one or another = ?

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 08:37 pm
recognized = widely accepted?

Context:

Attendees at the Colloquium noted the surprisingly large number of primary immunodeficiency diseases already molecularly characterized in which there is recognized one or another autoimmune phenotype [4]. Those discussed particularly at the meeting are shown in Table 1.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 554 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 11:05 pm
@oristarA,
present
oristarA

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 08:59 am
@Miss L Toad,
I'm afraid: NO.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 09:12 am
acknowledged
oristarA

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:00 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

acknowledged

In another post, you've replied me with "= one or more" which I could not understand very well.

Thus appears this thread.

JTT

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 11:41 pm
@oristarA,
In another post, you've replied to me with ...

Here's a situation where the present perfect [PP] is just marginal. I say marginal because the strong tendency is to not use the PP when it is accompanied by such a direct reference past time adverbial connoting a single event, ie. "In another post".

With a general past time adverbial, eg. 'before', there would be no hesitation [though there would also be no compulsion] in using the PP,

You've replied to me before with ...

even if the speaker meant a one time event.

There are times when we override this tendency when we want to use the PP of current importance. If Ori was speaking in a strident/angry/emotional fashion, I'd say that the PP is a possibility here.
oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 12:08 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

In another post, you've replied to me with ...

Here's a situation where the present perfect [PP] is just marginal. I say marginal because the strong tendency is to not use the PP when it is accompanied by such a direct reference past time adverbial connoting a single event, ie. "In another post".

With a general past time adverbial, eg. 'before', there would be no hesitation [though there would also be no compulsion] in using the PP,

You've replied to me before with ...

even if the speaker meant a one time event.

There are times when we override this tendency when we want to use the PP of current importance. If Ori was speaking in a strident/angry/emotional fashion, I'd say that the PP is a possibility here.

Oops! I've made a terrible mistake inadvertently BECAUSE OF the ignorance of the nuance about the usage of the PP.

Thank you JTT.

You're an excellent English teacher always.
JTT

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 12:25 am
@oristarA,
One thing that you must keep in mind, Ori, is that this override tendency that I spoke of is not at all common. It's found mostly, when it's found, in news stories where there is a great tendency to want to make the news seem as current, and therefore as important as possible.

It's not at all common in speech because the alternative of using the simple past tense exists, especially in NaE.
oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 06:21 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

One thing that you must keep in mind, Ori, is that this override tendency that I spoke of is not at all common. It's found mostly, when it's found, in news stories where there is a great tendency to want to make the news seem as current, and therefore as important as possible.

It's not at all common in speech because the alternative of using the simple past tense exists, especially in NaE.

Thanks.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:04 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
in which there is recognized one or another autoimmune phenotype

Did this get answered?

one or another autoimmune phenotype = one type of autoimmune phenotype or another.

i.e. from the range of a.p.'s, select one or other.
oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:11 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:
in which there is recognized one or another autoimmune phenotype

Did this get answered?

one or another autoimmune phenotype = one type of autoimmune phenotype or another.

i.e. from the range of a.p.'s, select one or other.

Well, one + another = one or more.

So JPB's correct.

BTW, what does "recognized" mean? "Well accepted?" Or "widely agreed?"

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:28 am
@McTag,
I think ori's confusion is that I indicated that "one or another" can also infer more than one phenotype. I'm curious how the information in the referenced Table 1 is laid out. I could be wrong in that, but I believe that the situation described (primary immunodeficiency diseases already molecularly characterized) may fall into more than one autoimmune phenotype.
McTag

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 01:33 pm
@JPB,

Hi JPB. Noted, but not understood. The scientific parts I must leave to you and others. Grateful for your efforts though, most illuminating.

Oristar, no, one or another does not mean one + another.
It means "any one" (from an specified sample).
oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:33 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Hi JPB. Noted, but not understood. The scientific parts I must leave to you and others. Grateful for your efforts though, most illuminating.

Oristar, no, one or another does not mean one + another.
It means "any one" (from an specified sample).

Yes, sir. Grammatically speaking, yous opinion holds water.

But scientifically, JPB's may ring true. And sometimes in translation, we need to catch its meaning while ignoring its appearances.

McTag

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 05:05 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
And sometimes in translation, we need to catch its meaning while ignoring its appearances.

Quite right, and that is why I participate in these questions. The foreigner, however diligent, can not expect to pick up on all the nuances of the language.
0 Replies