strangled up in air

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:26 pm
yesterday my doc started me on oxygen including all night, so I get in bed and "hook up" with the thing in my nose, the tubing around my ears and my neck connected to the oxygen machine beside my bed. I woke several times during the night because the tubing was off from my ears and felt like I was strangling. other than that I slept fine but this morning I got to wondering, has anyone ever strangled to death from the oxygen tubing? that would be really weird I think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 2,527 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 01:27 pm
@dyslexia,
this is a job for duct tape, I am certain...

let us know how that works out, please.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 02:39 pm
@dyslexia,
I doubt it. Pretty hard to strangle on that thin tubing; not so hard to induce panic.

Sorry to hear you're tied to one more leash, though.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:13 pm
Try to design a soft hat with ear flaps that will help you bypass your own ears.

That ear thing is the most frequent complaint about oxygen.

Gives new meaning to heavy breathing in bed, doesn't it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 04:14 pm
@roger,
Braid it with your hair... kidding, dys and I just got off the phone.

There must be a way, talk to the Ox delivery guys. Maybe duct tape isn't so off, if you could tape it sort of loosely 0r velcro it, sort of loosely, to whatever you wear, or start to wear, like a tee shirt. (I have some double velcro tape if you can imagine that working.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:53 pm
I would think those delivery guys or even the dr. would have some helpful advice.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:58 pm
No advice, but I hope you work it out soon!
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:07 pm
Curses! My plan failed!

A
R
T
0 Replies

Golden Rule

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:25 am
@dyslexia,
Depending on your general, at rest, oxygen saturation and the position you sleep, it is possible that you could try the "blow-by"technique at night. I do this for infants and children all the time.

Simply use a nebulizer attachment instead of the cannula and clip it to your pillow, ensuring it literally "blows by" your face. Please talk with your pulmonologist first as lack of oxygen is obviously a bad thing. ; ) It may not be a high enough concentration at that point, without knowing your medical history.

There are also products on the market that securely fasten to your head instead of over the ears with the sliding band under your chin. They have not been proven any more effective, yet, so are not covered by most insurance as of now. Alot of foks simply put the sliding band behind their head, then sleep on their side, but you then run the risk of obstructing airflow through the tubing. Again, discuss with your doctor since he/she will most likely have a few suggestions as well.

Good luck and I hope it gets easier for you soon.
dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:54 am
@dyslexia,
Well, damn.

Mebbe a pair of rabbit ears on your head to sling the tubes on to?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:58 am
@Golden Rule,
Hello, Golden Rule, welcome to A2K.

dys -- I hope you get some decent rest soon.
Izzie

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:09 am
@dyslexia,
hmmm... been looking around to see what could stop the tubing from falling down etc...

so there was this

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Oxygen-cannula-discomfort/show/284911

which recommends this

http://www.salterlabs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.product&product_id=36&category_id=16

or something like this...

http://www.ventlab.com/nasal_cannula.htm

0 Replies

Golden Rule

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 02:40 pm
@JPB,
Thanks for the Welcome.... Still feeling my way around. Looks like a great forum.
0 Replies