Do you believe the nerve?

sahaja yoda

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:01 am
@Ceili,
socrates wrote, no one does wrong willingly, plato revised it to no one does wrong knowingly, and what he meant was that people spread negativity because of ignorance in regaurd to the nature of karma, suffering turns to strength, and ill gotten pleasure fades, leaving only a darker soul, hence wickedness its own punishment and virtue its own reward.. gal pertains to feeling of bitterness, acting dillusionally is operating under a false illusion of the truth..

so you have an answer that brushes the surface of the matter.. and an esoteric answer that not only fits, but dips into the nature of the question..

thats not to say that dillusional gall would be a better answer though, the expression on the womans face is not described.. so without context of the situation, it could be anything.. it could be a woman laughing at a funneral

now please.. refute that.. if not.. OWNED..

your consolation prize.. industrial sized sugur cubes..
for that Australian stallion you look down on the world from

sahaja yoda

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:01 am
@roger,
and no this is my first time on a blog or whatever this is, typed in a question on google, the site came up, and thought it was pretty cool.. all about an hour or two ago
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:25 am
@roger,
Laughing
0 Replies

sahaja yoda

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:37 am
judgin by the silence .. VANQUISHED INTO OBLIVION..

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:05 am
sahaja yoda is trolling this thread. New readers/learners please note.

0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:25 am
@sahaja yoda,
boldness, or offensiveness.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 07:08 am
@sahaja yoda,
sahaja yoda wrote:

judgin
dillusionally
dillusional
funneral
sugur

There may be others. This person cannot be bothered to spell judging, delusionally, delusional, funeral and sugar correctly, yet is pompous enough to dare to quote Socrates... as I said, a troll.

sahaja yoda

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 11:01 am
@contrex,
haa to hell with spelling.. gammer.. all that garbage.. and all pompus pretension.. and yeah, im a dick, when provoked.. peace and be wild flys
Green Witch

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 11:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Totally agree on all counts.

Justification:
For a non-English speaker, Ceili's response would be much easier to understand, even if both responses had to be researched.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 12:58 pm
@sahaja yoda,
sahaja yoda wrote:

haa to hell with spelling.. gammer.. all that garbage.. and all pompus pretension.. and yeah, im a dick, when provoked.. peace and be wild flys

You claim to be a writer but you can't spell "grammer"?
contrex

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 02:16 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
You claim to be a writer but you can't spell "grammer"?

Or 'pompous' either.

(This is known as "feeding the troll" and we should not be doing it)

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 02:41 pm
@Nancy88,
This meaning of 'nerve' here in your example, Nancy, is this;

==============
McMillan Dictionary
a rude attitude, usually shown by behavior that makes other people angry

==========

In definition/meaning #3 from M-W, below, note how this figurative meaning of 'nerve' moves from a positive meaning, found in 3a and the first part of 3b, to a negative meaning, found in the second half of 3b.

=======================

M-W

a : power of endurance or control : fortitude, strength
b : assurance, boldness; also : presumptuous audacity : gall

=====================

Sahadja Yoda [sp??] has illustrated for you, in a real life situation, that "he" is acting the meaning found in the first half of 3b. As you can see from reading the replies, most everyone thinks that "his" reaction is that of the second half of 3b.

This thread has provided an excellent example showing how the nuances of a word can change dramatically according to who is viewing the situation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 04:49 pm
@Green Witch,
For the non native speaker of English, Ceili's answer was intended to be, and is useful, as well as being easier to understand. That is what the English forum is here for.
JTT

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:10 pm
@roger,
Quote:
For the non native speaker of English, Ceili's answer was intended to be, and is useful, as well as being easier to understand. That is what the English forum is here for.

That's hardly the only function for the English forum, Roger. If it were, we wouldn't have had the ridiculous nonsense that was the Peeves threads. There was some good that came out of them, that was that the record on how English really works was set straight.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:25 pm
For the record, I was not trying to be snarky (new word of the week, lol) I was merely giving another example of a phrase that could be used in place of the original. I'm not sure why this has caused such consternation.

The english language has so many words and phrases that can be used rather liberally or poetically to conjure up images that could be said more plainly, but that would be boring. In my humble opinion...
JTT

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:36 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
For the record, I was not trying to be snarky (new word of the week, lol) I was merely giving another example of a phrase that could be used in place of the original. I'm not sure why this has caused such consternation.

I think that only S Yoda[sp??] figured you were trying to be snarky, Ceili, but then there was some snarky that came back at you, was there not?

There wasn't much consternation that I saw. All in all, the whole thread was exceedingly helpful in helping Nancy grasp the meaning. Nothing, absolutely nothing, not even the relatively context poor that is found in writing such as here at A2K, beats context for helping one to get a real feel for a new language.

You shudda had more faith in yourself.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 05:40 pm
Do you believe the nerve? versus Can you believe the nerve?.
0 Replies