Panel Says 9/11 was Preventable

PDiddie

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:58 pm
So you agree that Karl Rove called Governor Kean and threatened to have him 'suicided'?

:wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 07:27 am
From Salon:

Quote:
Asked if he thought Kean's recent remarks signaled a more aggressive phase of the investigation, Bill Harvey, whose wife died in the World Trade Center attacks, says he is "cautiously optimistic." For months, he and other skeptics have been critical of the commission's progress, pointing to lackluster public hearings that dealt with policy issues and not the events of 9/11, as well as subpoena power that went largely unused.

"There's been a complete lack of substantive, hard-hitting hearings with witnesses actually answering questions from commissioners," Hence complains. "That's an investigation, and we haven't seen that yet."

But they may soon. CBS reported that Kean promises major revelations next year. And starting in January the commission's hearings will focus much more closely on Sept. 11 itself and will feature senior administration officials involved with intelligence and national security. "In that kind of setting people may well be sworn in to testify and the proceedings will resemble a more conventional hearing," commission spokesman Al Felzenberg, told Salon earlier this year.

"We've been waiting for a long time for these types of hearings," says Van Auken, who wants to find out why Bush sat with elementary school children on the morning of Sept. 11 for nearly 30 minutes after the second World Trade Center tower was hit. Why Condoleezza Rice, Bush's national security advisor, told reporters the administration never guessed terrorists would use hijacked planes as missiles, when there were scores of instances when government agencies had suggested just such an attack might one day occur. And why it took the FAA 29 minutes to notify NORAD that American Airlines Flight 77, bound for Los Angeles, was drastically off course and heading for Washington, after two hijacked planes had already crashed into the World Trade Center.

"It's been over two years, and it's time to answer these questions," Van Auken says.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 12:47 am
Major revelations next year? After the elections I assume.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 06:22 am
It won't happen again?
the investigation is not a waste of money or time. Maybe something can be learned to help prevent another attack. No one will get into any hot water behind it. Condie or any of the gang could have told a 100 lies. No negative consequences. I don't feel that any of these people can be touched by anyone. The Neo cons have control over the Judical System.

Maybe not via planes but I sure feel that another major attack will occur in some manner. I don't feel that there is any way that any agency can stop one from happening. Al Q. is taking a breather and letting America stew in the Iraqi pot for awhile. No matter what this Govt. claims, I am not convinced that Al Q. is diminished in capacity to carry out a major strike in the USA. I have no inside info. It is pure gut feeling. Of course, I hope this won't occur.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 08:58 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I think that BOTH administrations "dropped the ball". But, then again, I have never been too fond of Monday morning quarterbacks, so I think that it is counterproductive to place blame on one president or the other.

Part of the problem, as I see it, was that few people would have anticipated, or even imagined, the scope of the tragedy that was 9/11. It was a wake up call for all of us.
The important thing is to make sure that something like that will NEVER happen again!

Well George seems intent on ensuring things like that happen regularly,
albeit not in the US.

I think many people anticipated an attack of the kind. Use of aeroplanes as missiles dates back to WWII. Information which was available prior to 9/11 makes it clear that gross incompetence, if not criminal neglect, was the reason the attack was not thwarted.

Which desk had a sign reading "the buck stops here". That is about accepting responsibility something of which dubya and henchmen haven't an inkling.

I agree a president was not responsible for the attack. That infamy belongs to the perpetrators. However the Bush regime was derelict in its duty of care to US citizens. Funny, these guys interpret National Security as that which feathers their nests.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:09 pm
Amazing references to hindsight, with hindsight even Homer Simpson would have stopped the tragedy.

Stop excusing the negligence which allowed this to happen. The allegations being made are based upon failure to use a body information which was available well before 9/11.

References to hindsight are red herrings.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:46 pm
Airline executives who found themselves begging for government money after the tragedy were reluctant to give up gold plating all the doorknobs in thier mansions and see to it that security of their passengers was paramount. Complacency? Yes, mixed with a good dose of greed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2003 09:47 pm
(This is another manifistation of the Marie Antoinette syndrome, only this time it, "Let them eat fire and brimstone.")
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 12:37 pm
PDiddie wrote:
BTW, has anyone noticed that we no longer have color-coded alerts any more?

There they are...must've slipped down between the sofa cushions...

Quote:
Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge announced Sunday the raising of the U.S. security level from yellow (elevated) to orange (high), an official told CNN.

A Department of Homeland Security spokesman said the U.S. intelligence community has received a "substantial increase" in the volume of threat-related intelligence reports.

Ridge is expected to discuss concerns about continued al Qaeda threats to the United States, the department announced.

Moving from Saffron Yellow to Tequila Sunrise Orange (shift, George):

http://www.thismodernworld.com/weblog/images/bushelevated1.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 01:34 pm
Yup - just heard about the new raised alert in the news an hour or so ago. Just in time for holiday travellers to be verra verra annoyed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 02:44 pm
What actually HAPPENS differently when George moves to orange?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 02:49 pm
The sheep stop shopping, deb.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:52 am
Want to know a secret?

An NYT Magazine interview with Tom Kean:

You seem to believe that 9/11 did not have to happen.

Yes, there is a good chance that 9/11 could have been prevented by any number of people along the way. Everybody pretty well agrees our intelligence agencies were not set up to deal with domestic terrorism. Everybody had been set up to fight the cold war. They were not ready for an internal attack.

Did anyone in the Bush administration have any idea that an attack was being planned?

That is why we are looking at the internal papers. I can't talk about what's classified. President's daily briefings are classified. If I told you what was in them, I would go to jail.

Are you a friend of the president's?

I've met Bush, but I know his father better than I know him. Actually, I've discussed 9/11 more with President Clinton. We are friends. We were governors at the same time.

As a former Republican governor of New Jersey, can you genuinely be fond of a Democrat from the South?

Governors don't have to be political, because we are not competing against one another. When I was chairman of the education commission, Clinton was vice chairman. We became good friends.

Do you feel the 9/11 commission has had full access to the documents you need?

Yes, but these classified documents cannot move. In order to read them, I have to go to little rooms, which are wired and where cellphones don't work. I always thought a skiff was a small boat. But not in Washington! In Washington, a SCIF (sensitive compartmented information facility) is a room where you keep classified documents.

Are you allowed to photocopy the documents?

No. The highest-classified documents, I can take notes on. The notes are then kept in the same safe. I can't walk out of the room with my notes. When I want to read them, I have to go back to the SCIF.

But doesn't that defeat the whole point of note-taking?

This is not my world. I go along with what everyone else goes along with.

Where are the SCIF's located?

I can't say. There are a bunch of them around the White House and around Congress.

Who, exactly, decides what disappears into the SCIF's?

There seems to be a group from the intelligence agencies, and they are classifying everything in sight. I have told friends of mine in Congress that one of the things they should look into is overclassification.

Would you say that the bureaucracy of intelligence agencies is hampering your investigation into intelligence?

It's not hampering the investigation. But it makes it inconvenient when you can't take things back to the office with you to study, when you've got to refresh you memory by going across town to a little room in the White House to read your notes.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:26 pm
The interesting point in that interview, and one that appears to have been missed by most people, is the phrase "internal attack." The 11th September, 2001 atacks were essentially "domestic terrorism." For all the fears held by the far right that al-Quaeda is going to parachute into Manhattan, or drive tanks though the Niagra border, these are the least of our worries.
0 Replies