Movies that make you feel good

RexRed

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:53 am
This discussion is not meant to be an insult on Hollywood. (but) I will say that a good number of the movies that come out now are dark and leave one feeling simply bad for watching them. That does not mean that they do not make great movies today too. For instance I just watched the movie "Invictus", a story about Nelson Mandela's life and I was in tears and in awe during the entire film. Thank you Hollywood, Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman (for, as always, a brilliant performance).

What ever happened to the typical Hollywood musical. Someone in Hollywood decided that getting up and singing in a film spontaneously was gay and out they went. Well I protest this. I grew up on musicals and now my life seems empty without them as they once were. Yes some singing films have come out and there is of course the show "Glee" too which I thoroughly have enjoyed.

Lately I have taken to watching Ballywood films because they seem to care about musical numbers in movies and they perform these musical numbers (and dance) flawlessly in films with that same awe I felt as a child watching the old musicals. Like the movie "Dhoom 2" which I raved about for weeks after I first saw it and have watched it many times since.

I implore Hollywood to bring back the Hollywood musical in a big way. Just look at the success that the show "Glee" has had. The world wants and needs these musicals back. How about a singing super hero? Smile

I am getting to the point where I will watch only so much of a film and if it starts out too decadent and senselessly violent I will just shut it off. I want a better world than I have seen in the last couple of decades. Don't get me wrong many great films have come out in the last couple of decades also. But something has been lost overall.

Horror films have eclipsed the market and they seem to be dominating the whole genre now. I love my super hero flicks and occasionally a good murder mystery but there are movies I would never even dream of watching because they have nearly zero plot and they are all simply violence. I will abstain from listing them here.

A movie can be psychologically intense. dramatic and still make you think in a positive way if cleverly constructed. Movies are now so much action and visual effects that they don't seem to have the intellectual currency to sustain them as a whole. I have seen many great movies in the last couple decades but cutting the musical in general has been a big mistake.

Please list movies here in this discussion that gave you a good feeling when you watched them. Sure movies have to have an antagonist and some dark adversary to compel the viewer toward a deeply psychological conclusion. I loved Disney's latest movie called "The Princess and the Frog". Of all the drawings that went into that animated movie every sketch and line was worth it. Am I relegated to watching children's movies to enjoy myself these days watching a movie?

Again this thread is not intended to insult Hollywood it is just to allow viewers to give their own input on where the themes of movies should go in the future, plot wise and musically.

I am not against adult themes but sometimes singing it and not just simply saying it has much more class and is more palatable to the heart.

Please list your favorite movies/musicals and explain why. Even old movies are welcome in this discussion. Perhaps some of us have not seen them yet.

Oh yea, "Drumline" is a great movie too about marching bands who compete for state championships. Along those lines.

I love the movie "Australia" too though no one notably sung in the film it had that feel good quality. If you list your favorite movies here in this discussion I will go out rent it and come back here and "honestly" comment.

Love and thank you
Rex
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 10,580 • Replies: 94
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 03:18 am
I loved The Blind Side which is the true story of Michael Oher, who started out as a homeless teen and ended up playing professional football.
spidergal

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 03:32 am
Love the thread - we could all do with some pick-me-up movies!

I was going to mention The Blind Side, too. Absolutely loved it - it's the perfect light-hearted inspirational movie.

While I didn't find it great in the entertainment department, a movie called The (A?) Peaceful Warrior might work for some. It is, too, claimed to be a true story. I love the theme music though!

If you're into Bollywood, Rex, I would suggest the following movies:

1. 3 Idiots: This was a blockbuster hit. Based on three engineering freshers and their trials and tribulations through college.

2. Tare Zameen Par: About a little dyslexic kid and how his mentor helps him get over the problem, which had his parents think the kid is nuts.

I have found both of these to be great in each department - direction, acting, and music. TZP, especially, has some very moving score.

I've watched Bollywood all my life, and will likely have more suggestions, but these are the two I can think of from the latest crop.

Oh wait! You gotta watch Chak De India too! Not much by way of music, but it's the ultimate pick-me-up flick of our times. Revolves around a tainted hockey player's life who goes on to coach the Indian women's hockey team, then in shambles, to world cup glory.
spidergal

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 03:37 am
Also, I've been meaning to watch both Invictus and Glee. The former I'll buy a a DVD of soon, but I'm unable to find Glee anywhere - and I don't watch TV, to make things worse!
RexRed

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 04:26 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

Love the thread - we could all do with some pick-me-up movies!

I was going to mention The Blind Side, too. Absolutely loved it - it's the perfect light-hearted inspirational movie.

While I didn't find it great in the entertainment department, a movie called The (A?) Peaceful Warrior might work for some. It is, too, claimed to be a true story. I love the theme music though!

If you're into Bollywood, Rex, I would suggest the following movies:

1. 3 Idiots: This was a blockbuster hit. Based on three engineering freshers and their trials and tribulations through college.

2. Tare Zameen Par: About a little dyslexic kid and how his mentor helps him get over the problem, which had his parents think the kid is nuts.

I have found both of these to be great in each department - direction, acting, and music. TZP, especially, has some very moving score.

I've watched Bollywood all my life, and will likely have more suggestions, but these are the two I can think of from the latest crop.

Oh wait! You gotta watch Chak De India too! Not much by way of music, but it's the ultimate pick-me-up flick of our times. Revolves around a tainted hockey player's life who goes on to coach the Indian women's hockey team, then in shambles, to world cup glory.

Spidergal, I am so into Bollywood Smile

"3 idiots" was at the top of my list I have seen that and absolutely love it! I came very close to mentioning it in my opening blurb. Sad but vital to understanding culture, brilliantly conceived and made, awesome twist in the end that brings out a good laugh and a smile. I absolutely loved the film! Beautiful musical score in 3 idiots too! Also "Udaan" yanked the ole tears out of me too. Smile Passionate movie that left me thinking for days.

I am off to acquire the other movies you mentioned and I will comment on them very soon. Thanks for your thoughtful input!

Any more suggestions are most welcome on the Bollywood front.

I am reminded of a movie I saw about a Jamaican bob-sled team that was a nice one too! John Candy was in that what a great movie that was.

Here it is I Googled it

Cool Runnings
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106611/

Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 04:31 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

Also, I've been meaning to watch both Invictus and Glee. The former I'll buy a a DVD of soon, but I'm unable to find Glee anywhere - and I don't watch TV, to make things worse!

I don't watch TV either, mostly because I am glued to the internet Smile

You can watch past Glee episodes here on hulu.com for free

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=glee&st=1&fs=

I recommend you start at Glee season 1 episode 1 and so on...

Smile
spidergal

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 04:33 am
@RexRed,
Hulu.com is not available in my country sadly and nor are the official sites of the major television channels that screen shows for free.
RexRed

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 04:39 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I loved The Blind Side which is the true story of Michael Oher, who started out as a homeless teen and ended up playing professional football.

Now I think I have seen that.

Yup, just goggled it. I was definitely touched by the way the white family took the young black football player in and bonded. I questioned their motives even toward the end but not enough to ruin the movie for me. Sandra bullock was absolutely incredible in the movie. That movie made me feel good for sure! Smile Thanks Aidan

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 04:53 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

Hulu.com is not available in my country sadly and nor are the official sites of the major television channels that screen shows for free.

Darn why do they do that? Copyright things are so convoluted.

I have some copyrighted items on youtube that are say banned in every country but the USA or are available worldwide except, of all places, Germany.

I am not going to complain because at least youtube is allowing my, err, "infringement" video edits out to some places but I don't understand it. But it is not really for me to say.

Hopefully the world becomes all inclusive in the near future Smile

I liked the movie called "When in Rome" it is a romance comedy, as is "Couples Retreat" which (the latter) started out slow and even dragged at points and some parts actually annoyed me but then it warms up totally in the end.
spidergal

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 05:03 am
@RexRed,
Yeah, copyright issues, I believe.

Is When in Rome the one starring Kirsten Bell of the Heroes fame? I tried watching it, I think, but got too bored of it.
RexRed

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 01:35 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

Yeah, copyright issues, I believe.

Is When in Rome the one starring Kirsten Bell of the Heroes fame? I tried watching it, I think, but got too bored of it.

Haha I love Danny Devito so I bore though it. You're funny. Smile

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 02:42 pm
I loved , EIGHT BELOW, a moving, warm movie.

Man's best friend. We owe them so much.
RexRed

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 03:35 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

I loved , EIGHT BELOW, a moving, warm movie.

Man's best friend. We owe them so much.

I love "Eight Below" awesome drama about survival in the most inhospitable places on earth. Yes, it does warm up the heart and great movie keep 'em coming! Smile
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 09:08 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
Haha I love Danny Devito so I bore though it. You're funny.

Why, thank you!

RexRed

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 12:09 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

Quote:
Haha I love Danny Devito so I bore though it. You're funny.

Why, thank you!

Watching Chak De India right now! About 1/3 of the way through and it sure does not disappoint! Exactly what i was looking for. Love it, love it love it! A definite feel good movie.

Really awesome theme and it is nice seeing the girls all bond from different parts of India's great culture. Breaking stereo types as a team, truly touching so far and deeply moving and the music soundtrack is perfectly made and fits the movie to a tee.

The beginning was sad and I am glad the coach is given a chance to prove himself.

Gonna watch the rest now, just took a break to savor the moment and make such a nice experience last even longer.

I expect a 5 out of 5 star ending too!

Thanks again for the suggestion. Ok back to Bollywood, YAY! Smile
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:04 am
Yep Chak De is a very feel good film.

Also do watch "Jab We Met". Its a nice romantic film. Have u watched "Dil Chahta Hai"?
spidergal

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 02:30 am
Glad for you, Rex!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 02:37 am
I am a fan of women's hockey now! Smile Awesome movie Chak De India.

Great acting performances and well written script. The brawl at the Mc Donalds was totally hilarious lol and when the (not sure what title position she played) little short player passes the ball to her team mate and her team mate scored that was another memorable and touching moment in the movie.

God/Allah is tastefully mentioned a few times in the film yet in the past I remember standing at first base with a bat in my hand saying a few prayers myself.

Funny how sports brings out the spirit in people.

Yup a firm 5 out of 5 stars! Great vibes all around. Smile
Ionus

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:36 am
The first half of Apocalypse Now...that movie makes me feel great...I wanna go out and kill somtin afta wachin it.
spidergal

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 04:50 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
The brawl at the Mc Donalds was totally hilarious lol and when the (not sure what title position she played) little short player passes the ball to her team mate and her team mate scored that was another memorable and touching moment in the movie.

Exactly my sentiments when I watched it at the threatre several years ago.
--

You may also consider watching Rang De Basanti, Rex. I was initially reluctant to mention it because of the rather patriotic flavor of the movie, but since you enjoy watching Indian culture, I believe, it wouldn't be hard for you to digest it.

RDB is a great, great movie - it took the country's youth by storm when it was released in 2005.

We all seriously wanted to kill someone after watching it. Smile

0 Replies