about patriotic movement

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 12:12 am
When a country is on the verge of subjugation, and its people are trying their best to save their nation, what kind of patriotic movement would you call it?
Is "save the nation from subjugation and ensure its survival" a proper way to say that?
thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 655 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Old Goat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 02:26 am
I once had a patriotic movement.

Whilst sitting there suffering one day, I decided to sing "Jerusalem" and all hell broke loose.

"And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon England's mountains green?
OOH!
And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
AAH!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
PHEW!

Highly recommended.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 08:07 am
Ignore the Old Goat . . .

strikes?
coup?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 09:22 am
@kkfengdao,
It is interesting that a people will resist subjugation to others, foreigners and invite subjugation to their own through laws that enforce inequality... The enemy without is the enemy within... The eyes of the people are only directed out to make picking their pockets of their rights all the easier, but the army built up to defend against foreign powers works as well against them... The word you are looking for is the dirtiest word in the language unless applied to new consumer products: Revolution... No revolution can hope for success unless it encourages people to achieve their future by reclaiming their past... There is no ensuring of survival... The more people seek security the less the feel secure... Only constant active democracy as opposed to the quasi democracy we have today can offer any hope of survival, and then only by making our finite game of suvival into an infinite game.
JTT

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 02:11 pm
@kkfengdao,
Quote:
Is "save the nation from subjugation and ensure its survival" a proper way to say that?

That's one way, KK and it is fine. Why not try to put it in a full sentence to see if how you phrase it all sounds idiomatic?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 02:13 pm
@Fido,
Editorializing can only give the learner further exposure to English and how it's used but you should at least try to answer the question, Fido.
McTag

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:10 pm
@Old Goat,

Methinks I recognise this style, from the olden days.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:21 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Editorializing can only give the learner further exposure to English and how it's used but you should at least try to answer the question, Fido.

I thought I did: No people can be subjugated from without unless they are first mastered from within, and no one can be mastered from within unless they are first corrupted... By the same token, no people seeks to master the world who is not first mastered from within... Look at the Tudors, look an Napoleon, look at Alexander, and look at Caesar, look at Hitler... A people free in their own right has their business at home, but every people who is conquered by their own expresses the injustice in their lives on the whole world... The key to international conquest is national defeat... The key to world peace is world revolution... If we get rid of out exploiters we will find we have enough, and can devote ourselves to defense...
0 Replies

kkfengdao

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 08:37 pm
Thank you very much!
0 Replies