a cross between Morticia from The Addams F amily and a lemon

Nancy88

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 06:05 am
I was the crabby-looking lady! Me! The girl voted nicest smile by
her high school class. I had become a cross between Morticia from The Addams F amily and a lemon!
What does the sentence mean?And in particular what means by a cross between Morticia from The Addams Family and a lemon?
context: It is a story told by a lady who was told by the store clerks as a crabby-looking lady and feels depressed after she got home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,736 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 06:17 am
The expression "a cross between" sets up a descriptive phrase in which two different characteristics are combined. In this case, they are referring to a character, Morticia Addams, who has been portrayed on television by Carolyn Jones, and in motion pictures by Angelica Houston. A lemon is often used to refer to something sour--this is a somewhat clumsy use of the "a cross between" locution, because she is referring to her appearance, and lemons only appear to be yellow.

However, i suspect she uses lemon to mean sour. So, i would say that she refers to Angelica Houston in her role as Morticia Addams . . .

http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/anj02.jpg

. . . and the expression someone makes when eating something sour, such as a lemon . . .

http://yourdimesup.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/renee-zingwinger.jpg

So, think of the woman in the first picture, with the expression of the woman in the second picture, and you've got the image the author is attempting to portray.
0 Replies