Best type of frog for an 8 yr old

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 11:46 pm
My mother has gotten a tadpole habitat for my 8 yr old son for Christmas. We will not be able to have the tadpoles shipped until the weather is lots warmer, so we figure we can get him a small frog to place in the habitat until we can order the tadpoles (we will get an aquarium for the frog at "tadpole time"). Anyway, what would be the best type of frog to get? I have heard the pacman frogs are really good pets and are easy to care for. Thanks all!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,743 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 03:57 am
@JessiHart,
I cannot recall anyone ever asking that question before. I would probably NOT get him a Cane toad, or one of the several species of "Poison Arrow" frogs. SUranam Toads are kind of icky , so Im gonna go and reccomend one of the commoner varieties like a "Leopard Frog" or a"Bullfrog"
0 Replies

JessiHart

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 04:11 am
Thank you farmerman! His father and I are now arguing over frog or gecko! LOL I really don't want to deal with the water that you have to have with a frog (and I disagreed with the tadpole deal but his dad is the one that mentioned it to my mom and she ordered it before I knew about it). Our son will like it as he's been wanting tadpoles, but I don't think they'll keep his intrest for long; or even the frog. We'll figure it out; maybe we'll get both! I am a stay at home mom so they would get taken care of either way! Thanks again!
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 04:23 am
@JessiHart,
frogs dont necessarily need to be kept in water constantly, they also like some terrarial dry land. Id be most careful about the water though. Try to keep it from becoming contaminated by bacteria. At our University ecology labs, they use several styles of circulators for the keeping tanks. I think Id ask some HS or college biology department for help on design of a small filtration system perhaps and maybe a charcoal bed. We sdo have some aquarium enthusiasts on the board but I dont recall who they were.
MAybe you can put a serach term like "Goldfish" or "Betas" into the search engine and see what threads arise.
Sorry I cant be of more help.

As a kid I had a terrarium with a bunch of leopard frogs native to Pa Rana pipiensis they did real well and I kept em going from about age 11 to about junior high.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 08:47 am
I just went through this same thing with snakes!

I found this:

Quote:
Recommended Frogs for Beginners

For the first frog encounter, I strongly recommend the African Dwarf Frog. These guys are small, active, cute, and about as difficult to maintain as a tank of goldfish. You also don't have to deal with live bugs and they can be kept in the same conditions as goldfish for extended periods of time...(as long as there is a cover!) Dwarf frogs are very easy to take care of once they've become used to their new home. As with all fish, expect the first couple of weeks for adaptation time (many times pet stores will sell frogs that are already sick, or that are very very small and which may be a bit fragile in the first couple of weeks.) My sister had terrible luck with the baby frogs until she learned to wait for 2 weeks before she names her new pet (Usually, by then you can tell if the frogs will make the long haul) The best recommendation here is to get them at a decent size. Avoid really skinny ones or ones that are as small as your pinky-nail. In addition, if the frog doesn't give the pet shop owner a really hard time when the net goes into the tank, it may indicate some initial signs of being in less than perfect condition.
Don't confuse these with African Clawed frogs, which look very similar when small. The clawed frogs get quite large and actually are illegal in some states (Like in Oregon and California!)

For a beginning frog owner who wants to get the full terrestrial frog experience, Oriental Firebellied Toads are an excellent choice. These guys are fairly simple to care for, in so far as they can survive fairly well off crickets with vitamin supplements, and they are incredibly active critters. They also don't get too large. Finally, there are no hibernation requirements for this species and they do well in temperatures that people generally are happy to have in their homes. Unless you live in an icebox or in extremely hot climates, this species of frog won't need special climatization for it's terrarium. You'll need to find someone who can handle crickets when you go away on vacation for a week or more to take care of them though, but keep in mind crickets are much easier than frozen mice! (Finding a frog sitter for my Firebellies proved to be fairly difficult for me, until I found a friend who actually works at the pet store where I buy the crickets and he was nice enough to take care of them for me while I was out of town!)

A good Tree Frog for beginners is the White's Tree Frog. This frog has a funny personality and seems to be quite a popular pick. It should be warned however, that some children bore of the whites tree frog despite its funny personality, simply because they tend to just sit around a lot. (Once I even got a letter that said "Whites Tree Frog-What a blob of nothing!") Much of the behavior of the frogs however, can be traced to how much they eat (and how fat they get!). In addition, the Whites Tree frog is one of the few frogs that is fit to occasionally be handled, and it certainly has warmed the heart of many frog enthusiasts! In addition to dealing with crickets, the Whites tree frogs need a little more care than the Firebellies need, simply because they live best with humidity and are happiest when the tank is sprayed with water once or twice every day. However, as far as Tree-Frogs go, they are by far one of the easiest to deal with and hardiest species available to be kept as pets!

I can offer up this one piece of advice: Buy your frog at a shop that deals with reptiles. We visited several general type pet shops before discovering the reptile shop. The difference in the knowledge of the staff is absolutley stunning. The staff really worked hard to make sure my son chose the right type of snake based on our criteria.
0 Replies