my skin had softened in the contemplative desert air?

JTT

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 12:54 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
It reads competely nonsensically...

What you wrote was mostly nonsensical. Those other examples showed you that you were badly mistaken so why not just man up and admit it instead of going off on a delusional rampage.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 08:16 pm
@JTT,
You are one of the ugliest-natured people I've seen on here. You speak to most people with the same snide, smug, derogatory tone and it says a lot about you. You are a piece of ****, no matter who you're talking to or what you're talking about.

Merry Christmas, asshole.
JTT

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2010 08:18 pm
@Mame,
Is that your final word on contemplative, Mame?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:14 pm
@ossobuco,
A desert is merely a dry place. The tundra is also a desert as it is dry. The writer, he or she, believes it was the dry desert air plus the sand that when he/she got home realized or noticed the blisters. Either the author a good writer or accustomed to cliches, if I am accurately assuming contemplation with desert as a cliche.
roger

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:18 pm
@talk72000,
Needn't be dry, only barren and deserted.
talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:20 pm
@roger,
Quote:
barren

The dryness bring about the 'barren' as there is no moisture for plants to grow in.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:39 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

A desert is merely a dry place. The tundra is also a desert as it is dry. The writer, he or she, believes it was the dry desert air plus the sand that when he/she got home realized or noticed the blisters. Either the author a good writer or accustomed to cliches, if I am accurately assuming contemplation with desert as a cliche.
All deserts are dry, whther cold or hot... It would be an oximoron to call a desert dry when all desert s are deserts because they are dry... And no where is desert air likely to soften ones skin, but if one wanted to say that a particular desert was conducive to contemplation, that could be done, and easily... So it must be presumed contemplative is either an adjective for air, or for desert air, or desert.... Isn't it the first principal of syntactical significance that the significance of any group of symbols is a function of the significance of its members??? The whole of the sentence and the sentence broke up into smaller meaningful bits is confusing... Air is not contemplative... When is contemplation a quality of air and when has it ever been??? Contemplation is not a natural attibute of deserts... We think of deserts as forboding life denying wastelands... Peyote Indians, and Jack rabbits can some times live on the margins of our deserts, but only with highly developed skills... The less of life there is in a place the more people must scramble to make their lives in those places, so deserts are not contemplative, or condusive to contemplation but dangerous, and deadly serious... No one should take their words for granted, or presume that with them they have said what they intend to say... With pure poetry, licence is required, but the more that literary language approximates human thought and action the more it must function, because language does function as a vehicle and medium of thought... What a person writes even by way of telling a story should not leave the reader confused, but such is the inevitable result of confused thinking before hand...
talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:44 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
soften ones skin

You are making the same mistake as Roger. You are looking back with current scientific knowledge. The Writer may not be scientifically oriented so his/her 'soften' could mean 'weaken'. The author felt somehow the dry desert air weakened the skin. A dry skin is likely to crack thus the blisters.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:51 pm
@talk72000,
You're trying too hard.
talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I am just trying to give all possible meanings. I analyse things things that is my trade. I write instruction manuals and specifications.
roger

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:05 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

I write instruction manuals. . . .

I knew it!. I just knew it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:06 pm
@talk72000,
You are instructing people here who live in the desert. You seem to need a desert manual yourself.

Your last effort was particularly weak, that the author might have been confused about what the words "soften skin" mean.
talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:13 pm
@ossobuco,
There is no information on the author. I am merely putting myself in his/her shoes to elicit any possible meaning.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:18 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I knew it!. I just knew it.

Instruction manuals are not like edicts from the government with 'shalls' It is a guide to operating the machine. It also provides some understanding or explanations. If you fail to operation the machine properly it will go kabunk!

The machine are controlled by ladder diagrams that have sequences in operation. You have to activate the first sequence and so on.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:55 pm
@Fido,
And as I jogged toward my room, I was reminded that in the end we all return to where we started. I had small blisters on my toes, which I learned was because my skin had softened in the contemplative desert air. My whole being had become more sensitive and open.

Quote:
And as I jogged toward my room, I was reminded that in the end we all return to where we started.

Does this mean that the room is where this person started their life, started their married life, their school life, their business life, their ... ?

Quote:
Air is not contemplative... When is contemplation a quality of air and when has it ever been???

Why are you being so stubbornly dense, Fido? 'contemplation' is not a quality of air or of anything or anyone else. 'contemplation' is a noun; qualities are described by adjectives.

When is contemplative a quality of 'atmosphere', of 'book', of 'movie', of any other non-sentient object and when has it ever been?

'a contemplative person' is one given to contemplation and a 'contemplative air/atmosphere' is one that is conducive to people being contemplative in that locale/environment.

Quaint Little Nashville Café offers Contemplative Atmosphere

This lends a contemplative air to the songs, allowing the listener to consider the substantial verse that preceded in anticipation of the ...

What made you like England in particular? It's just what makes England real for me, like Northumberland's magnificence, Cornwall's mystery, Wiltshire's ancient soul or the contemplative air of the ...

Quote:
And no where is desert air likely to soften ones skin,

For "the who knows how many" times, the sentence does not state absolutely that that is what the desert air did. Read the sentence for dog's sake;

I had small blisters on my toes, which I learned [deep sarcasm] was because my skin had softened in the contemplative desert air. [deeper sarcasm] My whole being had become more sensitive and open.

A person can get small blisters from running and it's not at all uncommon to hear people give absolutely inane reasons for such events. It's also not difficult to imagine that that could have been done in this situation; NOTE "which I learned".

JTT

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 03:56 pm
@ossobuco,
You're not trying at all.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 08:04 pm
@JTT,
You are saying that a spiritual experience caused blisters... I can imagine a spiritual experience giving Nietzsche syphillis more easily... ... It is garbage... Things do not happen without a physical cause, and since Occam we have eliminated the spiritual cause first... So get thee real Jay Tee Tee
JTT

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 09:39 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
You are saying that a spiritual experience caused blisters...

You can't be this dumb, you really can't, Fido.

And as I [actually] jogged toward my room, ... . I had small blisters on my toes [from jogging], which I [had] learned [from another person at this spa] was because my skin had softened in the contemplative desert air. [this same spa where people go to relax and contemplate]

[Of course, that person was full of ****] [The scoop going around was that the desert air had made] My whole being become more sensitive and open.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 10:13 pm
@PennyChan,
the writer is using a figure of speech or metaphor known as personification giving the 'desert air' the quality of 'contemplative' to set the mood or intent of the paragraph

'the contemplative desert air' is an excellent example of how figures of speech add considerable interest to the text
Fido

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 12:19 am
@laughoutlood,
I would be laughingoutloud if anyone believed that as an excellent example of anything but a bad example... The personification of elements is pure cant.. People once feminized the virtues and even the arts to the point where the masculine only gave themselves to conquest and trade... It was once classical and now is only passe'... Got something to say: Say It or shut up... Some people should contemplate more and write less...

The value of a well written sentence is found in the fact that people do not have to wonder for the rest of their lives what exactly was meant... If people want to read poetry there are books in the thousands, but no one has the time for purple prose... Tell the story if you have a st ory to tell....Forget the pretty face... If a mechanic is dealing the cards she knows what is in your hand before you do... There are many ways of suggesting anything you might want to say without having to say it, and there is the art in writing.... Be subtle... T J Stonewall Jackson said that mystery was the key to winning battles, and he made that remark on a battlefield won by stealth... But there is nothing of stealth to giving away a word you want people to have in mind in such a clumsey and inept fashion so that when the sentence is done no one can say for certain what your meaning was... Can you grasp what I am saying... Van Gogh did not paint flowers; but he suggested them into ones consciousness... That is the touch every artist needs... The Power of suggestion...