A touching movie

Nancy88

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:08 am
As I inhaled scene after moving scene, the rallying classroom cry, "Carpe diem!" sang in my ears like a mantra.
The author wrote this sentence about his experience of watching an inspiring movie. I don't understand the sentence especially the word "inhale". Is there anybody can explain the whole sentence for me?
Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 459 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:14 am
It's an odd use of the term in this example, but many speakers of English use inhale to mean that someone consumes something rapidly or avidly. In this case, it means that the viewer of the motion picture was avidly taking in each scene. Carpe diem is Latin, and it translates into English as "seize the day," meaning that one should not pass up opportunities to learn, to grow more aware of one's surroundings. This was used the motion picture Dead Poet's Society, starring Robin Williams, which as a very emotional film. A mantra is a phrase repeated in prayer or meditation in the Hindu religion, and is used in English to mean a phrase which one considers very important, and uses to focus one's attention on a goal.
Nancy88

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:35 am
@Setanta,
I have to say to you Setanta that you are so kind a person and you did a great help for me. Many many many thanks !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:36 am
You're welcome.
0 Replies