blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 03:03 pm
sorta tells you how cheap it is to make, huh?

there is a huge pot of it cooling on the stove right this second at the Bear's Den.....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
Tea, water, sugar or honey.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:34 pm
Sweet tea was served everywhere I went during that trip to Burlington. The friends I stayed with, who were actually British, kept asking for unsweetened tea--they couldn't stomach the traditional brew...

I also got to try Cheerwine. Not on my list of tastes I must try again, though.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:34 pm
How is it possible to be thin in the south. My god, it all sounds delicious but my arteries are slamming shut just thinking about it all.
You must need a high metabolism to survive dinner time.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 04:44 pm
Cheeriwine...um um um.....

we sweat a lot here in the summer Ceili...keeps the blood thin....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 05:06 pm
Interesting theory.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:39 pm
Ooooo. I had my first taste of elderberry wine here in the South. It was sweet and delicious. Also, moonshine. Now THAT was like swallowing liquid fire.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:50 pm
makemeshiver, keep yer crappie and send me some of that Angus. It's the only beef I use as a caterer. Deep-fried or wok-fried venison doesn't appeal too much to me either. Give me a nice venison loin, grilled rare, or a rare-roasted rack of venison with a hazelnut-jasmine tea crust anyday. Mind you, I am a big fan of cornbread, Creole and Cajun cooking, and I DO indeed make hushpuppies for my clients. It's very popular. I'm a big gumbo fan, biscuits are a staple, good BBQ, okra in the Japanese style, blanched and refreshed, and dressed with a light sesame dressing. Not so snotty tasting. Also, I prefer the Philipino chiccharon to chitlings.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:57 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Deep-fried or wok-fried venison doesn't appeal too much to me either.

Eww.. Me either. To much heat there for venison. Venison needs lower temps or it dries out quickly. Blech.

And why can't good andouille sausage be found up north? What's the deal with that?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:59 pm
Good point there fishin' about the andouille....even I have trouble finding it, and I have connections!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:02 pm
I saw something labeled as andouille in the grocery store the other night but when I asked about it the guy working the meat counter said it was really just kelibasa that they added extra black pepper to. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:08 pm
Ewwww...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:14 pm
Don't know about the kelibasa (what is it?) but andouille is a hot and spicy sausage. I use it in jambalayas.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:19 pm
Kielbasa isn't bad really, it's a Polish smoked pork sausage, but to disguise it as Andouille should be a crime.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:56 pm
Well, at Pike Place Market in Seattle there's a sausagemaker hails from Lousian' -- he's reputed to make a pretty good andouille.

My girlfriend from Tennessee said she couldn't make biscuits out here -- no White Lily flour. I was skeptical until I visited her house after she'd received a "care package' from home... those biskits floated into my mouth! She was right. The flour makes all the difference.

Cav, or somebody, Why?

This-all is makin me hungry for biskits and sausage gravy. Maybe a couple eggs.

Anybody ever had pigmush?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 09:02 pm
Wy wrote:
My girlfriend from Tennessee said she couldn't make biscuits out here -- no White Lily flour. I was skeptical until I visited her house after she'd received a "care package' from home... those biskits floated into my mouth! She was right. The flour makes all the difference.

Cav, or somebody, Why?

Well... From their WWW site:

Quote:
White Lily® Flour is the light baking flour. A standard for generations, lighter baking White Lily is made today just as it was in 1883, Using only pure, soft winter wheat, White Lily Flour is ground extra fine, sifted in a unique three-step procuess and then purified again to produce a flour that is a cut above. These additional steps produce flour that is finer, lighter whiter, and superior for baking. White Lily brings incredible lightness to the South's favorite recipes. For the lightest biscuits, cakes and melt-in-your-mouth baked goods, the South's best bakers refuse to use anything but White Lily, the light baking flour.

Of course.. they might be biased. Wink
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:22 pm
Why is it that the biscuits are so light and fluffy and yet, after four or five of them, you're ready to crawl under the table for a nap?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:28 pm
mus' be the gravy... any more biskits up there?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:30 pm
Gosh, I can't remember the last time I had homemade biscuits. Says L-O-V-E to me.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:38 pm
UMM Cav....that sounds delicous....I bet you are a great cook.

Yea, I'm partial to white flour also but it has to be self rising and my brand that I prefer is WR Flour. I am also partial to white cornmeal, that is self rising. I do not use yellow. And won't hardly eat anything made with yellow meal.

I do have a friend that is Cajun. It amazes me that she can take plain white rice and tomatoes and come up with a feast. It seems that rice is a main staple in her house. lol

And I'm not really fond of Wok fried meat. I do like deer fajitas. I say that, but at camp...we have this contraption that was built out of a an old tractor disc and has had legs welded onto it, that we "wok" meat in. It used more or less for a larger skillet. We pull hot coals out from under the fire and use to heat the oil. Its hard to regulate the temperature, but we do a great job cooking in it. The hardest part is keeping the firebugs from tipping it over. lol Shocked The seem to get a thrill out of watching everyone scamper away from the fire. lol
0 Replies