I don't understand these two sentences

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 01:18 am
"When I heard that Little League baseball had disallowed the batting box because of the fear of being sued by a parent whose child might be hit by an accidentally flung bat, I was speechless." what's the meaning of "disallowed the batting box"?
"If we can all hang from the pendulum while it's at its mid-point, perhaps we can slow down its inevitable movement. Maybe we can even tip it back a little to a less complicated world where you can interact with real people on the telephone~~" what's the meaning of pendulum here?
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 785 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:28 am
@kkfengdao,
I believe "disallowed the batting box" means that they will not mark the area where the batter stands in a baseball game. I'd need more context to be sure.

A pendulum is something that swings back and forth, typically under an old-style clock. It is a symbol for policies that swing from one extreme to another, often from very permissive to very restrictive. The author is saying that we should all try to stop the pendulum "at its mid-point" which is where most people would say we've managed a good balance between the extremes - in this case, safety of the players and their enjoyment of the game.
kkfengdao

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:59 am
@engineer,
Thanks!
There's no other relevant information about the batting box, the following sentence is:" Now the airlines can't serve peanuts for fear of being sued by a peanut-allergic passenger."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 08:30 am
@kkfengdao,
Quote:
"When I heard that Little League baseball had disallowed the batting box because of the fear of being sued by a parent whose child might be hit by an accidentally flung bat, I was speechless."

I would ignore anything the person that wrote that sentence says. Little League has NOT disallowed the batting box. The batting box is where the person batting stands when he is at bat. That box is still in little league. A person standing in that box can't be hit by any bat other than the one he is holding in his hands since he is the one that would fling the bat.

As to the meaning of "disallowed the batting box", it would mean they no longer allow it to exist. It is not allowed.

Little League doesn't allow on-deck batters who would be in an on-deck circle.
0 Replies