Is it Possible for a Man to be Faithful?

Subliminal0

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 02:01 pm
@plainoldme,
So whoever asks 'where does a baby come from' does not deserve to have a child? I love your philosophy. You are levels above me.
vinsan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 09:45 pm
@Subliminal0,
Hi Subliminal0,

Perhaps the title of the thread is ambiguous for most of us. It generalises that men are always unfaihtful to their partners.

For someone like me the experience is arc-opposite. All men around me in my family, friends and social circle are dedicated, loyal husbands or boyfriends. In fact the first person, divorced, I met was a British woman, who admitted that she met her current boyfriend while she was married and then left her huband.

Also we must understand that biologically every female organism have distinct phase in her life when she concentrates more to the upbringing of her youngs, in which she undermines companionship. So such phase motivates the male to search for a new female.

I also agree that being intellectual and human, men cannot use this fact as a reason and start being unfaithful to their partners. But men are more sexually motivated than women. So when they find a void in physcial satisfaction they tend to get unfaithful.

And mind you, Sex/Money/Power are powerful motivations. Even women cannot escape the temptation.
Subliminal0

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 10:37 pm
@vinsan,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread understandably. I appreciate it.

I don't believe men are always unfaithful. I know many men out there are. Many people live in different social standards and moral views. I'm glad you've had positive experience with the people around you. I'm probably slightly biased on how unfaithful men seem because many of the people that I have spoken with/have knowledge of their sex lives, they're very unfaithful. It might be the age factor as well. I know women are not above cheating. It happens a lot and many shows seem to emphasize women being unfaithful during marriage. It's probably decently even.

I wouldn't exactly blame a man for wanting to fill a void that his wife has encouraged, but at the same time, being a couple -whether married or not - insinuates that they work on everything together. If he feels neglected or not sexually satisfied, all it takes is setting down and having a serious conversation. Maybe not all women will understand, but I'd like to believe some would.

Crime shows often express how much women kill for greed. History channels on female murder also revolve around greed/significant others. I wouldn't doubt that it is true.
Telamon

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 07:05 pm
@Subliminal0,
~Definitely an interesting read~ (not about the topic itself)
Anyways....
Replying to the latest post, you said your "slightly" biased on the topic due to the people you have spoken with aka know. Your find that everyone is influenced on this topic (as well as most others) in some shape or form. Be it through research, personal experience, or hearsay, personal feelings on the subject are built upon the foundations of the individuals life, making everyone "biased" in one sense or another.

So far, it has been established that both men and women are capable of being both faithful and not so much, correct? So referring to the threads title "Is it Possible for a Man to be Faithful?" A: yes

~Also, the use of the term "faithful" can be construed in many ways.
Subliminal0

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 01:07 am
@Telamon,
My question was worded poorly. I know a man can be faithful, but I was leaning more toward how faithful/to what extent/statistics.

Faithful to their partner physically.
vikorr

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:56 pm
@Subliminal0,
I'll go with Engineer on this one - having read through his posts, he hasn't outright been rude (there are concepts he could have phrased better), and much of his explanation of the flaws in your post have been sound.

Quote:
I didn't thoroughly think through how to word my post. In any other forum, no one that I know would blow it out of proportion like so.
Perhaps, but your subject title is very specific, and very concrete in what it is asking. Hence my initial response 'what an odd question to ask'.

Quote:
Once I said I never meant to be rude, all he had to realize was that it wasn't directed at anyone and he could move on. But he didn't. I don't feel I'm wrong at this point. Had he let it go and moved on, I likely would have apologized.
There were in fact, a number of rude responses that you posted (I can quote them for you if you wish), though it appears you are unaware of them. That sais, I find it odd your claim that after 'explaining yourself' you would have then apologised if he hadn't responded further. If so, why not just apologise in the first instance?

Quote:
I would have no problem putting women under the microscope also, but it's pointless to me because I have no interest in how faithful a woman is likely to be.
Perhaps you are overlooking the obvious? Womens faithfulness would be of great interest to anyone who is also interested in mens faithfulness.
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:21 pm
@Subliminal0,
Well statistically, about one in four or two in five (varies from year to year) are faithful when it comes to marriage, not all of which end in divorce (at least this is the best statistics i could find surfing the net). I assume dating and/or exclusive bedroom company outside of marriage, is much more difficult to track. Do to the perspectives of the individuals (i.e. "we were on a break!") and extenuating circumstance with lack of evidence to point one way or another. Additionally, their is a lack of a paper trail for statistic generators to collect for there findings (marriage/divorce papers, ext. ext.). If you want real statistics of more reliability, your welcome to search yourself.

When it comes down to it, every situation is different. A man/woman might not think of themselves a "cheater" but then later on down the road a situation arises that flips everything around, who knows. Over time the percentile has gone up, drastically some would say, over the years. But isn't that what people want? Freedom to do what pleases themselves over the old social norms? 50-60 years ago it was considered taboo to even speak of it. Times change, people change, social "norms" change, is it for the better is arguable, but i feel an answer has yet to reveal itself.
0 Replies