A tiger cub soars in the valley,shivering numerous beats.

Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:08 pm
Is this sentence right or is there any improvement can be made to this sentence?
Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 648 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:47 pm
Sorry,"beasts" not "beats". I just want to describe the strong power of the tiger cub.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:56 pm
The first part of the sentence makes me think of flying tiger cubs. I assume you're not meaning to say that. Is it that the cubs' numbers are rising? Is it that the cub growing into it's scariness as an adult lion?

The second part sounds like the lion is physically taking other beasts and shaking them. Are you meaning to say that the cub causes other beasts to shiver?
Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:06 pm
@littlek,
Many thanks for your answer. I do want to say that the cub causes other beasts to shiver. To tell you the truth, I am doing a piece of Chinese to English Translation. The text's original meaning is to express the dynamism or vigor of a young country. This sentence is just a metaphor.
talk72000

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:10 pm
@Nancy88,
'The rising dragon has made other beasts of the valley nervous' for the dragon has always been associated with China and the Emperor.
0 Replies

Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:26 pm
@littlek,
Oh,I am terribly sorry. I should have used the word "roar" instead of "soar".
Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:26 pm
@littlek,
Oh,I am terribly sorry. I should have used the word "roar" instead of "soar".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:27 pm
@Nancy88,
Ah! That makes much more sense! A tiger cub roars in the valley, making numerous other beasts shiver.
Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:57 pm
@littlek,
Thank you for your warm help....
Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:03 pm
@Nancy88,
I feel like imperfect translations sometimes make the best metaphors. "Warm help" is a very nice, comforting phrase, I think.

FYI, I'm not trying to contribute anything useful here. I'm just sayin'.
Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:34 pm
@Gargamel,
Don't use the phrase "warm help" in English-speaking countries?
Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:36 pm
@Nancy88,
"Kind help" would work better in a formal context.

I like "warm help" better, but unfortunately it is not in common use.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:39 pm
@Nancy88,
We understand what you mean when you say "warm help", but it is not a phrase an english speaker would normally use. In America we would probably just say "thank you for all your help" or just "thank you". If it is different in other english speaking countries I am not aware of it.
0 Replies

Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:42 pm
@Gargamel,
We couldn’t imagine being wicked enough to smoke on the street, but it was sth to shoot for, sth that smacked of high heels and saying “damn” if you broke a nail.
I can not figure out the exact maening of this sentence. Does the phrase "shoot for" mean to take a photo here?
Gargamel

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:53 pm
@Nancy88,
Nancy88 wrote:

We couldn’t imagine being wicked enough to smoke on the street, but it was sth to shoot for, sth that smacked of high heels and saying “damn” if you broke a nail.
I can not figure out the exact maening of this sentence. Does the phrase "shoot for" mean to take a photo here?

"To shoot for" can be an idiom meaning "to try to achieve." To put it another way, the phrase is used when describing a goal one wants to reach.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 10:57 pm
sth is not an English word, nor is it any abbreviation or acronym I've ever heard of. not in use in the States.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:01 pm
I think the sentence means smoking in the streets was perceived by the narrator as an indication of being sophisticated and worldly and cool, definitely an early 20th century view. Today it's just perceived as being gross, something done by someone who completely lacks willpower.
Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
Many thanks. But in my country, when writing English, particularly in the classroom, we use "sth" for "something" and "sb" for "somebody". I have always believed it is acceptable in English-speaking countries. Thanks for your suggestion. Now I shall never use them in my communication with Americans.
Many thanks!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:38 pm
A wise idea, Nancy. I've never seen it used by Brits or Aussies either. The only other time I've come across its use was a vaguely remembered instance, here on a2k in fact, by another non-native speaker, Oristar or Tanguatly probably, which caused some head-scratching among the native speakers as to what it meant. Of course sometime in the last century when English started becoming a lingua franca (a term that's an interesting survival of a language widely used for intercommunication before English) used by people who spoke other mutually incomprehensible languages, then English escaped from the control of the native speakers--some of the varieties of Indian English can get fairly strange.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:48 am
@MontereyJack,
Sth is an abbreviation for 'something'. It's common in bi-lingual dictionaries.
0 Replies