cheating husband, devastated stepdaughter

MsB

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:02 pm
ok, here is the thing: I got married in 2008. I have a now 18 years old daughter who has been through a lot with her real dad. Due to the fact that we spent most of her life just her and me we are very, very close. She has been rejected by her father her entire life basically and really has issues trusting men. So when I met my husband in 2004 it was difficult for her at first to open up etc. He did everything to win her trust and to ensure her that he would never hurt her nor me. He basically was the dad for her that she always dreamed of, he was just awesome with her always. I can not say anything negative about that. And she finally started to open up an trust him. Last year - my daughter and I were out of the country through the summer to visit family overseas - he had an affair. I just found that out maybe two months ago. My first impulse was to kick him out of the house. But after a lot of talking and seeing a counselor we decided to give it another try. Or I should say, I decided to give him another chance. But its hard. And its still on my mind what he did. And tiny little arguments or disagreements turn into big fights, because especially then, when I am pissed at him, the memory of what he did comes back. Anyways, to make a long story short: My daughter found out what he did last friday. Now she does not want to talk to him at all, she leaves the room whenever he comes in etc. She said, she regrets, that she ever called him dad. I really dont blame her and I totally understand her. I myself am still mad and upset too. But how can this be fixed? I told my husband that he will have to bust his ass to re-earn her trust. And that there is no guarantee that she will ever forgive him. The situation in the house right now is just unbearable. I am still willing to give my marriage another shot. But then again, I cant stand my daughter being so torn. So what to do? She said she would like to see a phsychiatrist or counselor but she said right now she does not want to work on the relationship with her stepdad. I am so sad and I dont know what to do. Any advise for me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,224 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:52 pm
Your daughter will handle this as well as you do . . .

Perhaps letting this man be a human would be a first step. It was unreasonable to expect anyone would be "perfect" to her for her entire life.

He screwed up and wants to make amends. Until you let him regain your trust and put the marriage back together, she will not allow herself to let him earn his trust back either.

So, be a good role model for whatever you want to do. But let her know that he is a human, and that you are going to allow him to be just that.

He has amends to make, for sure.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 01:41 am
@MsB,
First of all understand that it’s okay to be hurt, and to be angry. Both are very human emotions, and very understandable.
Quote:
He basically was the dad for her that she always dreamed of, he was just awesome with her always. I can not say anything negative about that.
He does have some good qualities I see.
Quote:
...my daughter and I were out of the country through the summer to visit family overseas - he had an affair. I just found that out maybe two months ago. My first impulse was to kick him out of the house. But after a lot of talking and seeing a counselor we decided to give it another try.
I’m glad to see he wants to try with you still. Did he tell you what contributed to him straying? If you don’t understand why he strayed, you will find it very hard to ever trust him again. Understand that affairs depend on two things : The make up (ie emotional needs) of the person engaging in the affair, and the make-up (ie the exchanged meeting of each others needs) of the relationship. It may be that he will be a philandering fool no matter who he is with, or it may be that he was not having his emotional (by the way, emotional is very closely tied to physical, but not entirely dependant on the physical) needs met. You need to work out which it is.
Quote:
Or I should say, I decided to give him another chance. But its hard. And its still on my mind what he did. And tiny little arguments or disagreements turn into big fights, because especially then, when I am pissed at him, the memory of what he did comes back.
You need to decide whether you’re truly going to give him another chance, which does not involve forgetting (that’s mentally impossible), but does involve actually giving him another chance.

And have you asked yourself ‘what do I want from my relationship right now, and in the future’ and ‘what is the best way to build towards that’?

Unfortunately this isn’t just about him earning your trust back – it’s about both of you (ie. you as well) putting in an effort to rebuild the relationship.

That doesn’t mean you have to throw yourself at him, because he does need to understand how much you hurt him, and he does need to earn your trust back. But you do need to look at your reward system to ensure you aren’t sabotaging his every attempt to rebuild trust.

Quote:
Anyways, to make a long story short: My daughter found out what he did last friday. Now she does not want to talk to him at all, she leaves the room whenever he comes in etc. She said, she regrets, that she ever called him dad. I really dont blame her and I totally understand her. I myself am still mad and upset too. But how can this be fixed?
Your daughters trust of him is not your issue. You have a bigger issue right now - your marriage. Your daughters emotional issues may tug at your heartstrings, but in the end, it is for her to come to an accomodation with her feelings, and if you are split between your daughters issues and your marriages issues - you may end up tying them together which may result in both being impossible to mend. I'd say worry about your marriage for first.

Also, as mentioned in a previous post – how you handle this will watched closely by her. She may eventually try to help, or she may even try to sabotage any headway you and your husband make - that depends on her (and is a major reason why you should not tie the two together)

Quote:
I told my husband that he will have to bust his ass to re-earn her trust. And that there is no guarantee that she will ever forgive him. The situation in the house right now is just unbearable. I am still willing to give my marriage another shot.
Growing up, I watched my parents go through years of fighting. Their fights never made any sense to me. And they always blamed each other for what in the end, was silly nonsense. It was only after they divorced that I realised they had each wanted to separate for quite some time before they actually did, and the fighting was just their way of building up towards feeling justified (within themselves) in divorcing the other. Just make sure you aren’t staying in this relationship for the same reason.

If you haven't been forthright with him, and told him how much what he did hurt, then be forthright with him (but don’t be vindictive). Talk about your hopes, talk about your emotional needs, talk about who you are, and how when those things were broken how hurt your became. Let him understand who you are.

Best of Luck

0 Replies