Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:21 pm
Roger gave me this idea........thanks Roger....lol

Tell me, how many people in here have really had a southern down home cooked meal......?

I'm talking....... Catfish and hushpuppies
Crappie
Cornbread
Cathead buttermilk biscuits
Hoover Gravy/ chocolate gravy
Venison ......deep fried, cooked over an open fire in a wok
Fried Apple pies/ Fried pumpkin pies ( from scratch)
Po'Boy filets

Gettin' hungry yet? lol......or wondering what in the hell I'm talking about..

Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,294 • Replies: 48
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:31 pm
fried pumpkin pie!?!

I lived in GA for a few years. I am a vegetarian. It was tough. Thank gawd I lived in Athens, GA where REM-funded vegetarian restaurants thrived.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:47 pm
Oh, keep your catfish and leave the hushpuppies to me - with honey.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:32 am
I'm game, I haven't a clue what hushpuppies, crappies, cathead bisquits, hoover/chocolate gravy, fried pies and po-boy fillets are. Explain please, I live way up in the canadian north, most southern food is foreign to my tongue and brain cells.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:00 am
Ceili....
Hum.....good food is what that is....lol

Fried pumpkin pies...are delicous. Basic cream cheese, pumpkin and some other secret ingredients, cooked.....and put into rolled out homemede buttermilk biscuit dough, then fried....same with apples

Cathead biscuits...is just a term for homemade buttermilk biscuits.....the size of a CAT's head....lol

Chocolate gravy.......its more like hot chocolate pudding, you dab butter into....then dunk a cathead biscuit into it too....

Hoover Gravy.....its just a slang term for gravy made with bacon grease and flour/water...more like a rue, ...it got its name during the Hoover years, during the depression cause it was more than likely one of the main staples here.

Po' boy fillet........lol, your regular hamburger, mixed up with your choice of seasonings....wrapped in smoked bacon...covered in onions and grilled.

Hushpuppies......your basic southern cornbread recipe.....with onions, jalepeno's....pepper, buttermilk....rolled off into hot grease and deep fried.

In my family, at dinner it was common to see how sick to my stomach they could make me...my dad thought it was cute to give other names to food. One in particular was..."grub worms and grease", as he so fondly called one of my mothers casseroles. Barn yard pimp....lol, **** on a shingle....he had names for alot of it....EWWWWW!

But honestly, now I don't eat alot of meat...venison and chicken mainly. I tread near a fast food burger once in a great while....maybe once every 2 months. You gotta have a stomache for it....lol
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 06:02 am
BTW...I have friends that have a ranch and raise Black Angus. It just kills them that I won't eat beef very often. lol
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:34 am
Grew up on southern food, makemeshiver. Also...
Seafood gumbo
Jambalaya
Crawfish etoufee
Red beans and rice
Salmon croquettes
Succatash
Southern food-New Orleans style
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:00 am
Aww.....eoe....a Cajun by birth or heart one
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:06 am
Creole by birth. On my mama's side.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:16 am
HUMM......Creole cooking....YUM, I just don't eat anything you have to beat the pot to keep it from crawling out.....lol
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:58 am
Ever eat chitterlings?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:01 pm
I'd match eoe's list and add fried okra.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:05 pm
you can have my serving of fried snot . . . er . . . okra, Fishin' . . .

Ma'am, may i please have some yellow hominy fried with green onions an' spicy pork sausage?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:11 pm
Oooo! And biscuits and white gravy. Lot's a gravy... yum. Very Happy
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:18 pm
UMM.........white hominy....fried squash.....okra, eggplant......FRIED GREEN TOMATOES....lol Sweet potatoes baked.....

Yea...I have had chittlin's......when I was a kid. I have never liked it....especially in cornbread!

I know you have eaten fat back? lol Thats pretty good, but usully one piece does me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 12:34 pm
I like fat back if its crispy, and its good with buttermilk biscuits. Buttermilk biscuits are good, because you can reduce the shortening--ordinary biscuits don't do much for me, too much lard.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 01:02 pm
My experience with Southern food is really limited, having spent two weeks in Burlington, NC and a few days in New Orleans. I got a kick out of the breakfasts in NC and the barbecue, as well. Food in New Orleans was wonderful; maybe because it was different enough from anything I normally eat, I found it exotic.

This thread brings back some fond memories!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:39 pm
I'm cooking 10lbs. of chitterlings for New Years'. All for me since no one else around here eats them. With blackeyed peas, collard greens, seafood gumbo, fried chicken, mac n' cheese and potato salad. That's starting the new year off right! And then I'm going on my very first diet ever. Low carb. What scares me most is giving up rice.Crying or Very sad
I've eaten rice almost every day of my life.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 02:45 pm
Carolina Barbeque (eastern style) with pepper vinegar, brunswick stew and hushpuppies pretty much can't be beaten by anything anywhere IMO
plenty of sweet tea to wash it down too please....oh yeah and sweet potato casserole.
there's a little company in goldsboro that fries the hushpuppies on site and let's you walk up and just pull yourself off some pig right from it.....I don't how the health department feels about it but screw 'em......
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 03:01 pm
When I moved south 10 years ago, my mind was blown by the whole mentality surrounding sweet tea. It's the official drink of the south and everywhere you go, any restaurant, any time of year, it's available. And refills are free!
I still drink sweet iced tea almost everyday. Can't get enough!
0 Replies