The air tasted like a nickle. What does it mean?

Nancy88

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:29 am
The whole sentence is "The sky was stacked gray coulds and the air tasted like a nickle."
The authoe wrote this sentence in a beach.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 992 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:38 am
Well, i suspect that the words you wanted were clouds and nickel. A nickel is a five cent piece, an American and Canadian coin which is called a nickel because it is made of a nickel alloy.

If the sky was "stacked" with gray clouds, i would take that to mean that there were lots of clouds, which were gray, and which reached a considerable altitude. If you can see that the clouds are stacked, though, it can't be completely overcast. I've never sucked on a nickel, so i don't know what they taste like.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 05:41 am
@Nancy88,
Not knowing the context of the quote, it sounds like she's saying the air was laced with a smog which when breathed in gives the person a metallic taste in her or his mouth.

It sounds like the author is describing quite an unpleasant experience.
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 01:58 pm
@Nancy88,
Quote:
the air tasted like a nickle.

A nickel, having been handled by a lot of people might well have a salty taste. Given that this is a beach [ocean??] scene, that could be what the writer/speaker meant.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 02:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

...it sounds like she's saying the air was laced with a smog which when breathed in gives the person a metallic taste in her or his mouth.

This is exactly how I read that sentence.
0 Replies