ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:44 pm
Yah, you could cook that. The flavors blend right.... and you would pit the olives.

I am not a good cook, though I love talking about cooking. Still, I am keen on flavors blending so that you know they are each there but they sort of sing, like a good group.

Much that drives me nuts about semihighend cafes is that they take the ingredients, say, for example, balsamic vinegar (a low level bottle, no doubt, poured on - you only need a few drops of a really good one) and mix them in a way where everything, and too much of everything, gets together and yells.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:25 am
I can't believe you're not a good cook osso. I tried that swiss chard with ricotta over pasta. (those little twisted thick, imported things -- i forget what they're called- didn't have any gnocchi) It was delish and sounded like something you made up!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 11:46 am
Yes. it was a make-up dish, but was similar to an old favorite one that uses spinach (ricotta, parmesan, lemon) and farfalle. There are lots of ways to go... I bet spinach would be good with raisins, butter, and a little ricotta...
did I do the chard with garlic and peppery oil?
same basic thing, saute veg in this and that, add pasta, then ricotta.

Among my cooking travails is that I have almost no sense of smell at all. Thus I have been known to burn stuff (smoke alarm, smoke alarm) while on a2k playing word games...
Yes, I have a timer by the computer for just such reasons, but I don't set it cause it'll only be a couple of minutes... sigh.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 11:50 am
Yep. I've done that!!!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 01:52 pm
Sauteeing onions, celery, garlic and carrots to make Senate Bean Soup. Smells good!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:27 pm
osso - I've boiled the water out of the kettle several times while A2King.

I almost revived this thread last night after dinner. My brother came over and I asked him, "How does Japanese risotto sound?" He said, "Terrible". So, we made it. It was good!

We were going to use sushi rice, but I didn't have enough, so we used arborio. I sauteed fresh ginger and lemon grass in peanut/corn oil, simmered some shitake mushroom broth with more ginger and lemon grass. Instead of adding wine to the sauteed grains, I added rice vinegar. Then the broth. On the last round of broth I added some red miso to it and threw it in. We then tossed some fresh spinach onto the rice, covered and turned off the heat. Mix and voila! I was a beautiful rich and warm brown color with deep green from the spinach.

I think I'll try it again with sushi rice, mirrin instead of vinegar, and more ginger. Oh, and bok choy instead of spinach.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:43 pm
Sounds good, little k. I'm eating bokchoy and swiss chard in soup right now...

I made a disasterous tofu dish about two weeks ago. Oh, gag, I had to throw it out. It was a Tassajara recipe for marinating tofu - involving soy sauce and red wine and olive oil, something I had never tried together and should have been wary of. I can't repeat the recipe here since it is by now at the city dump..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:49 pm
odd combination of ingredients!

For my most recent favorite, I sliced fennel and leeks and sauteed them in olive oil with salt. Added a pat of butter and then some vegie broth. It was enough for 3-4 servings. I added parmasian to each serving before mic'ing them. Also good. I'm glad I'm doing some cooking again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:49 pm
I do love swiss chard, maybe I should pick some up tonight....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:51 pm
It's my new favorite thing...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
The only problem with s.c. is that it wilts so fast. And when you get the red-stemmed type, that gorgeous color drains during cooking. So sad!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:55 pm
Hmm, but the juice stays reddish...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:56 pm
True.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:57 pm
True.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:57 pm
True.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
Very true, apparently.

I'm just finishing a lovely big salad with bottled vidalia onion dressing. I can't believe I found grape tomatoes that taste good right now, but I had a craving, so I bought them, and they are marvy.

I've got to have something with smoked sausage tonight (the big empty the fridge and freezer project) - will ponder in the kitchen soon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
Hmmm, hard sausage you thin slice, or links kind? (thinking of potato cabbage sausage soup... oh, with some onions...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:53 pm
hehe, that's why I quit the computer and went to nap with Bootsie....

Tonight, so far, I've had cheese (goat gouda and cheddar with port veining) and crusty bread. I'm cooking up some mushroom raviolis to eat with pesto and spinach.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 06:00 pm
hmm, i'd say it's a firm sausage vs hard. chunkable, not so much slicable. i've got some red cabbage here somewhere. maybe sausage cut into chunks in the cabbage and heated? I'm thinking very simple is a good idea.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 06:02 pm
Sounds good to me...
0 Replies