What does the word "workmen" mean here?

Nancy88

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 02:17 am
My little cat craves attention, knows no boundaries, greets workmen at the door, sports a relentless shoe fetish, harasses his fellow felines, and even plays fetch if in the mood.
What does the word "workman" mean here? What kind of jobs do they do and why the cat can greet the at the door. According to my understanding, the workmen are workers who do the housework for the author of this passage? Am I right or not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 414 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 02:52 am
@Nancy88,
Workmen can be people like plumbers, people repairing appliances, people installing stuff like carpets and such, electricians...all the people who come to do various things that need doing in homes from time to time.

A cleaner certainly COULD be described as a workman, but they generally get called cleaners.

The cat could greet them at the door because they generally knock at the door to be admitted, and the cat obviously goes to the door to greet people.
0 Replies