Serious question for the menfolk

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:44 pm
I was reading a thread about menopause just now, and just commented on another thread how my various cholesterol ldl's hdl's etc. have changed since going through menopause.
Of course there's all the years before that of monthly cycles.

Not kidding around, I was wondering how you feel you would deal with it if you had a period every month for 30 or 40 years.

Also, after gliding along for that period of time with a built in protection against various ailments, how you'd respond to having to make somewhat significant changes in your life to make up for it.

Sure, someone will come along and say if you'd always had a period, there'd be nothing to get used to.

Rather, what do you think it would be like to have a period?

Green Witch

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:03 pm
@chai2,
I don't know what the men have to say about menstrual cycles, but I can honestly tell you I can't image what it would be like to have male genitalia. I have commented to my husband that I have no idea how he gets anything done with all that stuff hanging between his legs.
roger

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:14 pm
@Green Witch,
We ain't gonna trade, GW.

Does that help with your question, chai?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
@chai2,
I've heard enough from women to know its not something that you get used to.

I know it's a far cry from menstruation, but I've been shaving for 41 years and I'm not used to it. I can't stand it.

I'm sure I would hate having a period.

It's inconvenient, it causes, at a minimum, discomfort, and you can't really talk about it any setting.

I've never minimized it, although I have been frequently guilty of the great sin of smacking my forehead and announcing "Of course! It's that time of the month," after my wife threatened to skin me alive for leaving a coffee cup in the sink.

My wife had a hysterectomy fairly early in her life and so if she went through menopause it was probably then. She reports that she's never felt as though she were going through a time when she experienced symptoms associated with menopause. Maybe she was just lucky.

If I had experienced The Curse for 30 or 40 years in a row and then found that eventual respite carried with it a whole new set of assorted pains in the metaphoric ass, I would be really pissed.

But hey, you get to experience the joy of child birth!
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:54 pm
I might be the only woman in the world who thinks a period is not a big deal.
i dont necessarily LIKE it.. but.. its no issue.
I dont get extreme reactions, doesnt hurt, I do swell a bit, but its gone in a few days. Just like the period.. gone in a few days..
Not a major issue at all
ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Those were the days. I used to throw up all over campus from menstrual cramps - in the ivy in front of the chem building, in the women's lounge (only slightly more discrete). The good part was that after the cramps passed, the sense of relief was good, almost euphoric. Of course now they know what is going on with cramps and there are treatments.

I don't remember menopause as being so bad, except that that probably explains some enhanced crabbiness on my part. This may or may not have had to do with my divorce, divorce being complicated, at least sometimes.

Several friends had early hysterectomies, with differing psychological takes in the aftermath. One was very clear - no ovarian or uterine ca worries, meds to keep her going hormonally, no mess, no fuss. All good to her. Of course, I didn't know her when she had it; I bet she had some tougher days.

I never ever wished to be a guy. From time to time, I was interested in subjects a girl of the 50's was not expected to be concerned with.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:24 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Rather, what do you think it would be like to have a period?

Natural.

Knowing it would be natural and experiencing how natural it is ... oh sorry is this a philosophy thread ...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:46 pm
@chai2,
Ma'am; without getting too personal, I wouldn't mind women junk if it felt as good as my wife's... It can't be much worse than man junk... I worry about getting hung up in a barbed wire fence even when I am miles away from one... It is like having your whole personality on the outside of you where it has to be protected, kept warm, bayb-ied, and kept from the sight of the envious and derisive...

I envy women for having an hood over their engines... They are built for speed, with nothing flapping around in the wind, and no nuts to crush between their thighs... A little blood is a small price to pay for their part in procreation... Being a father is like gitting to know a fish by way of a fishing pole, and it begins and always is at a distance... I wouldn't want to be a girl because I would have to put up with people like me.... And I wouldn't want to set the bed on fire with a hot flash either... Is there a third alternative???
Fido

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:48 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I don't know what the men have to say about menstrual cycles, but I can honestly tell you I can't image what it would be like to have male genitalia. I have commented to my husband that I have no idea how he gets anything done with all that stuff hanging between his legs.

Maybe that is why men don't get much done: They are always looking for a natural sort of place to put their junk...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:54 pm
Women are wonderful, but the only thing I envy about their gender is their sexual power over men.

Fido

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Women are wonderful, but the only thing I envy about their gender is their sexual power over men.

The only thing missing from their power is the awarness of it... They belong in charge... The world was a better place when women ran things, and thought they created life, and followed lineage through the mother's side... They are great leaders and terrible followers... And truly rotton to each other only when playing the power game through a man... It is the best thing about growing old, that when testosterone stops fueling your life, you can sort of see things from their angle, more conceptually, I would say, holistically mayby.... Who knows... I think women are better people than people...
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:15 pm
@shewolfnm,
No I feel pretty much like that as well. Though I quite like being on the pill so I can choose not to have a period when it's inconvenient - or just because I can't be bothered.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:25 pm
Honestly, I'm just too macho to even think about this....in fact I'm feeling a bit queezy...need to go use my nail gun...the big one.

---------

There was a comedian that had a bit about this...back in the 80's, his name slips the mind.....but he had a big voice, John Wayneish....saying to his buddy on the phone....no I can't go on the hunting trip cause I'm flowin like a fukin river.
Fido

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:30 am
@2PacksAday,
Time for another nail in your coughfin???
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:48 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

We ain't gonna trade, GW.

Does that help with your question, chai?

You don't know anything about our equipment...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:49 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Ma'am; without getting too personal, I wouldn't mind women junk if it felt as good as my wife's... It can't be much worse than man junk... I worry about getting hung up in a barbed wire fence even when I am miles away from one... It is like having your whole personality on the outside of you where it has to be protected, kept warm, bayb-ied, and kept from the sight of the envious and derisive...

I envy women for having an hood over their engines... They are built for speed, with nothing flapping around in the wind, and no nuts to crush between their thighs... A little blood is a small price to pay for their part in procreation... Being a father is like gitting to know a fish by way of a fishing pole, and it begins and always is at a distance... I wouldn't want to be a girl because I would have to put up with people like me.... And I wouldn't want to set the bed on fire with a hot flash either... Is there a third alternative???

Will you marry us? We think we're in love!
2PacksAday

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 12:52 am
@Fido,
Never just one...always 2, I do everything in pairs.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:01 am
I would so much rather be a woman. I'm insecure enough without the added pressure of being completely defined by the size of a floppy, fleshy appendage hanging between my legs. It takes two to ****, but as the man - I'D be blamed if the sex wasn't good. Sheesh.

I had a horrible experience one to two days a month since I was 9 years old, until the pain became so bad in my late 30s, that I begged for someone to slice me open and take out everything associated with reproduction. Despite that - I was the happiest I've ever been when I was pregnant. Being the vessel that incubated my beloved babies and brought them into this world was the most wonderful time and experience of my life.

I love to flirt, to walk with slow strides, feel the breeze in what's left of my hair - to please my man, to do the little things that make men want me... Some days I feel like a "person." Some days, I feel like a woman. Love those days...

I know women are seen as weaker, but, I feel powerful. I wouldn't trade with a man for anything. Endometeriosis or no. I can be soft; I can be hard. I can be weak; I can be strong. I can wear dresses; I can wear faded Levis.

The only things I can't do are open jars and well, basically use technology. If my relationship ends....I'll buy cans....and get a male roomate. Wink
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:01 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

I might be the only woman in the world who thinks a period is not a big deal.
i dont necessarily LIKE it.. but.. its no issue.
I dont get extreme reactions, doesnt hurt, I do swell a bit, but its gone in a few days. Just like the period.. gone in a few days..
Not a major issue at all

It was no drama for me...actually I was thrilled when it all began. Mind you, stress after my mum's death triggered a wee hormonal glitch which meant that I pretty much stopped having 'em when I was sixteen...except for 10 years in the pill, (which doesn't really count as proper periods), so I guess you could say I got off really easy!!

I so can't see why men get funny about the whole thing...after all they shoot pee and sperm FROM THE SAME PLACE.....they can't hide their feelings, and they carry an exquisitely vulnerable to intense agony sack around just where it always gets bumped on stuff!!!!!!

And they have to dangle their stuff out there in public when they pee.

Dear goddess!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:03 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm insecure enough without the added pressure of being completely defined by the size of a floppy, fleshy appendage hanging between my legs.

What about two hanging on your chest? Cool