a heaviness in jaw and a prickling of his tongue

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 03:07 am
what does a heaviness in jaw and a prickling oh his tongue mean?
thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,622 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 05:17 am
It's not really reasonable to give an answer without more context. Can you write out the passage in which you read this? Neither of those expressions are stock phrases in English.
zhanglizoe

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 06:22 am
@Setanta,
it occurs when a dental doctor make a inspection on the teeth of the patient
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 12:31 pm
OK . . . dentists (not dental doctors--it's not that they aren't doctors of dentistry, it is merely that in English, we call them dentists) examine peoples teeth, or they perform an examination--there is no need for the preposition "on." So, the sentence "it occurs when a dental doctor make a inspection on the teeth of the patient" has a few problems. First, in English, sentences are invariably begun with a capital letter, and are closed with a punctuation mark. So, the sentence should properly read: "It occurs when a dentist examines a patient's teeth."

You have some other problems here, which is why i asked you to copy the context in which you found this phrase. If a dentist used some form of local anesthesia, that would explain the phrase, which can be seen as a description of the sensations one experiences from the local anesthesia. However, a dentist is highly unlikely to use anesthesia just to examine someone's teeth.

So, if someone here asks you for context, please do us all a favor, and copy the text in which you read the expression.
JTT

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 11:39 pm
@Setanta,
You don't have to forgive Setanta for his extreme surliness, Zhanglizoe, though you likely will. He just got smacked down hard in another thread. He has never taken kindly to having his numerous mistakes pointed out to him.

Quote:
First, in English, sentences are invariably begun with a capital letter,

Set then writes, as he usually does: which is whyiasked you to copy ... .

Which do you think is a more flagrant abuse of English, Setanta, your failure to capitalize the pronoun 'I', which as you know, is invariably a capital I, or a typo from a person struggling to learn a new language?
0 Replies

zhanglizoe

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 01:49 am
@Setanta,
First of all, i am grateful for your pointing out my language problems. However , please forgive me to say just as JTT criticized that you were also making a mistake “which is whyiasked you to copy”
Second, the extracted paragraph is like this: The Killer winced and snarled when the needle went in-----upper right, then lower left. Soon the dentist reported a heaviness in his jaw and a prickling of his tongue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:51 am
There is a difference between a typographical error, and an error in one's expression of the English language. I can understand why JTT makes a nasty comment, because it's an obsessive, vile and offensive son of a bitch who loves to criticize nearly everyone who is a regular contributor here. However, you, as a student of English, should understand that i wasn't just taking a pot shot at your errors, i was attempting to help you understand how the English language is usually spoken. However, if you have a chip on your should about having such errors pointed out, i'll make a point of remembering your screen name and avoiding your posts in future.

Quote:
The Killer winced and snarled when the needle went in-----upper right, then lower left. Soon the dentist reported a heaviness in his jaw and a prickling of his tongue.

Whoever wrote this is either not a native speaker of English, or is just pathetically sloppy as a writer. The way this is written, it makes it sound as though the dentist were the one to whom the anesthesia were being administered--it's badly written. That's not a criticism of you, but take it how you like, i'll have done with you.
zhanglizoe

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 08:13 am
@Setanta,
Sorry!
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 10:30 am
The Killer winced and snarled when the needle went in-----upper right, then lower left. Soon the dentist reported a heaviness in his jaw and a prickling of his tongue.

Well, it COULD be a murder-thriller where the killer does gives the dentist a shot of novicaine, in an ironic turn of events.

But Zang should have given the context. Now it can be explained.

This kind of shot numbs the nerves so the dentist can start working on the teeth. Many people experience a heaviness in the jaw and a tingling of the tongue when the medicine starts working.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 11:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta lectures about nasty comments. What a hypocrite. And he illustrates this hypocrisy time and again, in thread after thread and post after post.

Quote:
There is a difference between a typographical error, and an error in one's expression of the English language.

What does this mumbo jumbo mean?

Setanta get both barrels when he falls into his oft repeated habit of taking a swipe at EFLs to cover his abysmal lack of knowledge when it comes to the English language. I've seen this time and again with EFL teachers who think they have to be gods and be able to provide an answer every time an question arises.

Often, it seems that the worse a person is at understanding the workings of language, the more often they take the easy, but ignorant tack of blaming the students.

Setanta seems congenitally unable to accept that he can be wrong about language and he takes a swipe at anyone who makes such a suggestion. His personal problems should not become the problems of EFLS who simply do not deserve to hear these comments from a person who so often gets it wrong about English

Quote:
Whoever wrote this is either not a native speaker of English, or is just pathetically sloppy as a writer.

A trick common to those who find themselves flummoxed by the workings of language. A trick that is common to Setanta.

Quote:
The way this is written, it makes it sound as though the dentist were the one to whom the anesthesia were being administered--it's badly written. That's not a criticism of you, but take it how you like, i'll have done with you[??].

For EFLs: "i'll have done with you" is not idiomatic English.

"I'm done with you" is the norm.

In this particular case it's also highly illustrative of the very things I've been describing about Setanta. He jumps to the crazy assumption that this student has a chip on their shoulder, with nothing at all that would lead a sensible person to do that. Then, taking his assumption to ludicrous extremes, he tells the student that he's done with helping that student.

Was he so livid that he couldn't even write the final sentence accurately?

A terribly insecure adult is all that Setanta is.

And again he's wrong about the language, as Punkey has already pointed out. There is nothing at all wrong with the language. Would more context be helpful. Of course, many sentences are opaque when they are viewed in isolation. Anyone who is a teacher would know this.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 10:40 pm
@zhanglizoe,
You owe Setanta no apology, Zhanglizoe. In fact, he owes you one, though it will be a cold day in hell before you ever see it.

Here's another very recent thread where Setanta, after being politely shown he was wrong, turned around and snapped at the person who offered the alternative.

http://able2know.org/topic/165196-1#post-4442229

You have to be very careful with advice given to you by Setanta. It could be accurate but he makes so many fundamental errors with regard to the English language that it's not worth it for you to take the chance.

Count yourself lucky that Setanta has decided to stop answering your questions. There are still plenty of people here who can offer you great advice, without the snappiness of a mongrel.
zhanglizoe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 01:50 am
@JTT,
I am grateful ,JTT.
I am a English learner and I really want to improve myself.
Sometimes I will politely accept the problems that native speakers point out and will be happy ,but actually I do not know whether it's right or wrong.
Welcom you to give me advice on my English.
0 Replies