kite tail?

Nancy88

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:30 am
what is a kite tail? Who can post a photo of a kite tail for me?
It seemed like the years were passing by while I simply clung to a kite tail. I felt staid, dissatisfied, unfulfilled. In short, I felt my own mortality.
What does the first sentence mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,220 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:49 am
Í'll go get a picture of a kite's tail for you in a moment. The tail of a kite flutters off at the end of the kite, and even though it is actually important for making the kite fly as one wishes, it appears to be a useless appendage. So, the sentence means that the author felt that he or she wasn not important in life, that he or she was a follower rather than a leader.
Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 05:55 am
Ha . . . kite tails are so commonly overlooked that i had a hard time finding an image which showed the complete kite tail.

http://www.bckites.ca/images/butterfly_kite_44247.jpg

A kite can have one or more tails. This one has several. Those are the strings which you see hanging down below this kite, which is in the form of a butterfly. The tail is important because it creates enough drag to make the kite more stable in the air. However, the purpose of the tail is not immediately obvious from looking at it, so in symbolic language, a kite tail means something useless, something unimportant that just follows along in the wake of important people or events.
0 Replies

Nancy88

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:09 am
@Setanta,
I do deeply appreciate your help!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2010 06:24 am
You're welcome--i try to help others with English if i can.
0 Replies