I KNOW God does not exist

Crazyworld

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:48 am
@bob600,
Doubt is key to a theist. If we never had doubt we could never grow in our faith! I'd compare it to you. You have no doubt and therefor make no effort to see differently!
0 Replies

Crazyworld

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:51 am
@bob600,
Exactly BOB! Thats what the scientists did. Thats what we do! We grow in what we believe! You however have shown no progress in what you believe. What have you done? What can you do to strengthen denial but deny louder. You are burying yourself in your own arguments
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 06:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Not understanding something is not usually considered strong evidence of knowing something.
Can I use this the next time a Creationist tries to tell us that Evolution is bunk?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 05:24 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
WE DON'T KNOW.

I am very confused! How can you believe in something that you do not know exists?
I am so puzzled!
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 06:45 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I am very confused! How can you believe in something that you do not know exists?
I am so puzzled!

They have faith and if I understand the concept correctly that override logic and lack of evidences on the subject of their god for them.

For example I have faith in my wife from knowing her for 26 years but that faith needed to be build over the years from the evidences of her actions during that time period.

I had enough faith in my parachute equipments to had placed my life on the line when I were jumping out of aircrafts for fun on the weekends. That faith was base on both my understanding of the primary and secondary chutes and having a good idea of the odds against both of them not working correctly on any one jump.

Having faith in a god that from both logic and the evidences around me is highly unlikely to exist at all is a very foreign concept to me however even if faith is not in the more everyday meaning of the term.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:02 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
They have faith and if I understand the concept correctly that override logic and lack of evidences on the subject of their god for them.

I can see where you are coming from with that reply but your other examples seem to imply a rational form of logic.
I guess that you were trying to demonstrate how one might use logic when making considerations?
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
My point was having faith in a person or a piece of equipment can be rational and defended as rational however faith in the manner the religion communities used the term is not the same as it required no rationality or logic or proof backing it.

Their faith appear out of nowhere and for the most part is just an element of their childhood conditioning.

Faith is a common term used in two difference manners and I had taken note that some of the religion communities try to confused the issue by claiming having faith in science is the same and having faith in a god. They are not.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:34 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
some of the religion communities try to confused the issue by claiming having faith in science is the same and having faith in a god. They are not.

You do realize that the religious community have their own science don't you?

It seems as though it is part of ours combined with faith.

Anyways I do see your point! The sad truth is that we will have descendents like them and they will have descendents like us so we need to work it out the best we can!

Can you imagine what this young lady has to say?

BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:46 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
You do realize that the religious community have their own science don't you?

Sorry they had Pseudosciences not science and the fact that they feel the need to make up a false science such as creationism is telling indeed.

They on the one hand tend to claimed that faith is all they need however that does not stop them from trying to get some respect for their beliefs by falsely claiming some scientific backing to those beliefs.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience

PseudoscienceFrom Wikipedia

Pseudoscience is a claim, belief, or practice which is presented as scientific, but which does not adhere to a valid scientific method, lacks supporting evidence or plausibility, cannot be reliably tested, or otherwise lacks scientific status.[1] Pseudoscience is often characterized by the use of vague, exaggerated or unprovable claims, an over-reliance on confirmation rather than rigorous attempts at refutation, a lack of openness to evaluation by other experts, and a general absence of systematic processes to rationally develop theories.

A field, practice, or body of knowledge can reasonably be called pseudoscientific when it is presented as consistent with the norms of scientific research; but it demonstrably fails to meet these norms.[2] Science is also distinguishable from revelation, theology, or spirituality in that it offers insight into the physical world obtained by empirical research and testing.
wayne

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:29 pm
@BillRM,
I think a lot of people use faith just as you've described.
I see the faith some people have in the bible as this use of faith.

However, the purpose of faith is to override doubt, not to override logic.
Human advancement has depended upon faith, in the face of impossible odds, to reach it's present state.
Your skydiving analogy is a good one, but the first guy to try it faced a different set of odds.
Human logic and the evidence only go so far. Humankind has, logically, made a great many leaps of faith.
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 03:40 am
@wayne,
Quote:
Your skydiving analogy is a good one, but the first guy to try it faced a different set of odds.

Very true indeed however I would assume that the first parachuting done from balloons was try out first with sandbags before a human gave it a try.

That is not to say that doing so for the first time was not a far greater risk then with try and tested equipments!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:49 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Sorry they had Pseudosciences not science and the fact that they feel the need to make up a false science such as creationism is telling indeed.

I see it more like a creative art form!
For believers it is the art of being confirmation bias and for their leaders it is an art of deceiving their followers. Drunk

It is just mental masturbation. It feels good! it makes them feel special. I do not know why they can not feel special without it.

It is sad that people will not think for themselves but instead they allow the indoctrination that they got from their environment to do the thinking for them. If they could just see that faith comes from your environment, You can have faith in all kinds of crazy Gods and beliefs, It depends on what environment that you are exposed to.

You do seem to hit the nail on the head when you say that people are indoctrinated before the age of reason!

The sad thing is that the age of reason for some is never!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:35 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
WE DON'T KNOW.

I am so puzzled!

What I consider proof of God is not what you would consider proof of God. I have faith. Ask yourself something, "What kind of God should have to prove Himself to His creation?"
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:07 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
"What kind of God should have to prove Himself to His creation?"

I would think that if a God wanted everyone to know that he exist that it would not be a hard task. Do you think that God does not want everyone to know of his existence?
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:47 am
@reasoning logic,
What you seem to not understand is it is NOT about proof. It is about faith. If God had to prove himself to you that would make you higher than God.
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:04 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
is it is NOT about proof. It is about faith

Sadly it is about you being condition by your parents as a child and not being able or even wishing to shake such nonsense off AM as an adult.

If your parents had been followers of the Hindu faith there is no question in my mind in fact I have "faith" that you would had ended up as a good Hindu or a Muslim or a Mormon or a scientologist.

Whatever your parents and or your care givens enter into your mind as a child you would be defensing.

BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:12 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
If God had to prove himself to you that would make you higher than God.

No I am sure that the creator of the universe would think it fun and worth while to play a shell game with one type of intelligent creature on one planet at which faith or belief system concerning him/her/it is correct out of the thousands ideas mankind had come up with.

Love the idea that such a being would give a **** also if humans work on one day a week or have gay sex or whatever.

AM your human center god is indeed a small god to be the creator of the vast universe.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:26 am
@BillRM,
Bill I am not going to even look at your filthy mouth that you swore up and down you don't have.
wayne

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:31 am
@BillRM,
And how does that explain someone such as Nicky Cruz?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:02 pm
@Arella Mae,
Thank you for the time that you spend explaining to me because if you have not noticed others do not take the time to explain to me!

Quote:
If God had to prove himself to you that would make you higher than God.

I am not interested in any God proven to me that he exist but what I question is why doesn't a God if they exist have a personal relationship with me?