus Budweiser and the species Bud Dry.

That's the hard part: living with the realization that we have junk-filled brains. <Much of the litter we bring with us into the wilderness is of the mental variety; past a certain point, our minds really cannot grasp places that are completely trash-free.> The Fanta Grape soda can drawing bees in the middle of a supposedly pristine wilderness campsite provokes our outrage and disgust, of course. But underneath those feelings, and less comfortable to admit, is a small amount of recognition and even relief. The Fanta can is us, after all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,139 • Replies: 1
No top replies

RealEyes

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2010 11:03 pm
Quote:
<Much of the litter we bring with us into the wilderness is of the mental variety; past a certain point, our minds really cannot grasp places that are completely trash-free.>

The author is trying to express that as we grow so accustomed to living in an urban setting with clutter and useless background stimulation (music, bill boards, lights and anything else that dazzles us in the city) that we become desensitized to the beauty of nature. Someone might find a forest boring and uneventful because they are suited to the "mental litter" that they live with.

Hope that helps.
0 Replies