Can a lawyer mean a legislator sometimes?

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:45 am
the sentence is like this: I am worried particular about our increasingly willingness to allow our government and lawyers to legislate morality and equality.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 736 • Replies: 8
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:10 am
@zhanglizoe,
While many lawyers go into government, it does not mean that in this sentence. It says "government and lawyers" to mean legislators and lawyers, so they are separate. What this means is that the author fears lawyers can use the court system to get rulings about "morality and equality" that they couldn't get through the legislative branch of government.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 11:43 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

While many lawyers go into government, it does not mean that in this sentence. It says "government and lawyers" to mean legislators and lawyers, so they are separate. What this means is that the author fears lawyers can use the court system to get rulings about "morality and equality" that they couldn't get through the legislative branch of government.

As they say on Family Feud: "Good answer!"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 12:42 pm
@zhanglizoe,

Governments make laws; lawyers interpret them. Thus they have different roles in the process.

btw also, in your sentence, you have used "increasingly" instead of "increasing".
JTT

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:21 pm
@engineer,
I am worried particular about our increasingly willingness to allow our government and lawyers to legislate morality and equality.

Quote:
While many lawyers go into government, it does not mean that in this sentence. It says "government and lawyers" to mean legislators and lawyers, so they are separate.

It doesn't have to mean "they are separate". Had the word "especially" been included before 'lawyers', it would have made it perfectly clear that lawyers are included in drafting legislation, which of course, they often are.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:23 pm
@McTag,
That was just a delayed 'ly', McTag. It was meant to go on the word, three back.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:26 pm
@zhanglizoe,
Being a Lawyer is a profession. A lawyer may have a private practice or work for the government. Most politicians in the west are lawyers that is why we have all kinds of problems. Twisted Evil Mr. Green
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 10:44 pm
@zhanglizoe,
I'm particularly concerned by the increasing willingness of government to legislate on morality and equality.

(i cant see why equality is in this sentence)
0 Replies

Coolidge

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 03:15 am
Thanks for this views.

0 Replies