shoot for?

Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:43 pm
We couldn’t imagine being wicked enough to smoke on the street, but it was sth to shoot for, sth that smacked of high heels and saying “damn” if you broke a nail.
I can not figure out the exact meaning of this sentence. Does the phrase "shoot for" mean to take a photo here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 476 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:45 pm
@Nancy88,
No, not a photo. What you shoot for is a target or goal. Remember that some targets are missed, and some goals are elusive, but that's the idea of the phrase.
Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:46 pm
@roger,
Then, what's the meaning of the sentence here. It still buffles me.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:04 pm
@Nancy88,
Smoking on the street would be a goal.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 10:41 pm
@Nancy88,
Quote:
We couldn’t imagine being wicked enough to smoke on the street, but it was sth to shoot for, sth that smacked of high heels and saying “damn” if you broke a nail.
I can not figure out the exact meaning of this sentence. Does the phrase "shoot for" mean to take a photo here?

The speaker is describing a kind of personal rebellion. Perhaps it is a young person. They are saying that though they are still afraid to smoke in public, it is a type of rebellion that they would like to attempt, it's something to shoot for. It would be a rebellion like wearing high heels and using swear words like damn if you did something you didn't like, eg, breaking a fingernail.

Examples of "Shoot for"

I don't think I'll ever be able to become a doctor but it's sure something to shoot for [something that is desirable to obtain/become].

Girl to a girlfriend: I don't think that Billy knows I exist but I hope to change that because becoming his girlfriend is really something to shoot for.

==================

I'm sure that it was just a typo, Nancy.

It still buffles me. --> It still baffles me.
0 Replies