Kitchen yard or kitchen court?

Nancy88

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 08:40 pm
The other day I read a book and encountered the phrases "Kitchen yard" and "kitchen court". Does the phrase mean a yard in which there is a kitchen?
BYT it appeared in the description of an ancient abbey. Is anyone can explain the phrase for me or post a picture?
Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,333 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Nancy88

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:29 pm
Nobody anwer me, Why? Do you think my question sounds like naive?
Please this is a real question, I need your help.
Eva

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:31 pm
@Nancy88,
At an old abbey, the kitchen would have been in a separate building to limit any possible damage from fire. The kitchen yard would be the yard surrounding this building. It often contained a garden where vegetables, herbs and fruit trees were planted. Does this help?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:34 pm
@Nancy88,
Nancy88 wrote:

Nobody anwer me, Why? Do you think my question sounds like naive?
Please this is a real question, I need your help.

You do realize your question was asked on a Sunday evening where there is less activity on site. Questions are answered voluntarily. No one here is paid for their help. Remember patience is a virtue.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:35 pm
I agree with Eva as to kitchen yard (they'd probably also do a fair amount of food processing outdoors in it to in clement weather. Have no idea what a kitchen court is--not a commonly used phrase today.
0 Replies

Nancy88

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
I am sorry. I am in China not in the States right now. I didn't recognize that it is Sunday evening at home. Patience is a virture, I shall keep it in mind.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
certainly up until the 20th century in the USA it was fairly common to have the kitchen separate from the house. they may have been referred to as a kitchen yard or court. I'm not familiar with those exact terms.
0 Replies