need your help 2

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 06:37 am
1.To Zhu Xi(a famous Chinese thinker ) , a state permeated by true Confucian practices would be so internally strong.
2.For men accustomed to eating seven-course dinners, the change to the Alps must have been very hard indeed.
I'd like to know if i can replace "to" in sentence 1 with "for", and "for" with "to" in sentence 2. And how to decide which word should be used in such sentences? Or, are they interchangeable ?
thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 809 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 07:32 am
@westwind,
Here's a site that might be able to help you, westwind:

http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/durrus/153/gramch26.html
westwind

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 08:01 am
@Mame,
Thank you, Mame!
0 Replies

westwind

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:54 pm
please help!
0 Replies

westwind

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 11:32 pm
@westwind,
When the two phrases to somebody and for somebody have been translated into Chinese, they often have the same meaning, so I feel confused when to decide which word should be used to convey the same meaning .
can anybody tell me how to use them?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:59 pm
@westwind,
Here they are interchangeable, Westwind.

1.To/For Zhu Xi(a famous Chinese thinker ) , a state permeated by true Confucian practices would be so internally strong.
2.For/To men accustomed to eating seven-course dinners, the change to the Alps must have been very hard indeed.

That wouldn't always be the case. One example, using a named individual in #2 would create an odd situation;

??For/To Westwind/Zhu Xi accustomed to eating seven-course dinners, the change to the Alps must have been very hard indeed. ??

For/To Westwind/Zhu Xi, who is/was accustomed to eating seven-course dinners, the change to the Alps must have been very hard indeed.

At this moment, I can't see through this to any meaningful distinction. Maybe this will trigger something in others.

0 Replies