meaning of "suggest"

fansy

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:44 pm
Quote:
Richard X. Bove, an analyst at Punk Ziegel & Company, noted the trend in a recent note to investors and suggested that the reason was strong buying from portfolios that use computer models to buy and sell quickly, a practice known as program trading, or a foreign source like the investment arm of the Chinese government.

What does "suggest" mean in the above context?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 686 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:22 pm
@fansy,
Alternatives to 'Suggested' in that sentence, would include:

'put forward the idea'
'postulated'
'speculated'
'considered'
'declared'
'proposed'

Don't know if that helps.
0 Replies

DrDick

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:32 pm
Given the context I would say it is a guess. If it would have said the analyst "stated" it would be more definitive. The causes confuse me...either program trading or Chinese/foreign investment? I don't have the background knowledge, but wouldn't those causes be extremely different in the way they manifest themselves? How could you not tell the difference?
fansy

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 10:01 pm
@DrDick,
Quote:
Richard X. Bove, an analyst at Punk Ziegel & Company, noted the trend in a recent note to investors and suggested that the reason was strong buying from portfolios that use computer models to buy and sell quickly, a practice known as program trading, or a foreign source like the investment arm of the Chinese government.

Quote:
1. To offer for consideration or action; propose: suggest things for children to do; suggested that we take a walk.
2. To bring or call to mind by logic or association; evoke: a cloud that suggests a mushroom; a ringlike symbol suggesting unity.
3. To make evident indirectly; intimate or imply: a silence that suggested disapproval.4. To serve as or provide a motive for; prompt or demand: Such a crime suggests apt punishment.

I found 4 definitions for "suggest", I have one sense in mind, but I would like you to choose one definition for me, and see if we think alike.
0 Replies

DrDick

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:17 am
I would go with :
3. To make evident indirectly; intimate or imply
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 09:07 pm
@fansy,
opined
0 Replies

McTag