Make proverbial lemonade from lemons?

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:09 pm
Resentful of that day's events, I could have easily wallowed in self-pity. Instead, I chose to make proverbial lemonade from lemons, and to crawl through the window God opened once He shut the door.

What does "make proverbial lemonade from lemons" mean here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,118 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:59 am
@PennyChan,
"If the world hands you lemons, make lemonade". It's an old saying, and assumes that no one wants lemons. If that's true, then the expression means to make the best of a bad situation, or turn it to your advantage.

Still, I see lemons being sold in stores, so I guess some people find them desirable. Kind of disregard this paragraph as irrelevant - I've just never cared for the bright, cheerful comments when things go wrong. It has nothing to do with your question.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 04:54 pm
to treat this event like the well- known phrase, "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade" (make the best of a bad situation)
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 06:09 pm
@PennyChan,
A 'lemon' is used to refer to as bad. The car he sold me was a 'lemon' means the car was bad, useless, etc.
0 Replies