What does the word "blandness" mean here?

Nancy88

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:59 pm
Growing up in the 50s was a time of innocence and fun. I can look back and see that I have enjoyed a period blesed, if you will. with blandess.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,266 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:09 pm
@Nancy88,
A time without substance, a time of vacuousness, a time that conservatives wish could last forever.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:26 pm
@Nancy88,
Blessed by blondeness.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:57 pm
@Nancy88,
Something is bland if it is without spice or excitement. Food is often described as bland if it doesn't have a strong flavor.
Fido

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:10 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Something is bland if it is without spice or excitement. Food is often described as bland if it doesn't have a strong flavor.
It may mean exactly that since part of the excitment of life has been brought about by increased cultural diversity and that has also come to change our diets so that where I live one could eat a culturally diverse diet as well as engage with individuals of different cultural heritages on any night of the week for weeks on end...But to say blessed with blandness really reveals the soul of a person suffering nostalgia, a common enough disease among whites..
0 Replies

tortellini

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 04:49 pm
@Nancy88,
blandness to me in that sentence means smooth and beautiful subtle motionless blissfillness nothing moments in time like a wonder ful day down by the seashore
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 04:59 pm
@Nancy88,
I think the prototypical words for the fifties, in the US, for some of us, when I was nine years old through eighteen, would be white bread. The white bread tended to be very light and was seemingly puffed up by gas - perhaps it was. It worked well with a spread of mayonnaise and a slice of bologna. Typically, we also had canned chicken noodle soup and there would be a dish of potato chips. For a drink, kool aid, strawberry. All of this was not very nutritious - as we know now.

White bread could, I suppose, be contracted to 'whitebread'.

I'll admit this was more towards the early fifties than the later fifties.

Bland remains meaning something without much character.
0 Replies