variable

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:11 pm
When we say the inheritance of a disease (e.g. Selective IgA deficiency) is variable, we refer to "variable" as "Highly changeable?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 699 • Replies: 11
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 03:38 am
It seems simple but I want to be sure.
Thank you in anticipation.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:50 am
I'd say that heredity is a contributor to the likelihood of you getting a disease, much like stress, smoking, obesity, or bad diet.

Sounds like the deficiency is an inherited trait.
oristarA

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:59 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

I'd say that heredity is a contributor to the likelihood of you getting a disease, much like stress, smoking, obesity, or bad diet.

Sounds like the deficiency is an inherited trait.

But you did not answer my question.
Wink
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:04 am
@oristarA,
Are you sure that it's saying that the inheritance of SIgAD can be variable? There are two classes of inherited IgA deficiencies, selective (SIgAD) and variable (CVID). Here's a reference that describes both. I'd need to see the context of your statement before I could give an opinion of SIgAD being variable.
engineer

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:20 am
@oristarA,
It means that the incidence of inheritance is somewhat random. Some children will get the condition, others will not. In this case, it means "inconsistent".
McTag

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:58 am
@engineer,

Engineer is right. The incidence is not easily predictable.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 11:39 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Are you sure that it's saying that the inheritance of SIgAD can be variable? There are two classes of inherited IgA deficiencies, selective (SIgAD) and variable (CVID). Here's a reference that describes both. I'd need to see the context of your statement before I could give an opinion of SIgAD being variable.

Here is the context:

http://picload.org/image/agidio/123.jpg
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 09:54 am
@oristarA,
Great! It means that sometimes the inheritance is AD, or AR, or possibly even sex-linked.

Here's a description from the quote I linked above...

Quote:
Familial inheritance of either SIgAD or CVID occurs in about 20% of cases (Fig. 1). A different population prevalence in various ethnic groups, strong familial clustering of the disorder, a predominant inheritance pattern in multiple-case families compatible with autosomal dominant transmission, and a high relative risk for siblings suggest the involvement of thus far unidentified genetic factors in the pathogenesis of IgAD/CVID [8,9]. In multiple-case families with a dominant transmission of CVID/IgAD, CVID was usually present in the parents accompanied by IgAD in descendants [9]. This is consistent with the hypothesis that CVID may develop later in life as a more severe manifestation of a common, complex genetic defect, most likely involving immunoglobulin class switching.
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 10:12 am
@oristarA,
Ori -- is this the same Table 1 referenced in the phenotype question?
oristarA

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 08:36 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Ori -- is this the same Table 1 referenced in the phenotype question?

Yes.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2010 07:41 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Great! It means that sometimes the inheritance is AD, or AR, or possibly even sex-linked.

Here's a description from the quote I linked above...

Quote:
Familial inheritance of either SIgAD or CVID occurs in about 20% of cases (Fig. 1). A different population prevalence in various ethnic groups, strong familial clustering of the disorder, a predominant inheritance pattern in multiple-case families compatible with autosomal dominant transmission, and a high relative risk for siblings suggest the involvement of thus far unidentified genetic factors in the pathogenesis of IgAD/CVID [8,9]. In multiple-case families with a dominant transmission of CVID/IgAD, CVID was usually present in the parents accompanied by IgAD in descendants [9]. This is consistent with the hypothesis that CVID may develop later in life as a more severe manifestation of a common, complex genetic defect, most likely involving immunoglobulin class switching.

Thanks.

In "DiGEORGE AD large deletions," does "large" mean "extensive?"

0 Replies