Philosophy of humour

itstheridderbiatch

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 03:28 pm
Speaking generally, humour is an emotion. An emotion felt similar to sadness or anger. Just like a number of different scenarios may anger you, the same goes for humour. However, speaking as generally as possible I would say that "humour is found in situations which represent familiar scenarios that resonate with us yet show them in a different light to that in which we would usually see them; a more positive one."

That is all.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 04:20 pm
@itstheridderbiatch,
It seems so, especially when I recall that when stressed I am more likely to lose my temper (anger) and burst out in uncontrollable laughter (humor).
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 08:01 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
One man's tragedy can be another man's comedy... Sad but true.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 08:45 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Humour can be used in otherwise unbearable situations. I read a book called "Mans search for meaning", which describes a psychologists experience of being a prisoner of war in WW2. He found often that among the group that he was with there was a lot of humour, and humour served as a coping mechanism in an intolerable situation.

To be able to make people laugh, however, is a form of power, and thats part of the pleasure in being funny.

Absurdity is a big part of it maybe. When we laugh at someone's seriousness, we do so because we don't find their seriousness feasible in relation to what it is that they are serious about, and so we find it "Absurd", and we laugh.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 11:09 am
@existential potential,
Great post, ep.
existential potential

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 02:59 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Humour can be a very handy tool in a social situation. For instance, if we are having a debate, and our opponent retorts with some rather good points that we cannot equal. By making a humorous point, in a sense you can undermine the point they have just made in the context of "serious debate", and at the same time win everyone over by making them laugh.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 08:54 pm
@existential potential,
Yeah, humour attacks the structure of an argument right at the base and kind of dislodges the points it makes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 09:53 pm
@existential potential,
EP, that's right, but isn't it also effective to save face by conceding the other's points?
existential potential

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2011 04:46 am
@JLNobody,
Yes, by employing humour, you save face when you’re losing an argument, rather than appearing to be more and more of a fool, by arguing a point that has been shown to be invalid or whatever. You save face, but like Pentacle queen said, by using humour you can attack and make a mockery of the whole situation, and in a way disarm the entire situation.
0 Replies