I KNOW God does not exist

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 02:05 pm
@Owen phil,
What about empirical proof?
fresco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 02:14 pm
@Owen phil,
Sorry, but the phrase "analytical twaddle" comes to mind !

As an atheist I assert that the concept "God" exists, because I am discussing it. I further assert that all we have are concepts and that includes everything from "rocks" to "dark matter". What marks me out as "an atheist" is the functionality (semantic inter-relationships) of "the God concept" with respect to "me" (another concept) as opposed to its functionality to "a believer". i.e. For "me", it does not function as creative or comforting concept, has no tangible physical manifestations, and is neutral with respect to manifestations of what "I" might call "good" or "evil".

0 Replies

Owen phil

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 02:47 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

There cannot be an empirical proof for non-empirical entities.
Even your face to face confrontation would not be sufficient evidence for
God exists, because of the very subjective notion of 'face to face'.

If your God created the empirical universe then any essential property of that God is not emperical.
fresco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:04 pm
@Owen phil,
Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 03:39 pm
@Owen phil,
Owen phil wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

If your God created the empirical universe then any essential property of that God is not emperical.
So, if you and I stood "face to face" I could claim you don't exist? I am taking a bit of a humorous license here. I have been asked by so many non-believers where is the empirical evidence God exists?

I still claim you cannot prove God does not exist anymore than I can prove he does exist. Why is that so hard for you to admit?
bob600

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 04:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
Fine, I will leave you all to your cosy circular chats. By the way, when you find yourself on a road going nowhere, perhaps its time to try another route. Bye
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 04:07 pm
@bob600,
bob600 wrote:

Fine, I will leave you all to your cosy circular chats. By the way, when you find yourself on a road going nowhere, perhaps its time to try another route. Bye
Must be really difficult for you in life, huh? I mean, being so superior to everyone else.
0 Replies

bob600

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 04:14 pm
@Owen phil,
Sorry, cant stop to argue, but I have been told to leave, it appears that I may be offending some.

I would only suggest that should a thing not exist then it can never be proven to exist, simply because it does not exist, and to prove otherwise would be false. Likewise as it does not exist it can't be proven to not exist for the same reason. That's the current situation with the God thing. Now if something does exist then it can be proven to exist as it does exist, in addition it can even be proven to not exist in some form or other as an example of one form exists, that's NOT the current situation with the God thing. So, no brainer lets go for what we know is the current situation. Bye and may your Gods go with you.
0 Replies

Owen phil

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 04:49 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Owen phil wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

If your God created the empirical universe then any essential property of that God is not empirical.
So, if you and I stood "face to face" I could claim you don't exist? I am taking a bit of a humorous license here. I have been asked by so many non-believers where is the empirical evidence God exists?

I still claim you cannot prove God does not exist anymore than I can prove he does exist. Why is that so hard for you to admit?

I agree that nobody has produced a proof one way or the other, so far.
But, 'cannot prove' implies that 'God exists' is undecidable.
I think theists believe 'God exists' is true and knowable.
And, atheists believe 'God exists' is false and knowable.
And, agnostics believe God exists, is not knowable.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 05:51 pm
http://able2know.org/topic/12905-1
Quote:
A suggestion - why don't we examine the reasons we all seem to be drawn into seemingly futile debates over "the existence of God" etc?
The theists are convinced they either have "evidence" or "don't need evidence". The atheists may have similar claims for their position or about the status of "evidence", and the agnostics claim they"don't know" but seem to "care". Since we all know from the start that our positions are unlikely to alter, the main reason for expenditure of energy seems to be a "self maintenance exercise" which our minds seem to need regularly to keep our "mental coherence" working effectively.
fresco 2003

Oh for heights of debating levels of bygone days ! Sad
Intrepid

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2010 06:25 pm
@fresco,
Amen
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 04:12 am
I didn't see anyone tell Bob to leave, but if he wants to flounce off in a snit, that's fine by me.

What is far more important to me is that i KNOW that Intrepid does not exist, and i don't need no steenking proof.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:07 am
@Setanta,
Those who love me will be saddened to learn of this.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:33 am
@Intrepid,
Oh Jeez . . . i should have waited until after Christmas, huh?
Intrepid

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:35 am
@Setanta,
Hey, look! Setanta is talking to an imaginary friend that does not exist! Who woulda thought?

Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 11:16 am
You may be imaginary . . . but who said you were my friend?
Intrepid

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 04:09 am
@Setanta,
Crying or Very sad
Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 04:20 am
@Intrepid,
It's just a little gentle ribbing, Boss . . . don't take it to heart . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 11:09 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I didn't see anyone tell Bob to leave, but if he wants to flounce off in a snit, that's fine by me.

What is far more important to me is that i KNOW that Intrepid does not exist, and i don't need no steenking proof.
You may not need proof Intrepid doesn't exist but I do because I KNOW that he does exist! Y'all are such a hoot!
Intrepid

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2010 05:15 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Setanta wrote:

You may not need proof Intrepid doesn't exist but I do because I KNOW that he does exist! Y'all are such a hoot!

How do you know?